1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Who Needs Carbs Anyway? (Barilla Pasta's Anti-Gay Statement Maelstrom)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Black Cat, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Full story here.

So, on twitter today I noticed a huge reaction to Barilla's (allegedly) anti-gay statement. Having done some research on the story, being a dedicated pasta-lover, and just so happening to be gay too, I figured said story might be interesting to share here, with my fellow LGBT pasta-holics. :slight_smile:

Thoughts?

Preferred pasta preparation procedures?

#1 Black Cat, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Night

Night Guest

Ah I think people care too much. I mean, I doubt it's really been that huge of a deal to people, but people were actually trending #boicottabarilla and giving a shit? It's a pasta company. My goodness.

But I like my tortellini boiled.

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty clearly anti-gay. I used to buy Napoletana sauce from them, but I switched to Panzani after finding a giant strand of hair in the sauce. Never looked back since, especially 'cause the Panzani sauce is slightly cheaper and tastes much better. This just strengthens my decision.

4. Incognito10

I read about this too. His comments were outrageously bigoted and what is more outrageous is the way he tried to back pedal his way out of his comments and say people misunderstood him and he has the utmost respect for gays...what a joke this man is.

#4 Incognito10, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  5. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    He's Italian. What do you expect? They often make Romania look progressive.

6. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel bad,I consumed a lot of Barilla,I shall buy Catelli now MAHAHAHAHAH

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a bit more, but I've liked DeCecco pasta a lot better. A friend of mine at SF State University worked with a member of the DeCecco pasta family, and he didn't seem anti-gay at all (An anthropology professor), though I can't speak for the company in general.

Sad, though, that Barilla had to mix homophobia into the semolina.

8. Mysz

As soon as being bigoted starts losing them money, of course they'd try to back out. Too bad. Not buying their pasta- too expensive and not my favourite, anyways.
    Granted, a company could features gay couples in its advertisements to try and profit regardless of the company CEO's/leaders views anyways... but I haven't seen that happening.