1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Rainbow Laces

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MrBrightside, Sep 17, 2013.

1. MrBrightside

Havent seen this mentioned anywhere, maybe its cos not many gay people are interested in football in the UK.

Anyhoo, a new campaign has been set up to support gay footballers and tackle homophobia in football in general. The campaign is called "Right Behind Gay Footballers" or #RBGF and is organised by the gay rights charity "Stonewall".

The charity has sent every footballer in the football and premier leagues in England (92 clubs) and the 42 professional football clubs in Scotland to be worn during games over the fixtures at the weekend 21st/22nd September. The stated aim is not to encourage footballers to come out (there are no openly gay footballers in professional football in the UK) but to eradicate homophobia in the stands.

Too often at the football you hear slurs like for example "NAME is a gay boy, gay boy, gay boy" or people shouting "stop playing like a poofter". Its the last place tht homophobia is still perfectly acceptable. Even since the announcement of the campaign, fans forums have been against the plan, with threats to boo players tht wear the laces. It is sad, since im a season ticket holder and attend every home game for my club. I personally will shout abuse at any player who is unwilling to make such a small gesture as changing their laces for such a worthy cause. Racism was removed from football, now its time for homophobia :slight_smile:

Stonewall

Some of you in the USA might know of Robbie Rogers who left Leeds United before signing for LA Galaxy and coming out. He felt unable to be openly gay in English football, not due to his team mates but due the attitudes in the stands.

Justin Fashanu, the only openly gay footballer in england committed suicide in 1995, and there hasnt been another openly gay footballer since. The only european footballer who is gay (to my knowledge) is Anton Hysen who plays in the Swedish 3rd division.

I just feel strongly about this issue, and hope the campaign is well supported and attitudes do change :slight_smile:

2. Gallatin

The Mail had an interesting little bit on this.

I'm not a fan of the Mail but I thought the stats were neat.

Anyways, I hope a lot of footballers wear the laces. It's a small action that could produce a big message. :slight_smile:

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This actually reminds of athletes wearing pink in support of breast cancer awareness, so I think it is an excellent idea. However, I think they should be given a choice because not everyone agrees with homosexuality. Obviously, breast cancer is on another level, so I apologize if I've offended anyone. This will be a bit more challenging, given the lack of acceptance amongst the professional athletes in the UK.

Jason Collins, a basketball player here in the U.S. recently come out as gay and he's received mostly positive feedback. I was very surprised because in the profession of athleticism, being gay is looked down upon. People are so ignorant though; just because you are supportive of a cause does not mean you are gay. Unfortunately, some athletes are afraid that people will make this assumption. Although, it is more of a personal preference to be openly gay and or supportive of gay rights, because it can ruin someone's career, which is absurd. Anyways, I think anything is possible...by the way, I have rainbow shoe laces :slight_smile:

#3 pinklov3ly, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. lukeluvznicki13

It sounds great this new project :slight_smile:
    I'm glad that something like this is taking place!

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I read about this earlier in the Metro and Joey Barton (of all people) strongly supported it. I like the idea but im not sure fans will take much notice. There is still a lot of Homophobia between fans in football, go and watch a Brighton game and you will hear a lot of Homophobia. There was a documentary not too long ago about gay footballers and someone said on it that fans would likely stick up for a gay player if they played for their team. Heres part of the documentary, but I cant find the whole thing: BBC3 – Britain’s Gay Footballers

I think it will only really change when several footballs are openly gay, just like how racism declined when more Black players started playing more.

6. MrBrightside

Well, not 1 player in the Aberdeen vs Inverness fixture bothered with the rainbow laces... (i was looking closely :grin:). Very disappointed, all the campaign has achieved is increasing homophobia in the stands, i heard alot of comments against gays and had an opposing fan shout homophobic slurs at me after the game.

Very disappointed, apparently the players were banned from wearing the laces. Quite sad how homophobia is perfectly acceptable still.

Going to email the club's vice chairman, see if i get a reply, i am a season ticket holder after all, and i cant be the only gay person in a crowd of 14,000...

7. blueberrymuffin

Well, this is why i don't watch sports at all, way too homophobic for me to support it, and basically no openly gay athletes. In addition, most of those who attend are quite homophobic jackasses as well like you say. I went to a hockey game where my fellow students kept yelling "cocksucker" at the other team's players when they got a penalty. When you're surrounded by 1000 people doing that, yeah i just took off, not going back either.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish the NFL or NCAA would do this.

9. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

10. LILuke

I really hope this movement takes off - just think of all the young LGBT kids watching their heroes playing football [or whatever other sport] and what it would mean if they could see this outshowing of support from them.