1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pedophilia not an Orientation. Error

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DrkRayne, Nov 1, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

APA to correct manual: Pedophilia is not a 'sexual orientation' - Washington Times

Whopping Pedophilia 'Sexual Orientation' Error Sparks Right-Wing Freakout

The APA said it was an error and that it was NOT supposed to be called a "sexual orientation", but a "sexual interest" and is still listed as a Mental Disorder.

[The APA issued a statement to the press on Thursday, saying it had acted in "error," and clarifying that the only difference in how pedophilia is referred to from the last DSM is that "the disorder name was changed from 'pedophilia' to 'pedophilic disorder'" in order to "maintain consistency with the chapter’s other disorder listings."]

Nope not considered an orientation, but its a mental disorder.

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a point you wanted to make with this thread or...?

3. DrkRayne

Other threads were discussing how it was an orientation now, as that was the news...and I posted the newest update that its not anymore. It was an error.

They retracted the statement made in the DSM.

4. jargon

THANK YOU! I knew something like this would be coming, although I thought the problem was reporters misinterpreting the DSM-5, not an actual error on the part of the APA. Good news either way!

5. Aussir

Orientation or interest... same shit, different lingo (for the DSM people). Do you really think they didn't call it orientation at first? :dry:

They're only hurrying to change terms because of the backlash they got.

#5 Aussir, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's better.

7. DoriaN

Is your post any more credible or relevant?

Thanks for the post TC.

8. Hexagon

Nice to know. Thanks for posting.

9. Zyanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I shouldn't have read the comments section on WT :bang:

10. Tim

Tim

You shouldn't read the comments section anywhere.

Except occasionally Thehuffingtonpost.

11. Zyanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah thats true! Daily Mails comment section is the worst. Well it was I haven't clicked on a Daily Mail link in a while!

12. Jaffacake

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Haha, oh yes the good old Daily Mail... :rolle:

13. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    This right here, to be honest I am under 100% belief they changed it because of the backlash they got about it, either way it is something they cannot change about themselves because they were born with this taste, putting them in places to rehabilitate them does not work that well as many people think and many statements have gone to prove this; there really is no right or wrong way to deal with it.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could be, but the backlash is rightful. They're scientists, for chris'sake, and should use the correct terminology no matter how hair-splitting the differences. But it shouldn't take the owner of a Ph.D to see that liking males or females is not comparable to exclusively liking prepubescent children. One can be a straight pedophile or a gay pedophile, but you can't be a straight gay.

15. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    1. Not all Pedophiles are exclusively attracted to prepubescent kids; alot of them also go for teenagers under 18 as well, which creates an issue with that argument that they do right there.

2. Are we seriously going to live in a world where scientists alter the facts to fit the opinions of mainstream public so there won't be a major outcry?

3. So let me get this straight, we have labels for people who are attracted to androgynous people exclusively or predominately but that does not apply to pedophiles? Okay then...

4. A sexual taste does have to do with sexual orientation in some aspects; not 100% but definitely within 80%.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank God it's not an orientation

17. Hexagon

Orientation is about gender. Non-binary genders are still genders. 'Child' isn't.

As for point 2, I'd have to both agree and disagree. In science in general, when terminology relates to a person, you have to consider the rights and dignity of the person you're describing. Not that I think this applies in this case.

18. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sold on this. Pedophiles have a persistent attraction pattern to a certain body type that feels programmed, at least to them. That it conflicts with the rest of society and puts other people in danger doesn't mean that biologically it's any different from an orientation. I think very much that the difference in terms between sexual orientations and sexual fetishes is a political one, not a biological one.

The argument against pedophilia and for homosexuality is not a difficult one to make. Pedophilia violates the principle that all parties should be able to consent in sexual acts. Homosexuality doesn't. Pedophilia hurts people. Homosexuality doesn't. Case closed. No need to invoke biological determinism here.

That said, I understand that religious fundies have trouble with things like subtlety or complexity, so in the short term calling pedophilia a 'paraphilia' is fine if it helps reduce the stigma to the LGBT crew. It's a politically convenient thing to do, not a scientific thing necessarily.

#18 Spatula, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it makes sense to classify it as a 'sexual interest' rather than as an 'orientation', in my opinion. I'm not necessarily convinced sexual interest is an appropriate label for it either, but it's probably the best you're going to get on an issue full of misinformation and emotional opinions, albeit understandable ones.

The problem with trying to measure pedophilia is that a lot of people only tend to have that one image in mind of what it is to be a pedophile, when in reality there's numerous dimensions of it which fall into different categories of abuse. The reason I say that pedophilia is best classed as an 'interest' is because, as Hexagon covered above, an orientation is geared towards a particular gender. Pedophilia, on the other hand, is a crime that is often committed within an opportunistic manner, so the ability to be picky about gender, body characteristics, cultural factors etc aren't feasible when targetting a group that is (aimed to be) one of the most protected age groups in society. One of the key issues that play into this sort of abuse is power, which is why occupations such as Priests have been notorious for their ability to abuse young children, and many do so in contradiction to what their sexual orientation would be. There's a case in the news as we speak regarding a member of the Lost Prophets, who pleaded guilty today for plotting to rape the two children of a woman he was speaking to regularly. Those two children were male and female.

I find that one of the simplest ways to outline how pedophilia isn't a sexual orientation is by attempting to apply the rules on sexual identity to pedophilia. We have to remember that sexual orientation is itself a series of socially-constructed labels, so if we tried to apply the social rules of an orientation to pedophilia then we'd arguably be able to conclude that heterosexual men and women would abuse children of their respective opposite sex, whereas those who are homosexual would abuse children of the same-sex. It simply doesn't work that way, as the opportunity to commit the crime and the power that is exerted during that crime so often plays a much more domineering role within the abuse than the gender identity of the child itself, so the sexual interest of pedophilia can more easily be linked to power and control than it can to certain orientation attributes. That isn't to say that gender will not play a role in it, but a pedophile who wants to act on their desires isn't going to be abstinent if they identify as heterosexual but lack access to a child of a different sex. Also take into consideration that a lot of cases of abuse that occur (and you likely don't hear about) happen amongst people who have similarly experienced sexual abuse at a young age, so their sexual development will have been seriously affected by the lack of appropriate boundaries they had during early childhood, and this is often complicated further by mental health and/or learning difficulties that often accompany such trauma. In that regard, you have a whole group of people who commit these crimes without necessarily having the guilty intent that we often associate to such crimes. That is still not acceptable in any circumstances, but the UK began recognising this particular trend about a decade ago and has since passed the Sexual Offences Act in (iirc) 2003 which, for the first time, offered a comprehensive framework for dealing with sexual abuse committed by people who are vulnerable themselves.

It becomes a lot more complicated amongst those who recognise this attraction and never act on it, but the invisibility that this group of people understandably have makes it very difficult to draw any evidence-based conclusions on. I'm sure there's probably literature out there that hopefully offers some initial insights into how their attractions fit into the wider discussion on pedophiliac interest and identity, but it's not something that I've really been trained on in any capacity.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, I'll agree with you. I'm still inclined to believe it's not technically on par with pure gender preference, but it also isn't fair for me or others to force it into that mold and denounce it when it doesn't fit. IMO it's still closer to a fetish than anything else, so should have a neutral connotation at worst.