1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Germany To Allow Third Gender Option On Birth Certificates

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gold Griffin, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Germany to allow third gender designation on birth certificates - CBS News

A great advancement in the field of rights for intersex infants. Hopefully this will start a movement that will culminate in the outlawing of cosmetic genital surgeries for newborns like the AIP is advocating for.

2. justjade

I wish I would have been born with a X on my birth certificate! :tantrum:

But in all seriousness, that's pretty awesome.

3. Ruthven

But will they also have the choice of M or F? Cause that instead seems to suggest otherwise...

I think it'd be great if all babies everywhere weren't assigned a gender.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My reading of the new legislation is that there is still the choice between M or F. X is an additional option for those who identify as intersex.

It's great to see that Germany has taken the lead on it.

5. Hexagon

IMO, they should stop making a legal distinction between genders. It serves no purpose other than making discrimination possible. You know, is it bad to simply not put gender on a birth certificate?

(Note: I am not arguing to eliminate the concept of gender, just for the government to get their asses out of it.)

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hex: I'm not certain if completely removing it would be that good in general. These numbers are compiled togeather for many reasons. Another thing that is sometimes on there that you could claim just makes discrimination possible is race. Either of these can be very useful for various things. A birth certificate actually is part of a person's health records, except that it is used for more things, and is stored by the government instead of just your doctor. There does need to be more information than just a name, a date, and a place so that there can be some verification it is actually you. Unfortunately, sex is generally one of the few things that doesn't change from infancy to adulthood. This is actually why some will list race as well. And, at least in MI, there are more options than just M or F, although they are not used very often. They are generally reserved for those born with some intersex condition.

7. Emulator

That sounds great. I hope a 'third gender' option will be recognised worldwide, instead of just going back to the usual M or F. Makes things so much easier.

8. LILuke

This is fantastic! Go Germany! :grin: