1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Stephen Fry: "Women's sexuality doesn't count."

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Saturn7, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Stephen Fry: Women’s sexuality doesn’t count - Salon.com

Kind of crazy. Wasn't expecting this.

I mean, he's gay so obviously, women's sexuality doesn't count to him!

What do you think? Is he overstepping his station or has he been misquoted?

I've often noted how many gay men (not all) don't understand women or know how to deal with them.
    Do you think this is a case of that?

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    stephen fry is a horrible transphobe, so misogyny from him isnt surprising

3. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm really sorry. I'm relatively new here, and I don't understand all the terminology quite yet.

Obviously, I understand what misogyny is!

Could you explain the other parts please? :slight_smile:

4. Fiddledeedee

Transphobia is like homophobia but directed at transgender people (people whose gender and sex are different). Examples include saying that trans women (MtF people -- people whose assigned sex is male but whose internal gender is female) are just out to trap men, saying that trans men will never be real men, using the term "tranny", and so on. Transphobia, homophobia, and misogyny often come from the same roots, so if someone is misogynistic they may be transphobic too.

5. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for taking the time to drop knowledge bombs upon me.

I know more that I previously did. :slight_smile:

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well looking at the two comments on this site I don't see much wrong with it. Its true that on average women are less into sex. And even if he's wrong, why would it be offensive?
    Where in these comments does he mention transgender people?

7. Space

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is from 2010. He has since apologized saying he is no expert on women. As for any trans-phobic remarks he may have made they seem more like ignorance on the subject and not from fear or hatred. Stephen Fry is a great man who has done more to further the LGBT moment than most. Lets not make an enemy out of one of our biggest allies. Side note, his new show "Out There" is great.

8. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think it's a bit offensive, because he is marginalizing a group of people - over half the human species on the basis that they're not like him. What's he basing it on? Experience?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the opposite of the LGBT?

Why the double standards? It irks the hell out of me.

9. Space

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He was wrong to make those comments and he understands that hence the apology.

10. Old article
    Id let it go.

11. Beware Of You

This from 2010 since then he has retracted and apologised for it

12. Just Jess

So these things usually spiral out of control when it's not easy for people to see what was actually said. People like things to be black and white, and the reality's always pretty grey.

First, the woman's libido comment,

His apology, and a defense of fry, can be found here,
    Ladies, Stephen Fry Knows You Like Sex. Really.

As to people considering him transphobic, that's this video,
    [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UpwvbBg-fk[/YOUTUBE]

Don't really have time to watch the whole thing and get a time or anything, but the controversy starts with "How can you be so sure she's not a bloke?" and ends with "Basically, a good ladyboy can imitate almost anything female".

Those two lines I got from this article - which is somewhat less friendly to Mr. Fry so there you go, one link in favor and one against -
    TransGriot: To QI & Mr Stephen Fry: Transgender Women Are Not Blokes And Are Not There To "Fool" Anybody

I think the whole video, if you do have 45 minutes, really is worth watching for context, especially considering the show's topic. But if anyone does watch the video and can get some times, I think that would help everyone.

I might chime in with my thoughts later; just wanted to get all the facts in one place first.

13. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow, thanks for all of this :slight_smile:

14. Lucky Oshawott

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. When I watched 'Out There', he saw many Transgendered people and clearly respected them. He was happy that they were able to embrace who they are and I wouldn't say he's transphobic. I guess that's just my opinion, though.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might blow this guy's mind to know there is more to gender, sex, and sexuality than simply "getting one's rocks off" -- I have a hard time understanding how someone so sexist and draconian in their views could be so respected within the LGBT community, and even more disturbing is the fact that people are defending what was said, mainly, other men, which doesn't surprise me at all.

"They don't relate to sex the same way I do, therefore, they must not really enjoy it."

16. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The basis behind this view, is the inability to understand that other people might be different. Or automatically assume that everyone should be like you.

