1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News NJ couple sues Christie over gay 'therapy' ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

The article goes on to say that their child is suffering from "unwanted gender identity and sexual orientation issues" and that they feel that they should be able to "seek treatment" for their child.

I think I've got an idea, how about you get approved treatment that will actually help your child..

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just disgusting.

3. DrkRayne

he's 15, they are religious and want to put their kid into therapy that has been shown to lead to depression and suicidal tendencies...okay.
    I seriously doubt this teen wants to do it. Parents force their childrent into this. Tell them to wait till he's 18 then let HIM choose.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is another piece of evidence that "Freedom of Religion" only applies to Christians in today's society.

To use their own argument about Constitutional application, the First Amendment was intended by the Framers to guarantee that you could attend whatever church you wanted, and practice whatever religion you want. It doesn't however, give you the right to screw up children, fire your employees, and kick your tenants out of their home because of your beliefs that are wrong to begin with.

5. photoguy93

Why don't they just go to church? I mean...if you're so religious, why do you need a "therapist" to help you? Shouldn't your almighty church be able to do it?

OH, wait. They didn't think about it because they don't have brains and this is a pathetic excuse for therapy!

6. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    How is their freedom of speech violated? Do they not know what that term means?

7. Grimm

I just feel sorry for their poor kid. I can imagine the kind of hell he probably gets put through at home. Plus, he probably gets dragged to some church where a bunch of bigots tell him that he's unnatural and sinful. I know from experience how awful that is.
    And it's great that Christie signed that bill. Gay-conversion therapy is disgusting and a total affront to humanity in general.

8. blueberrymuffin

That poor Christie just can't catch a break, even in the rare case he does something right.

I think he should sue the couple to have them castrated and if the kid is really suicidal, to have him/her removed from them, since their hate and rejection is undoubtedly the cause. That's clear emotional abuse. People like that should not have kids.

9. LILuke

I hate it when people who are trying to oppress and mistreat other people act like THEY are being oppressed when someone finally steps in and stops them.

10. Foxface

I can't even tell you the heated arguments we got into in Professional Ethics for Therapists. Long story short, and yes this is my professional opinion, conversion therapy is weak and ineffective at best and dangerous at worst. This is an entire therapy based on two principles

1. Changing fundamentals of a human being
    2. Pacifying the parents of said being

Sorry folks, you can't pray the gay away or use therapy to make someone not gay. First, it isn't a disease. Second and more importantly there is nothing with being unique.

The problem is even if this so-called conversion worked, all it would really do is throw back the the poor adolescent into deeper shame and regret.

It's the equivalent of trying to deny I am a Cismale. Therapy no matter how strenuous is going to change that I am a guy and it sure isn't going to 'cure' homosexuality

It's unethical and fatalities have occurred as a result

Foxface

11. RainyViolinist

12. Ridiculous

"Freedom of Speech" is like argument salt & pepper to many US citizens. You sprinkle it over whatever you say, even if it is completely irrelevant, and chances are you can get away with it because no one wants to be seen as anti-speech freedom.

13. Lipstick Leuger

If it is so unwanted, then he can decide at 18 to go himself.

14. All41

Parents like this clearly don't love their children. If you abandon your child on the streets or seek treatment that is shown to increase suicide and depression and doesn't really work; then clearly you don't love your child like you should.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is not your "religious right" to torture your gay 15 year old son trying to "convert" him... smdh.

16. blueberrymuffin

Someone asked why they didn't just take the kid to a preacher, and you know that does seem like what fundamentalist nuts would reflexively do, not to a therapist. I think either their local churches refused (possible in NJ) or gave them the idea to sue, as part of a desperate ploy of subjecting minors to this monstrous "therapy"

Of course, they have no chance of success.