1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Wal-Mart EBT glitch leads to stampede

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jared, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Jared

Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede- MSN Money

You've got to be kidding me, faith in humanity destroyed. They knew what they were doing was theft.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is why you test software. And if you don't test it thoroughly enough, you deserve what you get.

Syster Adrian

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying EBT is only for lowlives, but there are likely a disproportionate amount of lowlives who take it. Not to mention it is possible to receive needed assistance and still have personal pride and integrity.

4. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm no position to judge because I probably would have done the same thing. :/

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

How classy.

#5 Stridenttube, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The software did what it is written to do.

7. Jared

Show me one piece of large complicated software that doesn't have a bug in it. I highly doubt that one exists. It was the people's reaction to the software's bug that was disgusting,

#7 Jared, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. Hexagon

So are you saying that you're incapable of understanding this:

Person who has very little, most likely has never had anything resembling the slightest luxury finds they have the ability to indulge. Buys shit.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Look, Wal-Mart is an institution that only dodged a sex discrimination class action lawsuit because the Supreme Court ruled they couldn't sue as a class. It also is completely despicable and is subsidized by the welfare system (because we can argue it's employees, who largely live in poverty, require the welfare system, but would not if they were paid a fair wage).

So I'm just not going to join in calling this a huge demonstration of human frailty.

10. DesertTortoise

It's Wal Mart--who steal from the poor! It's not theft to take from them, it's a rightous honor! I apploud them! They should go to the Waltons and take everything they have too. Murderous theives that they are!

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2013 at 01:22 PM ----------

People who have EBT are lowlives! Please. The owner class fills peoples heads with that kind of filth--and we aren't in that club. They want us dead. Screw em!

#10 DesertTortoise, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  11. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

That's sarcasm right?....right!?!

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it's not sarcasm, and the fact that you're even asking is astonishing.

13. 2112

Walmart is horrible, but that doesn't make it right to steal from them.

14. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Its a bit outragous don't you think?

15. Split Arrows

^exactly

I can totally understand. I've applied for EBT before, but was denied because the income requirements for it are based off of your gross pay, not your take-home. Even now, I'm in a little better of a place financially than I was back then, but I'd still go a little nuts if I had, what amounts to a "get out of hunger free" card. To judge people for taking advantage of a windfall, even if it takes advantage of a computer glitch of a large company is to not understand what it is to live in abject poverty.

16. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe Wal-Mart is responsible for this. They should maintain their systems to ensure no glitches. :slight_smile:

17. Romy J

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just to add a view from someone who both works at Walmart, and is on EBT...

I would have completely been with the people there. The money I make through work barely covers my bills, let alone gives me just enough to cover things my kids need. However, thanks to that job I only get about $250 a month from EBT to feed myself and 2 growing children for the month. With the price of reasonable healthy food now-a-days, that lasts all of 2 weeks. That leaves me to cover the remaining food after paying $180 electric bill, $50 a month for a phone, $50 a month for trash, yet another $50 for water, $105 for car and home insurance, and around $150 for gas to get to work.

Now, I'm lucky enough to have inherited my mothers home when she passed last year or I wouldn't come close to breaking even having to pay rent as well. Most EBT recipients aren't that lucky, and some are even working 2 jobs and can't make ends meet. The adults (including myself) will skip meals just to make sure their kids have enough to eat.

So, do I think it was right what these people did? No. Do I blame them for doing it? Not one bit. What's worse is that Walmart is a multi-billion dollar company, and yet they cut off the very people who will work 40 hours a week for them being listed at a part-time status so that health insurance doesn't have to be provided.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Literally trillions of US dollars are spent by the Federal US government in order to make up for Walmart's shortcomings, as well as providing tax breaks etc. Walmart pays its employees so little many are still going hungry on full-time work, while Walmart rakes in a fortune off their hard work.

Walmart is the epitome of corporate scum. To steal from that company is certainly not immoral. Just because the rich are legally allowed to steal from the poor doesn't mean that the poor stealing back is any worse.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why does Wal-Mart always have stampedes, people getting crushed, hit by falling boxes,and such? I never, ever go there 'cause they were the #1 donor to the Republicans under Bush, and are generally evil.

But why so many stampedes????

I tend to think they're just cheap on labor, don't wanna pay for good customer service.

20. LILuke

All of these panicked stampedes at stores have made me wonder just how low people would go in some kind of doomsday scenario. So much for noble ideals of us all banding together to survive eh?