1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Transgender Student Faces ‘Outing’ Over Schools Policies

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sinopaa, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transgender students face ‘outing’ when schools do not have inclusive policies

*sighs*

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this is basically one of those moments where people are going "Don't ask me, I just work here" which actually is fine, because they're not in the position to be looking for that kind of information. They're just the photographer, not the person in charge of all of it. When things are ambiguous, then it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's very uplifting though, that the person who's in charge of all of it is doing their job. Props to them.

3. DhammaGamer

The fact of the matter is that the school is required to use legal information for the purpose of registrars services. A legal name change is cheap, simple, and one of the easiest parts of transition. If I was the 19 year old registrar's work study employee working for the university in question then maybe I could be a little more sympathetic and understanding, but even then I could not in any way change the legal policies associated with the school. After going full-time I emailed all of my professors personally to inform them of my correct name and the fact that a name change would be finalized within the semester. There were no issues whatsoever. This is not news, it is sensationalism.

4. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The school isn't the problem here, it's the fact that the government apparently can't change someone's legal name without charging them an amount beyond their means.