1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The Lesbian Past of Bill de Blasio’s Wife

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://politicker.com/2012/12/the-lesbian-past-of-bill-de-blasios-wife/

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And to think the Quinn campaign didn't find this earlier. :slight_smile:

I really hope DeBlasio wins; I'm tired of NYC being turned into some kind of yuppie Disneyland for the wealthy. Hard to say what effect this will have, really.

3. I want to see what they say if they choose to comment. Personally, I'd just say that sexuality is fluid, some people get married to the opposite gender and then realize they are gay, and that this can in fact go the other way. My sister used to be a lesbian, and now she is straight. It wasn't some religious "gay is wrong I must change" conversion, her sexuality evolved over time.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think this have too big an effect. I doubt a lot of New Yorkers will really care. I've known people who have declared themselves gay/lesbian, only to end up with a member of the opposite sex, and vice-versa.

Plus, it's Bill DeBlasio running, and not his wife, in all actuality.

I've also not seen anything on this in the New York Times, which is curious. Maybe Monday?

5. Emberstone

There always is the possiblity that she has simply be bisexual this whole time.

Among my bi friends, it is not universal, but the majority of them, confused by their attractions to the same gender when they began to grapple with their sexuality, identified as gay to themselves, but as time went on, an the shock of their same-sex attraction overcame social norms, they realized that they were, yes, attracted to the same gender, but also to people of the opposate gender, and they did come to settle on bisexuality as how they define their attraction.

sexual orintation is not something you understand overnight.

6. Apollo4800

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recall reading about this last year.

7. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to mention that back in the 70's and 80's being lesbian could at least give you some place and role in the grand scheme of society and politics, even some kind of counter-cultural credibility... Being bi... Well... Not so much, to put the things mildly.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Only in New York City could the straight white man be the most liberal candidate against a lesbian, a black guy, an Asian, and a Jew with a history of sexting.

De Blasio's family definitely played a big role in why he was able to win black voters over the black candidate, and maybe his wife helped to win a few LGBTQ voters (not sure how many people even know about her past).

Overall I think it was a very positive result for New York City, not just because De Blasio but won, but the fact that old racial identity politics that divided the city in the 70s, 80s, 90s, has faded. Bill Thompson (the only black candidate in the race) won a lot of white areas, while Bill De Blasio won a lot of black areas, including Harlem proper. It was a truly post-racial coalition that propelled De Blasio to victory.

As for the gay vote, I think Quinn was mistaken if she thought she could take LGBTQ votes for granted (just like Thompson was mistaken in thinking he could take black votes for granted), especially since she refused to even talk about being a lesbian (or being a woman for that matter). But in a city as liberal as NYC, voters have the luxury of being able to cast their ballots based on policy and principle, rather than mere identity politics.

Every candidate in the race supported LGBTQ rights (except for the NOM-endorsed Salgado, who got 2% of the vote), De Blasio held numerous rallies highlighting his support for our community. Even the Republican candidate, Joe Lhota, supports marriage equality, because homophobia doesn't fly with the NYC electorate.

Gay voters are very liberal, and we were fortunate to have the luxury of supporting a candidate who better reflected our values in Bill De Blasio, rather than a deeply flawed candidate who merely shared our sexuality, like Christine Quinn, who was a pawn of Bloomberg who would not have changed anything from the status quo that is making NYC into nothing more than one big playground for Wall Street billionaires that nobody else can afford to live in.

9. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    This will most likely be used by anti-gay people as "proof" that being gay is a choice and gays just need to meet the "right" person of the opposite sex.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Then conversely we can say that being straight is a choice, and that straights just need to meet the "right" person of the same sex to be converted to homosexuality.