I am fast learning that this method of thought extends to the vast majority of humanity, and I find it upsetting and disturbing.

It is as if everyone is trapped in the limitations of their own skull, and even the existence of something different somehow threatens their delicate ego and perceived existence.

Scary stuff.

17. Just Jess

So my thoughts now that I've had some time to think, and I've left what I hope is a fairly neutral post up there, because I'm going to take Stephen Fry's side on this one,

I really think that's the whole thing, and that's why I don't consider Stephen Fry a transphobe or misogynist. It's reflected in every one of his apologies. He's the first to admit he's only got his experience to work with.

I know I say this a lot but it really is easier to put someone else in your shoes than it is yourself in someone else's.

Stephen Fry has just no interest in anything feminine. He's a man's man. He's got a male sex drive. And when he tries to entertain people and make him laugh, that's where it comes from. Humor is also about taking risks. You either don't cross the line, or you cross the line twice, and everything in-between and you've said something that's hurt people and isn't funny. Which is the exact opposite of what you want to do. And what he's done a few times. Which he's admitted to.

Now I think it's also too easy to turn on the people that were hurt. And that makes me a little nervous about being a trans woman and defending someone like Fry.

I mean picture this. For whatever reason, you're trying to transition. You just got home from the grocery store. It's just as exhausting whether you look like a man or a woman, because you don't pass as your target sex and your gender doesn't match your birth sex, so just pick whatever's easiest to imagine. You've been dealing with people deliberately comparing people like you to rapists and prostitutes all day; one of your facebook friends found out about you and is just full of informative opinions that everyone in the world needs to hear. So you get home to the T.V. and it's time to relax.

And then you hear someone you really respect and admire effectively say that all transsexual people are prostitutes.

After a second, of course, reason kicks in. You know that not everyone understands that a "ladyboy" is a kind of prostitute. And he's not talking about you. And he's poking fun at gender stereotypes to begin with. But you already feel like shit.

So I think people should definitely not ever feel like they have to suffer in silence. Stuff like that sucks ass! Of course you should say something about it!

And I think the other danger, something that happens a lot, people defending people like Fry tend to attack the people that were complaining. You're too sensitive, change the channel, etc. The message is pretty clear. You're the weird one. There's more of us than there are of you, so you're hurt? It's your fault. And I think that's a shitty message.

So that's my take on the whole thing. Stephen Fry had no malice behind those words at all, and I don't think he hates trans people. He was raised in a world that is a little transphobic and misogynistic, and some of that came out.

And he apologized for it. It wasn't a "not-an-apology" apology either; he didn't attack the people that were hurt by what he said. He just admitted his ignorance.

And really if more people followed that example, I think we'd all be better off. Stephen Fry's okay in my book. If you don't like Stephen Fry, I'm not going to hold it against you, believe me I understand you have your reasons and can agree with some of them. I just think, when someone puts their foot in their mouth, and they say "okay, that was out of line", then it's time to forgive that person.

18. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I believe in second chances, and also the chance to apologise for things.

Growing up, for various reasons, I hated and despised so many types of people. But actually meeting them and talking to them has generally shown me otherwise.

Cassie29, had I met people like you in reality instead of the ones I did meet, my life would have been better.

When my personal wounds have healed a bit, perhaps I can rebuild bridges and help make the world a bit of a better place.

19. Ridiculous

Stephen Fry is a comedian. In the realm of comedy and comparing him to his fellow comedians, he's probably the most tactful and considerate one there is. Others seem to get away with a lot more and people realise they aren't being serious - for some reason Stephen is held to a different, higher standard.

Outside of comedy, in the real world where opinions and statements have more importance, he's definitely not someone any reasonable person should be attacking.

20. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Why?
    Why should anyone be exempt from scrutiny?

Don't worry, it's been shown that in this case he apologised genuinely etc, so - more respect :slight_smile:.

But to have anyone or anything beyond scrutiny is fundamentally dangerous.

Everyone needs to understand accountability.