1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Gun safety instructor accidentally shoots student

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Adi, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh the irony...

US concealed gun safety teacher shoots student

A gun instructor in the US state of Ohio has accidentally shot a student in the arm in a class for people seeking permits to carry a concealed firearm.

Terry Dunlap, 73, was demonstrating a .38-calibre pistol when it went off and struck Michael Piemonte, 26.

He and his wife were taking the day-long class in order to carry guns for their own safety, he told local media.

Source: BBC News - US concealed gun safety teacher shoots student

2. I'd like to hear more on the circumstances here. On the face of it, it looks like the main rule of gun safety got broken: don't point it at anything you don't want to shoot. As a safety instructor, he should have known this rule by heart. Yet another example why we Americans need to pay a bit more attention to gun safety. We have far too many accidents like this, and they can be prevented by some basic steps.

#2 Cassindra Starlight, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Hexagon

At least he survived.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This says it all.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdKr1jlDzW4[/youtube]

5. biggayguy

DON'T POINT THE GUN AT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO LIVE! Sorry for the shouting. That is something my dad drilled into me at the age of five when I accidentally pointed my (unloaded) rifle at him.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This would happen in Ohio.

Also, he really should've known the rule about pointing the gun at things that you don't want to shoot.

7. biggayguy

There's another rule that should have stopped this. Keep the safety switch on until you're ready to fire. The gun will not fire if the safety is on. It makes me wonder how hard the instructor test is here in Ohio. https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...CbauNHkyZeYX7BE2e2YmOl0jl7qdJyAbBLYaYjJlKoIDb

#7 biggayguy, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guns don't kill people....people kill people.

9. transporter76

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My observation is that as is with this story, stories involving guns and shootings seem to go to the front of the national news line. But you never hear about the numbers of people killed in motor vehicle crashes, tho they claim about 85 lives daily. I'm sure a good portion of those deaths are children too. But only gun deaths are real news.

10. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    motor vehicle crashes are accident.

gunshots are murder.

You don't get into a car to deliberatly have an accident and kill someone, but you pick up a gun to deliberately shoot it and kill someone.

11. Ticklish Fish

those thing goes on news once a year or a little more for statistics of annual leading deaths or something

12. starfish

I've owned a gun ever since I was in grade school. I've never once pointed pointed a gun at living creature, let alone fire at one. So I disagree with you there.

13. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    do I need to draw a picture to explain the difference between 'owning' a gun and 'firing' a gun?

disagree all you like :wink:

14. poison53sumac

If the INSTRUCTOR can't properly handle a gun, why should that instructor be teaching others?
    However, only one of many idiotic gun-related happenings in the United States of Psycho. Did you know that the state of Utah will give practically anyone a concealed-carry permit, not only for use in Utah, and not even required to get said permit in [/I]Utah? A person could go to a shop someplace in Maryland or somewhere and get a Utah-issued permit to carry a concealed weapon, even if said person has no idea how to handle a firearm. Maybe that's what happened with the Ohio instructor.

15. Randy Renaud

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    dats really sad. The instructors need to be more careful about every move they make.

16. Convoy

Small firearms don't always have 'safety' and they can easily dislodge. Make no mistake, "Safe" mode or group is not make a firearm "SAFE" or not able to go off; in some situations it actually requires the round to be in the chamber and the sears/hammers/mechanisms/etc to be engaged, illegal carry conditions in many areas and states.

Small firearms scare me especially those made for carry, they're the most common source of accidents and are extremely sensitive and hard to use. They don't have the control a larger firearm would have and are difficult to use properly without risk to others.

Just another reason to not point guns at (Or near) people. I'm amazed at the number of gun owners who don't follow this rule, or ignore it when they think they're unloaded, and then negligently shoot someone.

Why can't they make these things harder to get.. ? :eusa_doh:

17. The gun should have been unloaded...

18. Convoy

It shouldn't even be fireable if your going to point it at someone. Slide removed, trigger sears, barrel blocked, cleared, cylinders removed, firing pins removed, etc.

Pointing anything that could shoot at someone is a bad idea, regardless. The instructor should have known this.

Just "unloading" really isn't enough.