1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Lithuania Parliament to Consider Passing Five Anti-LGBT Bills

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sinopaa, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lithuania Parliament to consider five anti-LGBT bills

*bangs head against her monitor and sighs*

2. Beware Of You

Sadly Eastern Europe had a problem with this type of ignorance. I worry that the influence of Russia in these ex soviet states may trigger more of these

3. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lithuainia is like a mini Russia... Ignorant people,Ignorant leaders.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lithuania is part of the "trembling Trio" which also include Estonia and Latvia. Basically, they've still been under the mental tyranny of Russia. So I'm honestly not entirely surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if Estonia and Latvia also followed..

5. velniopviska

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, we definitely may seem very ignorant in such topics but I personally think it's only because of traditional family values... (LGBT isn't very exceptional topic - we are -phobic to almost everything: foreigners, communists, capitalists, LGBT, people in general, Lithuanians and finally those enormous bills for central heating) And yes, I think Russia does do influence in people's minds a lot, unfortunately.

6. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Every time I hear about laws preventing these things, I really just want to go to the people who think it's a good idea, and just scream at them.

7. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Unfortunately I think more countries with Soviet ties are going to follow suit. Russia is a big bad influence.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Harve

The Lithuanians I know (and I know quite a few) actively seek to distance themselves from Russia and their Soviet past and also seem just as liberalised as Western Europeans. Although I'm pretty surprised to see an article on this; if anti-gay laws that actually have any effect get implemented (the EU would have something to say about that) then I'll be downright shocked. Don't believe everything on the internet. Estonia certainly seem to be going the right way? Idk.

It's completely unfair to declare Lithuania to be a mini-Russia, especially if you're disdainful towards Russia right now.

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2013 at 12:38 AM ----------

Okay, for example there's a draft bill for the re-introduction of National Service to the UK.

National Service Bill (HC Bill 32)

But the reason no-one's heard of it, despite it being beyond controversial if it got passed, is because no-one will ever take it seriously. Of course, tabloids could sensationalise it and make it out to be a 'threat to the integrity of the country' if they really wanted to.

#9 Harve, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  10. Beware Of You

Thats a private members bill, it will never get past a first reading. Any back bench MP can come up with one (there is a number in a year) , if I were an MP I could have one that would make a pet chicken mandatory to own if I wanted.

This Lithuanian law is coming from ministers not a minor member of parliament.

National Service is a daft idea . Okay I man join as a reservist anyway since I fancy that, but forcing people into the military would never work, plus the military don't want it.

Fact is there still exist systems to reactivate it if required (ie World War III) , they have the electoral roll, any man or women (21st Century) under 40 who doesnt have dependent kids would get it. But in peace time no chance

#10 Beware Of You, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. Naren

I want to stab these people in the eyes with a yacht.