1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Michigan candidate for governor announces support for marriage equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 20, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In separate press conferences today, both Governor Rick Snyder (R-MI) and Democratic candidate for governor Mark Schauer were both questioned on their views on gay marriage and adding sexual orientation protection to the Michigan Civil Rights Act.

Snyder deflected the question and answered, "I'm staying focused on jobs, kids and seniors at this point. I appreciate legislators looking at lots of issues and if they want to address that, that's okay."

Schauer (pronounced "shower"), answered, "Absolutely. Absolutely we should not discriminate against a class of people because of their sexual orientation or who they love."

On the question of marriage, Snyder said that he supports civil unions, but not marriage. Schauer stated, "I would vote yes to allowing same sex marriage in Michigan."

Civil unions are legally impossible in the State of Michigan for the moment, as the Michigan Constitution states "Only marriage between a man or a woman shall be recognized for any purpose."

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Rick Snyder, John Kasich, and Scott Walker all get re-elected.

As for Tom Corbett, he's pretty much dead man walking, and even his own staffers know it.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Snyder is a pure toss-up. Last I heard, Schauer's up 4. Michigan's unemployment rate is up to 8.8%. As Bill Clinton put it, "It's the economy, stupid." Not to mention the local dictator law, which the voters repealed in November. The Republicans in Lansing decided to say "screw the voters" and just passed another one. Arrogance at its finest.

As for Walker, I can't believe Wisconsinites were stupid enough not to throw him out the first time they could, and now they're going to re-elect him.

Same goes for Kasich.

#3 AwesomGaytheist, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck Schauer

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kasich has done a pretty solid job with the economy in Ohio, actually. His approval numbers have improved, too. If he runs for president, which he might, I'd consider supporting him. He's probably going to get re-elected as governor as well.

As for Snyder, he's in a very tough situation in that state because it's a disaster. Doesn't matter who's the governor of Michigan; it's going to take a long time for it to get better there. Conservatives can make the point that Detroit is the epitome of what unchallenged, corrupt Democratic policies can do and, though Detroit's demise can't solely be blamed on Democrats, Republicans certainly have an argument.

Walker is OK as well, but I like Kasich more.

#5 Mike92, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013