1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mexico's first openly-gay mayor opposes same-sex marriage, for now.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by swifter, Sep 16, 2013.

?

do you think he is doing the right thing

1. i think it is the right thing to do!

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. i oppose his views

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. i'm not sure but maybe

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. i don't care

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. swifter

swifter Guest

Mexico’s first openly gay mayor does not support gay marriage, ‘not yet, anyway’ – LGBTQ Nation
    what are your opinions?

2. Holly

Honestly, I'm not sure in this. I get the sense that yes, nations need to be 'ready' with the wider society to enforce such large laws, especially when it's based on such a 'controversial' issue. I would like to think that he would back it, and say it's right, but I understand he may be concerned over the people dividing, or even be concerned about the safety of LGBT people in Zacatecas.

Hopefully one day, attitudes will change, and it will be legalised.

3. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think what he means is,we can have gay marriage,but we will also have idiots tryng to kill newly weds all over...

4. ScatteredEarth

^^^

5. All41

I believe that marriage equality should be in every country I do agree with his statement. Some places just aren't ready for marriage equality. There's countries out there that are currently in the gap between homophobic and marriage equality. Both Mexico and the U.S. are. This mayor has bigger things to worry about for now I'm sure

6. RainyViolinist

I think this is a safe thing to do on the mayor's part. If he had legalized same-sex marriage, there more likely than not would have probably been a lot of assaults, if not even flat out murder, on gay couples. It's sad to see that we can't even pass gay marriage without fear of getting attacked by intolerant homophobes.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good in the interest of safety, but it's also saying that they can force us to back down with threats of violence. I think that it should be legalised, but in rural Mexico, being gay is the closest thing to a death sentence I can think of.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voted the first option. It's probably politically the right thing to do. Openly supporting gays might cost him a bigger percentage of conservatives. I have an internet friend who is into politics, fairly conservative, and bisexual also. He fears that being bi and opposing gay marriage might make him a hypocrite though, so is torn between two equally reasonable courses of action.

What's lost it seems is the "right" course of action rather than just what is expedient. Advancement as a species dictates that we promote GSM rights.

9. I think he has a plan.