1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Why Did America Fire a Missile at a Grandmother Working in Her Garden?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Joanne, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Joanne

Two new reports out today cast a disturbing light on America’s drone war. One by Amnesty International focuses on recent strikes in Pakistan. Another, by Human Rights Watch, assesses U.S. targeted killings in Yemen. Most discomfiting, in the Amnesty report, is the story of Mamana Bibi, a 68-year-old grandmother killed by hellfire missiles while tending her garden on Oct. 24, 2012:

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International issue blistering reports on U.S. Drone War.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is disgusting. It's always been obvious that the "War on Terror" is a poorly-disguised policy of imperialism. This is brutal, and rather ironically, a terrorist act.

But lives don't matter if they're not white and in New York, right?

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And then we wonder why people attack us. We brought on the 9/11 attacks by our own actions; long before drones, we've been out and about killing civilians, propping up dictators and protecting our 'economic interests' at the cost of innocent lives. And then wondering why people hate us.Why? Because we've killed many, many thousands of innocent people. Familes, friends, relatives. People tend to remember these things.

America makes me sick, talking about freedom and all this BS, while trying to hide/disown its own atrocities.

4. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh dear...this is not going to end well.

5. Stripe101

This country became too powerful too fast. I doubt the founding fathers would have approved of what we have become.

6. Techno Kid

I think it's clear who the real terrorists are now. When you are looking at the sky at all times not know when the next drone will come down... that my friends is terror.

#6 Techno Kid, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  7. This "War on Terror" in my perspective is a way to vent the government's hatred and fear from the 9/11 incident. The people aren't the ones being terrorized, it's the government. We brought on 9/11 by our own actions.

The government isn't scared of terrorism, they're scared of karma.

I understand these actions were to curb jihad terrorists, however they're targeting Muslim CIVILIANS, not terrorists. Islam promotes peace and non-violence; terrorists are using Allah to justify their actions.

First the U.S targeted Jews, then they targeted Catholics, then Mormons, African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latinos, now Muslims. Freedom is a total misnomer in this country.

This kind of stuff gives the U.S a bad name. We're supposed to be a country that welcomes outsiders with open arms and providing equal rights to everyone. That's why our ancestors moved here. Canada, U.K, and Australia are more progressive than us.

8. Amerigo

perhaps you should ask NATO, they blow poor afghan children to bits and pieces all the time, most often when they're just collecting firewood.

9. Harve

I can't think of a point in history have the UK been angels when it comes to diplomacy in that part of the world....

10. I meant that U.K society looks more progressive, compared to the U.S.

11. 2112

When did the U.S. ever target Catholics?

12. Ticklish Fish

We just have war-monging politicians re-elected over and over again in government because people don't wonder what the people they elect are doing.

I know that the constitution has a rule on president being limited on reelection, but i dont remember the other branches

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that makes it even more of a point. Britain has always been the bully of the EU and the Commonwealth, but even they have been far better than the US government.

14. monotone

The Know-Nothings in the 1850s.

15. Foxface

Have you ever seen the video where the Blackhawk targeted a news van with it's Vulcan and tore them apart?

See my problem is a bit different. Having served the military in what I believe is a deplorable role put me in a weird position

On one hand I will say most soldiers I know are good people that fight wars legally within the Laws of Armed Conflict and most times I try to get people to see that they should blame the government not us the soldiers

Now, with that said I also have been privvy to a very high clearance level and have seen the things a handful of our soldiers have done either in the name of 'duty' or on their own so they gave their own kind (soldiers) a black eye in the national and international arena.

I believe the entire system is a very delicate see-saw. On one side you have the need for soldiers to be prepared to act and kill without question and on the other side lies the absolute need for a soldier to retain some level of humanity.

Now before I say this next part let me make it crystal clear

I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES

The problem is that when a person enters war especially in high combat zones, you can try all you want but you can't prepare them for what they will see. It will effect them and unfortunately it sucks the humanity right out of them. See part of the problem is that they see the enemy or civillians in the enemy territory as the enemy and not as humans. That is why things like Abu-Ghraid and My Lai occur.

It's said...but agan I am not excusing the behavior

Now with all that said, back to the OP I believe this is a problem where our government and the leaders of the alphabet agencies (CIA, NSA, OSI and so forth) have stopped looking at people as people. Also our lack of intel is getting worse due to force shaping. Finally we have a president that, while I love his national social policies, is all too happy to allow the drone strikes.

Way too many problems

Foxface

16. GayTornado

R.I.P. Mamana Bibi
    1944-2012