1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Texas fundamentalists want to teach Garden of Eden in science class

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Oct 3, 2013.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. biggayguy

Teach that stuff in Sunday school where people want to hear it.

3. Momosboy

*flame shields up!* I think they should, on one condition. They use science to explain how God created. They can't just say, "It happened because God did it". No, no, no. Use SCIENCEnto get it done, or go away.

4. Ticklish Fish

just the title alone is enough to make me facepalm

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's worse, is that this also includes the whole thing about women leading men to sin, and all that...I can't say how thoroughly repulsive I find this idea, not to mention the Biblical creation myth in general.

6. Momosboy

I will ignore your atheistic comments, mainly because I can't prove with 100% certainty I'm right yet.

7. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i sorta agree, down south its super religious in many areas, and parents probably demanded this. However it shouldn't be regarded as a truth, maybe a belief instead, because no one knows.

*holds breath and hides behind a rock*

8. Momosboy

Right. You are now my friend.

9. Minamimoto_Fan

If it's a private school, they can do whatever, but public schooling and religion should not mix.

Now IF they have to teach the Judeo-Christian creation story, that's more of something for a social studies class, and I would suggest putting it along with other religions' beliefs, like they did in my old middle school when we learned about the various religions of the world for about three or four days. They presented everything in a tasteful manner and there was no pressure into believing any of it, it was merely a learning experience. Now, I didn't like it because a bunch of the kids in the classroom were complaining about "Learning that not-Christian stuff" and made the experience as unpleasant as they possibly could

#9 Minamimoto_Fan, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that's the best way to go about these matters; not as science, but as presenting a variety of religious belief systems, in a sociological context, without any pressure to believe in any particular one. But, as you say, then people complain about the non-Christian stuff even being mentioned. Funny, they yell about religious freedom, unless it's another religion being addressed.

11. Hexagon

And I want to strangle them. We don't always get what we want.

12. This.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still and all, I don't think they should include it in a science text-book...that's just plain crazy.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Even private schools can't have authority to regard scientific curricula as false, when they haven't any evidence beyond belief. Just because a school is religious/private, they can't fail to provide comprehensive education. That's how the next generation get brainwashed. Students often don't have a say in their school, so anti-scientific education does not pass as a choice, either.

15. Ticklish Fish

didn't some people try to change the history textbook in texas some time ago for some political agenda?

16. Minamimoto_Fan

Well private schools do have to teach what is mandated by federal guidelines, but they can also add to their rhetoric with much more ease than a public school can hope for. This can be a blessing/hindrance since said addition to their rhetoric can influence their students futures in many different ways

17. Ridiculous

Schools shouldn't be teaching things that aren't correct, or at least widely held as correct. If they do, what's the point in education?

18. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i agree completely :grin:
    where i went evolution, origin of species, and all the scientific creationary theories were taught im sciences, and then it was required to learn all five major world religions and the different sects involved. i think its all fascinating and was taught very well. probably the only thing about NYS education i like.

hmm? no one knows what is or isnt correct, so therefore everything should be taught.
    i agree with the last statement.

as far as this article i really dont see anything that is violating any rights or anything. this sounds like a christian school (was it, i dont remember) so no crap theology will be involved. as long as the state law for education is fulfilled its constitutional and fair.

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Separation of church and state, Texas...
    If they want to put that passage in science textbooks, we will deter people from being scientists; they'd be more likely to say "God must have done it" whenever they do not know something.
    I concur. Put it in social studies, and include other religions in the unit.
    Besides, people who are Islamic, Jewish, Buddhist, atheist, etc. would almost definitely be offended. Shit would definitely go down.

20. purplekitty

What really makes me mad about this is that Texas runs most of the textbooks for the entire country. If they manage to do this, they would be affecting a lot of public schools in the country, not just their own state. However, I agree that if they want to include "creation science", they should include it into a social studies class that studies several religions.