1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Barilla Pasta has a change of heart after Boycott

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DrkRayne, Nov 4, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of weeks ago, I had inadvertently picked up a box of their pasta, quickly noticed their brand, then put it back on the shelf.

Multiply that simple act by hundreds of thousands, let alone millions, and it kinda does have an impact on the bottom line...

I'm so glad to hear they're into "diversity and inclusion"...gee, they must've seen the light (you know the one they talk about during a near-death experience...).

Still not going to buy it.

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Obsviously do what you want. But tbf the second part of the "boycott" has to be to buy the product so that they are rewarded for following the demand.

4. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Doesn't change the fact that I once found a giant strand of hair in their sauce. No buy.

5. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hm... my mom started buyng catelli after the scandal... I guess she will still do so.

6. Silver Sparrow

I still think that I would not buy Barilla if given the choice ( I don't shop for my household).

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not convinced yet, and have found it very easy to live without Barilla.

I've been buying DeCecco instead, at the local Italian grocer's, and find it much better quality.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point, I guess it's in the extent of the effort and the sincerity behind this new campaign that I find woefully wanting.

Nor have we heard from the chairman himself; this is just too much a marketing department move and essentially rings hollow with me.

9. GirlWhoWaited

gibson234, I hadn't really thought about this. I might buy it just for that purpose. :slight_smile:

10. Tim

Tim

Tbh, I didn't agree with the boycott in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, what the CEO said was despicable, but it was his opinion. People are entitled to their opinion. Even if it's hateful. Unless he acts on those hateful thoughts like beating someone, it's not our place to judge them. However, when he decided to speak out as part of the company, it became more than him.

But on the same hand, there's thousands of people employed by Barilla, and I highly doubt all of them agree with him, and the boycott would affect them as well.

It's not right to punish everyone because of the opinion of one.

So I'm happy to see this. I'm also happy to see this because the Chik-Fil-A boycott didn't work because it didn't impact them much. However, the fact this apparently affected Barilla enough that they made an entire new part of the company to combat it tells me that the amount of LGBT friendly people have grown substantially over the past couple years.

11. Ticklish Fish

*insert joke about spaghetti not straight when warmed*

12. StevieB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not buying it, the pasta or the "change of heart".

13. DoriaN

14. Hexagon

I'm not buying it. As far as I could tell, they just said "It was all a misunderstanding, gays are great". And we know that isn't true, because nothing he says will change what came out of his mouth in the first place. What we need is an apology. He needs to say he was wrong, inflicted by unjust prejudice, and he wants to make a change for the better. Now, that I would accept.

Not that I've ever bought this stuff. I buy supermarket brand pasta, and it probably wouldn't be available here.

Yes, people are entitled to their opinion. It isn't the place of govenment or anyone to censor them. But we have our opinions to. 'Opinion' doesn't protect anyone. We can't just wait for an accepting world to come along.

It would be the owner who would have been hurting his employes. Not us.

15. Tim

Tim

Let's go on a smaller scale for emphasis.

You go to a local cafe. Has 1 owner and say, 5 employees.

Owner says he doesn't LGBT people. People boycott.

Who's the one really affected? The owner who said something insulting who probably has money from their decent amount of income, or the lower class people working for a living that have their paychecks affected because of something their boss said?

Most factory workers make more than minimum wage. However, in the case of a boycott that affects the bottom line, their pay can be cut without cause, as long as it's above the minimum wage.

No, it's not the bosses fault. Yes, they should have kept their mouth to themselves, but a boycott accomplishes nothing but punishing everything for the actions of one person.

16. olides84

^ I really don't understand your logic.

People boycott Barilla (or this small cafe), they lose customers, employees may lose jobs. That I understand.

But then people buy another brand, or go to another cafe, and they gain customers, and so they hire new employees. It's a zero-sum result.

But what we now have is one company that doesn't support us having hard times, and another company that does support us reaping the benefit. Sounds good to me!

And finally, I would guarantee that if it's a small cafe with an owner, his/her life savings might be invested in that cafe, and will definitely be the one majorly hurt - the others can find another job at that supportive cafe.

17. Tim

Tim

That would be the case, but it's not in the case of a factory. They're already producing as much as they can, thus, new employees are not necessary. All it does it add to their profit line.

You're doing nothing but punishing Barilla employees.