1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Facebook allows beheading videos

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Joanne, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Joanne

Facebook has quietly resumed allowing decapitation videos to be posted on its website, lifting a temporary ban it had placed earlier this year on content featuring graphic violence.

The social network said after a report on the BBC on Monday that gory photos and videos were permitted on its site so long as the content was posted in a manner intended for its users to "condemn" the acts rather than celebrate them.

Facebook allows beheading videos | Technology | theguardian.com

2. Foxface

I am not one to tell anyone how to live...but please don't watch them. It's incredibly personal and sickening to watch

When I watched the Al Qaeda video during my military career...made me weak-kneed and sick

Can't believe they are letting this go

Foxface

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I recently saw a group of men (I'm pretty sure they were Filipino terrorists) slowly cut off a woman's head. It was removed after a bunch of people reported it, but the idea that they're allowing that sort of material on a social networking site scares me.

4. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm trying to look at this from the victim's family perspective. They would not want to see a video clip of their loved one being killed. So that is why I would ban such videos. I'm not a fan of censorship but I see no purpose of uploading videos of people getting killed.

5. BiPenguin

Facebook continues to support pages that show killings, beheadings, encouraging suicide, etc but Facebook shuts down pages that shows breastfeeding, natural non-sexual nudity and such. I was recently blocked from making any comments just the other day for two lots of 12 hours for saying that the Australian Prime Minister is a thief and a criminal.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Facebook is beyond backwards and it's kind of scary at this point that they aren't doing shit.

7. Hrantou

I haven't seen the be-heading vids...but I've seen other vids on facebook of...questionable nature.

But facebook can allow whatever they want. Not like facebook is the only place to view them. Other sites, which I will avoid naming but I'm sure there's one we all know of, have plenty of that stuff up for show. It's the internet. Stuff like that comes up. Just don't view it.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen pictures of dead bodies on the internet and at school when they do assemblies on car accidents, and those make me cry. I can't even begin to think what a beheading video would make me do. I can't believe they'd allow this.

9. I support this. I also think the media should be showing dead soldiers. It rams home what's really going on, and shocks us into responding somehow, and that's a good thing. A lot of the anti-Vietnam activity only happened because of the media showing stuff about war that you weren't getting to see in earlier wars.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've usually got nerves of steel for pretty much anything, but a distant acquaintance had a decapitation video posted on his wall*. A live woman getting her head sawed off was too disturbing to watch. Man's capacity for savagery is gut-wrenching.

**It didn't look military related, but more like criminals/terrorists.

11. That's another thing people should be allowed to see the brutal reality of. Military occupations are a shitty idea, but terrorists are still fuckheads, and the depths of their fuckheadery should be allowed to be shown.

12. 2112

Facebook doesn't block you, it was probably the admin of the page.