1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Kindergarten sex ed in Chicago

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fiddledeedee, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Fiddledeedee

I think this is very good news. CPS Mandates Sexual, Health Education For Kindergarten « CBS Chicago

Lots of people are blowing up over it because they think that it's sexualising kids or part of the gay liberal agenda or something, but it's really giving age-appropriate information which can prevent abuse. I hope that more kindergartens and elementary schools adopt such programs rather than shying away from the controversial issue.

2. Tim

Tim

Honestly?

I feel Kindergarten is too young for sex ed - at least from a school.

3. ScatteredEarth

I thought it was bad enough to have 4th graders learn sex ed.. Truth is it really isn't something that the schools SHOULD teach. It's something that your parents should ball up to do.

4. LinkLarkin

I agree with this. They're not teaching the children anything that could become harmful due to their naiveté, they're just teaching them the basics that will set a solid foundation for their learning later in life, and also enable them to be more comfortable with their bodies and sexuality than the majority of adults in the developed world are today.

5. JessicaWolfess

Because kindergarteners are just doing it all the time and getting pregnant

6. TraceElement

In my opinion, schools should be teaching the children about bullying, "bad touches", and things like this. I feel that it could empower them to speak up and say something.

7. lukeluvznicki13

This is sad.
    They shouldn't teach kindergartens. Too young and that itself is telling children to grow up too fast (too lazy to go into the details).
    But yeah, they should teach this when they are 11 or 12.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy mother of fuck, I thought this would NEVER happen.

This is actually something I've been dreaming about. Something I thought people were just too afraid to do.

I've argued that it's a better idea to let kids know about this kind of stuff earlier in their lives so that when the time comes, they're more than prepared than we are. You'd think conservatives would be all for this, considering they're always against us, arguing that we're never prepared, but that's always contradicted with their view that we're still too young to know about sex (although their ancestors were MUCH younger anyway) and that it should be something for ADULTS ONLY or something nobody should ever know. And THAT's contradicted with their argument that same-sex marriage is bad because it's not procreating.

There's a difference between letting kids know what their bodies do later in life, and telling them "Okay Bobby, now try it on Angelina". It's like educating them about alcohol. The younger they know that alcohol is dangerous and it makes holes in your brain, the less likely they're going to scream "BEER!" and chug all of it at the age of 16.

It's kind of like D.A.R.E, but D.A.R.E has one problem, and it's actually something that's counterproductive to their agenda, which is that they spend a good amount of time telling you "Hey, this drug does this stuff when you're high. You see colors and stuff on LSD, man". Yes, they still teach you that LSD is bad and the harmful effects, but it's still not as re-iterated as "LSD can make you see things". Or that was the case in my D.A.R.E. class.

I'm surprised this is a Chicago decision. And I'm VERY happily surprised.

#8 Jinkies, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  9. Jonathan

I honestly don't see the harm in teaching kindergarten students what their body parts are, what is appropriate and inappropriate touching and the diversity of families that exist. It's not like they're actually teaching them about sex...

10. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

This is sick. I wasn't ready to learn about it in fourth grade, there's no way that kids in kintergarden need to learn about this. Chigaco is a freak show!

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Are the people disagreeing with the article even reading it?!

They are teaching little kids how to avoid being RAPED! How can you be against that?

They aren't teaching kids how to have sex, what positions to use, and where to buy that dildo that everyone is talking about. They are teaching kids the names of their body parts, you know, like arms and hands. Apparently learning what a penis and vagina are is going to damage them, because teaching shame about your body is much better...

These changes are based on many studies and are applied as such. Keeping kids in the dark about sexuality and their own bodies has been showed to have negative effects over and over again.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to Dr. Phil, sex education starts at birth. Don't know what the point of teaching a newborn about sex is...

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Edend Thank you. I was going to mention that as well.

But not only are they teaching kids how to avoid being raped, they're also teaching kids how to recognize that and report it, should the case happen.

To put things into perspective, every day I went to school last year, especially during the winter, there was a man on the corner of the Daley Center who was wearing an anti-child rape sign, and blew two quick whistles about every 10 seconds. I mean, not only does that get annoying after a few days, but it also does paint the picture, "Hey. This is a serious problem that still hasn't been dealt with"

I honestly think this is a wonderful way of dealing with that. Chicago is very dangerous in certain areas, and I can only imagine how often it does happen, especially in those areas. You'd think the CPD are constantly running around, and while you do see them about, they're bored, more often than not. So while these kinds of crimes happen, nobody's reporting to the police.

#13 Jinkies, Sep 9, 2013
  14. Ticklish Fish

I thought this is against pedophile..

or the annoying "im touching/not touching you" or "im touching your weenis/elbow" whatever that is.

man, being a kid was too long ago.

15. 2112

Sounds good to me. They're not telling the kids how to have sex (they don't have those feelings yet anyway...), just how to avoid rape and what to do if it does happen.

16. Saint Otaku

Yup, I agree with this. I think a sort of gradual sex-ed program starting at this age would be beneficial. Since I realized myself sexually in the 5th grade, I think the 4th or 5th is the perfect time for "real" sex-ed.

17. Ridiculous

I can only hope so because I expected a better response from this forum.

I think it's important that sex and sexuality and our own bodies aren't something that is seen (explicitly or implicitly) as something bad or shameful or something that should only be dealt with when you are a certain age. Nothing good is going to come from that.

Children don't become sex-crazed as soon as they learn about these things - usually the opposite happens and they become more aware and knowledgeable and controlled.

#17 Ridiculous, Sep 9, 2013
  18. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

I had no concept of sex until 5th grade, and even then, after the school approved "class", I had to reach out to my parents for clarification. It wasn't until 8th grade (14 years old) that I really said, "Hey I like other guys". After that well...

Please, regardless of faith or belief, let kids be kids. Toss rocks off the old train track (I swear I saw the Godzilla of turtles there back in Moffet's woods) or run away from Bowling's mean old dog on his farm (almost was bit myself mind you, had to jump into the creek to get away!), don't leave sexual education up to schools.

Leave it up the parents of each child, unique, to teach their children about all these things. WHEN and IF appropriate. No single person is the same.

Frankly it's sad we expect a third party to do the work of parents. It's easy enough to pop one out but you want someone else to teach? Lazy. So freaking lazy.

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Again, did you even read the article?

It clearly says that parents are able to read and review the curriculum of the class, and if they don't like what the kids will be learning then they can take the kids out of the class. Its literally that simple.

Also, again, they aren't teaching kindergarten children how to have sex. They are simply introducing them to their bodies, just how they do with any other body part. They are also letting them know what constitutes as an appropriate touch and what is an inappropriate touch. Then they teach them how to get help if anything happens.

This information provided to kids is a proactive way to stop child abuse, and will hopefully stop many of the sad stories that our society has been used to hearing.

20. DoriaN

Kindergarden is waaaaaay too young.