1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commission

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Sep 25, 2013.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From Slate:

One more reason I'd never vote Republican. And to think that Jindal thinks of himself as some kind of progressive conservative, wanting to shed to wing-nut image of his party. Gimmie a break!

2. Mysz

Re: President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commissio

Jeeesus.
    Heart goes out to LGBT Lousianans :frowning2:

3. Beware Of You

Re: President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commissio

It is somewhat hypocritical of Obama to go about Russia's LGBT rights while doing nothing against stuff that is going on in the US

4. Re: President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commissio

Obama has no authority to act in this case, and speaking out will just piss off the people he needs to.compromise with to get anything done.

5. Momosboy

... I have no words. Actually, I do.

There aren't enough Dr. Cox clips in the world to convey how much I want them to shut up.

6. LILuke

I don't understand how this even makes sense. The South is so horribly backwards that it's ridiculous - how can anyone possibly think that this is a good idea?

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This honestly does not surprise me, coming from the state where 29% of LA republicans blame Obama for FEMA's handling of Hurricane Katrina and only 28% blame Bush... Jindal is about as conservative as they get, and this honestly does not surprise me one bit.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

America is so predictable sometimes. Red is red. Blue is blue. It's better if GLBT folks don't live in red states, though sometimes there is a job, family, roots, and other stuff that prevent a move. Also, there are blue pockets in red states and red pockets in blue states.

Overall, what a mess. If someone is so invested in this much hate, one can only wonder about their ulterior motives ... and if someday they'll be caught in a toilet at an airport doing something they shouldn't be doing.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I feel like I'm a totally ignorant person when I read stuff like this from the US. Apart from the fact that a man like him would be removed from public office pretty quickly in Australia, I never knew that Louisianan authorities arrest gay people.

10. LILuke

The thing is, they shouldn't be. Not because it's unjust, unfair, stupid, or anything like that. It is all of those things but that's not even the issue. In 2003 the Supreme Court of the United States decided in a case called Lawrence v. Texas that no State could regulate or criminalize sexual activity between two consenting adults in the privacy of their own homes, overturning "Sodomy" laws against same-sex relations in 13 states. Now in DIRECT DEFIANCE to the Supreme Court, Louisiana has started prosecuting people on such "crimes". It is unacceptable, and unconstitutional, in addition to the moral dilemma is poses.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

There are many archaic laws on states' books. There are some on small cities' books which are absolutely wild. They simply don't enforce them. They should just be removed.

How they'd enforce them is beyond me. Louisiana may be red, but things don't get much more blue, and permissive, than New Orleans.

There are many flavors of U.S.

12. Re: President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commissio

The cops make the arrests because they want to harass gays, and they know that they can technically arrest people for something if it's on the books. So far as I know, Lawrence v. Texas only applies to prosecuting people, not to taking them into custody, so the cops can arrest as many gays as they want and be legally in the clear, but they have to be released as soon as a prosecutor gets to their case, because the prosecutor cannot legally file charges. This is stupid, immoral, and a waste of police resources, but it is within the officers' authority.

13. Ticklish Fish

why people? Like actually busting thieves or assaulter isn't satisfying? D:

14. Re: President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commissio

It's bigotry, plain and simple.

15. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people

Isn't this a sort of human rights violation?

16. Re: President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commissio

It should be, but as the law stands I don't think so.

17. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people

And what can be done to amend this mistake?

18. DrkRayne

Um has anyone sued the state? Because with teh 2003 sodomy laws abolished, I dont understand how men can be arrested for sex?
    I know they tried to trap men for a while, but the guys werent doing anything illegal.

How are they being arrested for being gay. Homosexuality has been legal in the ENTIRE country for the past 10 years.
    Can't they sue for unlawful arrest...that can be done. Its a civil rights violation.

#18 DrkRayne, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I often wonder how much more effective policing and law enforcement would be if the energy spent on what they perceive to be "moral" crimes would be diverted to obtaining intelligence on and fighting terrorists. Stupid indeed.

20. Re: President of Anti-Gay Hate Group Appointed to Louisiana Law Enforcement Commissio

The problem is that this is not unlawful arrest. The law was not abolished and gay sex was not legalized in places where it is illegal. What the Supreme Court did was ban prosecutions under the law. It's still on the books, and if it's on the books, the cops can arrest you for it. The prosecutors cannot press charges due to the Supreme Court's ruling, but they haven't been pressing charges, so there is no suit there. This whole thing is unfortunately on the legal up and up.

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2013 at 01:09 PM ----------

The law would have to be removed from the books or the cops forced to not make arrests when they know charges cannot be filed and there is no risk to public safety.