1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Outcry over free schools’ Section 28-style ban on ‘promoting homosexuality’ reveals m

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Re: Outcry over free schools’ Section 28-style ban on ‘promoting homosexuality’ revea

This whole promoting homosexuality is such crap.

I felt like an outcast in high school because I had no information regarding my sexuality.

Gay kids would feel better about themselves if they were acknowledged in the educational system.

#2 KyleD, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Outcry over free schools’ Section 28-style ban on ‘promoting homosexuality’ revea

Institutionalized homophobia, that's what it is. Quite frankly, I'm tired of all this "promotion" of heterosexuality I see everywhere.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Are you KIDDING ME?! We're seriously talking about this where SSM just was legalized? REALLY? Ugh my head hurts.

5. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Time should be making education more inclusive, not restrictive. What's the point of teaching sex education if you act like only 1 type exists?! :bang: And don't even get me started on how messed up it is to force a Trans* woman to sit through straight male sex education. Cause I totally needed to be made self-conscious of my body being incorrect while going through the nightmare of dealing with the wrong puberty. Works wonders on the self-esteem. :dry:

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Even if they were "promoting" homosexuality, do they think that it will win any converts? "I was planning on being straight, but they showed me that dicks can be so hot!"

7. kresukun

I was never taught anything regarding homosexuality, I always knew I was different and I feel as if I was never given that support I supposedly needed during my time in adolescence.

8. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wait...so public sex education didn't enforce in you that men can only have the relations with women? You must have been indoctrinated by the *gasps!* gay agenda! Someone get Pat Robinson on the phone stat! *hits the hetero panic button* Code red! Code red!

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Don't forget General Fred Phelps and Lieutenant Bryan Fischer!

10. Holly

There's a free school in my town and this has just made me dislike them even more. The take the idea that if homosexuality is talked enoug about, people will actually turn gay... Instead, this is just harming many young people who feel like they can't be themselves because their sexuality is so repressed. Definitely sounds like we're still in the 1960s...

11. qboy

From other articles I've read it looks like the DfE guidelines were last formally updated in 2001, before section 28 was repealed, in 2003, and no one has noticed in the interim, and these "new" schools (i.e. opting out of local authority control to get some money) are doing simple copy and paste jobs. This whole "free schools / academies / whatever fad Osbourne is on this week" fiasco means they are under heightened scrutiny and this has obviously been picked up. Looks like now is the time for a whole scale review of various recommendations like this which are aimed at schools (and not just on issues regarding sexuality) but there's little change of that while this government is performing it's daily u-turns and meddling.

As for the "promotion of homosexuality" -the way Section 28 was interpreted meant that teachers felt couldn't intervene when kids were being abused for being "gay" (i.e. the bullies quickly learnt they had carte blance to do as much bullying as they liked provided they restricted terms to things like poof, queer, bender and batty boy, even if the recipient was straight or had no idea of their sexuality) :tantrum:

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I believe that the 1970's ended in the 1970's. Clearly these guys don't understand what progress should look like.

13. qboy

Alas the legislation which resulted in this wording is much more modern than that - originally introduced in 1988, repealed in 2003.:bang: