1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pope Excommunicates Gay-Friendly Priest

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Adi, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    On the heels of Pope Francis' groundbreaking remarks faulting the Roman Catholic Church for being overly focused on homosexuality and abortion, news has emerged that the pontiff ordered the excommunication of a priest who advocated for women's rights and gay marriage.

Melbourne-based news site The Age reports that Australian priest Greg Reynolds received a letter last week from Pope Francis, informing him that he had been excommunicated. The order means Reynolds is officially prohibited from participation in the sacraments and services of the Catholic Church.

The Age reports that the order to excommunicate Reynolds was made in response to a secret denunciation to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, an ecclesiastical body originally founded in the 16th century to defend the church from heresy.

Reynolds had resigned as a priest from Western Port parish in 2011, at which time his priestly privileges were nullified, The Age reported last year.

Source: Pope Francis Excommunicates Australian Priest Who Advocated For Gay Marriage And Female Clergy

Pedophile priests are a-OK though. Was about time the media started being more objective regarding this new Pope.

2. darlig ulv

And he's being hailed as some sort of modern saint?

3. GirlWhoWaited

I guess the guy was also holding "informal communion services". That's a pretty big deal in the Catholic church. Considering this doesn't really match up with his previous statements, I'm going to suspend judgment for now. I kinda think there must be a bit more at play in this. Excommunication is kind of a big deal. It doesn't happen often.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what to say. I really don't. There was an openly gay priest, a Franciscan, who was in a parish around the New York City area long before Francis and Benedict. He was a real activist, in the helper sense, ministering to those with AIDS. He ultimately lost his life by trying to help people escape from the World Trade Center. The Catholic press itself has written glowing things about him. Clearly, he was never excommunicated.

5. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm thinking this too, it has to be something serious to warrant excommunication. Also the fact they tacked on that this guy was an advocate for women's rights and same-sex marriage seems like a petty attempt to get a rise out of people, especially if they don't (at this point) seem to be the reason for his excommunication.

6. Tim

Tim

Pretty sure they only tacked on the women's rights and same-sex marriage thing to calm the catholics that are calling for him to be replaced somehow.

There was probably more involved than that consideriing what the Pope's said recently. Otherwise by his own admission he'd have to be removed.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A removal would be quite an event. I don't see it happening. The mere fact that Benedict stepped down was considered highly unusual, since they typically serve until death, right from their nursing home type beds.

8. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Please read the full article before making an opinion

9. GirlWhoWaited

I read it. But there are whole Catholic organizations that support same-sex marriage. This isn't the WBC we're talking about. It's an issue, but people don't get excommunicated for believing in marriage equality. In light of what Francis has said in the past, I'm just not ready to throw him in the stocks based on a rather vague article. The excommunication letter didn't cite a reason. The reasons are, thus far, speculation. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, he's part of an independent group that have broken off from the Catholic Church Home Page

That's the website. He and other priests have basically decided to have a reformation. Not that it's bad; they're still Catholic, just with reasonable principles.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's also an independent Catholic movement in America. It's not that big. I don't know about its growth. It's supposed to feel like the real thing, but have a more relaxed stance on interpersonal and intimacy issues that the main church has an issue with. It would take someone who really digs being Catholic and wanting to be part of a church to sign up. Most people have chosen to either go a couple of times a year, or have chosen to break off completely, unless it's to attend a wedding or a funeral to show proper form. Those events usually come complete with food, anyway.

12. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I wont judge the pope on this, as the article is ambiguos...some times i feel there is some sort media manipulation directed at attacking catholic church...

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes the corruption in archdioceses and dioceses, on a proportional scale, is more disturbing than what the Vatican can dish out. You know - back slapping, greased palms, a changing and current dogma with whomever is at the lead, quick resignations, many reassignments, etc. It's really quite tragic and disenfranchising.

14. 2112

We don't know exactly why, so I'll wait for more information before making an opinion. I hope they're just biased and trying make us think that's the reason.

15. blueberrymuffin

Just when i was saying he should excommunicate some bigot priests to prove his sincerity...

16. LILuke

For the moment my line of thinking is somewhat along this, but justified or not some of my enthusiasm about this new Pope has been tempered by this. In all probability there is more going on here than we have heard about, but I just can't let this go by without it bothering me just a little bit.:confused:

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, in Melbourne itself, it seems the only prior excommunications were of pedophile priests.

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still, that's kind of the same as founding a company in your garage, but keeping a day job for a multinational, and insisting you little garage company gets to market things with the multinational's label, because "there's only a few differences".

In that case, no one would argue against the multinational saying "stop using our logo!" and firing you from your day job. Maybe you had high principles, maybe your product was even better! The multinational was still well within rights to fire you.

Mind you, without a formal statement from any party, that's just one interpretation. I do think the Church would fare better with some transparency.

19. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lots of people here seem to be putting much weight in what he SAID, which, as what any politician-like figure says, ain't worth much (not to mention that what he actually said isn't very pro-gay at all, unless you people consider gays being repressed and living as second class citizens is "gay friendly" - the Pope did after all say that gays should stop asking for "special rights", a part of his speeches that is usually ignored by the delusional gay media outlets, who really wants to like this guy, for some reason).

#19 Adi, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  20. GirlWhoWaited

I don't think it's delusion fueling people. No one is saying he's going to join PFLAG and start wearing rainbow robes. His stance is just a lot more positive than the world is used to hearing from a pope. Of course it isn't enough, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm also not dismissing the idea of the article being accurate, I just think we have justifiable grounds to suspect that the focus is off.