1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Transgender Woman Killed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Data, Aug 26, 2013.

1. kresukun

When I read stories like this, I fear for the future. In the article is said that the amount of hate crime has doubled and that is very worrying. The circumstances are also very sad considering it was near a police precinct. This world just sucks sometimes.

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Sad, I don't know what is going on, but unfortunately NYC has been hit very hard with a slew of anti-LGBTQ hate crimes, I think this is the second fatality this year. In May, a gay man was shot dead in Greenwich Village, now this beating of a trans woman in Harlem. And the police can't really even be counted on to stop this.

Hopefully the next mayor coming in will do something to put a stop to this spate of hate.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least the comments are decent.

4. Data

Data Guest

As do I. As do I...

I wish we lived in a world where I didn't need my guns and knives. It's not a big deal clipping my folder on, or even my Glock 78 for that matter, but it is a failure of humanity that we need weapons to go about our daily business.

I wish the Pink Pistols was a bit more popular.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not an isolated event, unfortunately. Because of their unique situation, experiencing multiple forms of oppression, transwomen of color are one of the most vulnerable demographics in America. As much as I'd love to say things are getting better, I know they're not for everyone.

http://www.transgenderdor.org/
    TransRespect-Transphobia - ALL REPORTED MURDERS OF TRANS PEOPLE SINCE 2008
    http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2012/11/20/13-transgender-americans-murdered-2012?page=full

^Take a look at these links to see just how widespread the problem is, and how much is left to be done.

#6 gravechild, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    IN NYC?! what the heck?!

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

NYC has been a hotbed for anti-LGBTQ hate crimes for the past year...

And it's also true, as mentioned, that trans women of color have been a popular target for hate crimes pretty much everywhere.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why going to NYC again scares the shit out of me.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Eh well statistically speaking NYC is still safer than pretty much any other big city in America. LGBTQ peeps have just gotten used to being so loud and proud here that now we are seeing a backlash as desperate bigots see themselves losing their control over society. Just be aware of where you are and your surroundings and avoid attracting trouble.

I remember not too long ago getting drunk and making out with a guy at 3 am on a subway from Hell's Kitchen to Washington Heights, I've been so paranoid about hate crimes that I would have never done that sober, but we survived, things aren't that bad!

10. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really surprised that most of them are positive. Usually this kind of stuff attracts comments like the one below. :dry:

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't want to wish death on anyone but I really kind of wish heartless douche knew what it felt like to fear for his life for something he can't change...

12. suninthesky

The amount of hate crimes doubled might mean that more are actually being reported. Statistically it might seem bad, but it might be a good thing in the long run that more are reported instead of people just ignoring them.

13. LateNightWolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This made me really depressed, stuff like this always does. Especially Transgender day of remembrance. The comments on the article were terrible. Good luck to family and friends. Hoping things will be alright at the Pride in Austin in a week or so.

14. So tragic. I feel bad for saying this, but I really don't trust police. After this and Trayvon Martin, in addition to other atrocities, I just wanna GTFO out this country where the police could care less about minorities' fates.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is why I think the queer community needs its defenders to take up arms...

16. boysdontcry

This is absolutely terrible, may Islan Nettles rest in peace. But I am glad that it's being so publicized. People need to know that this happens, and not in frequently, and maybe the circulation of this report will raise much needed awareness.

17. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

WHEN are these ignorant racist bigots going to realize we are all EQUAL =. rip.

;(

18. DesertTortoise

Good to keep in mind that the rise in Queer and trans violence is related to a rise in open racism from politicians and right wing talk radio mouth pieces. 72% of these incidents, that article said, happened to POC. Every hurtful act of bigotry, hurts all, is an act against all marginalized people of every kind.

19. June Cleaver

This is so sad! It worries me to see articles like this as he has not even been charged with her murder yet. Like it is open season on us Trans-women and you can be out on the streets for $200 at a bail bondsmen. I just don't understand how a judge could let him out on such a low bond, or that the police did not charged him with at least attempted murder before she died...... June