1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Terry McAuliffe & Chris Christie win

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Nov 5, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moments ago, CNN projected that Democrat Terry McAuliffe has been elected the Governor of Virginia. After trailing all night, McAuliffe finally pulled ahead and has taken the lead for good. In what McAuliffe wanted to turn into a referendum on the Tea Party, and what Republican candidate Ken Cuccinelli wanted to turn into a referendum on Obamacare, Virginia rejected the Tea Party. CNN exit polls were showing that 44% of today's voters called themselves moderate, vs 30% calling themselves conservative and 26% identifying as liberal.

McAuliffe was down as much as 200,000 votes at one point earlier in the night, but as of 10:04 PM, the time I'm writing this, Terry McAuliffe had 969,884 votes (47.1%), Ken Cuccinelli had 951,373 votes (46.2%), and Libertarian Robert Sarvis carried an impressive 137,264 votes (6.7%).

Chris Christie's night ended early tonight, as minutes after the polls closed at 7:00 PM Eastern Time, he was projected the winner. As of this moment, Christie is carrying 59.9% of the vote. Democratic nominee Barbara Buono blasted her own party in her concession speech tonight, saying that she lost because of, "the onslaught of betrayal from our own political party."

"We rose above the poltical system that too often requires surrendering one’s values. A system where backroom deals fueled with greed and self interest are just the order of business," Buono continued.

In other news, New York City elected its first Democratic mayor in 20 years. The New York Times is reporting that Democrat Bill De Blasio is blowing his Republican opponent, Joseph Lota, out of the water with 72% of the vote.

The night ended even earlier in the Virginia Lieutenant Governor's race, as Ralph Northam defeated homophobic and woman-hating Republican minister E.W. Jackson with 54.8% of the vote. If the party composition in the Virginia Senate doesn't change, this gives Democrats control of the chamber, as there are 20 Democrats and 20 Republicans, and in the event of a tie vote, the Lieutenant Governor breaks the tie.

#1 AwesomGaytheist, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. I always wonder how blue states elect a republican nominee and vice-versa.

I remember that California elected Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-California) almost ten years ago. I always wondered how that happened.

#2 anthonythegamer, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Obviously not surprising that Christie smashed Buono. But I'm quite surprised how narrowly McAuliffe is going to win. The Affordable Care Act definitely played a role in keeping the Virginia race close.

Christie is by far the most electable Republican in 2016.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The lesson of Schwarzenegger's victory is that whoever has the most money in politics wins, and that in times of crisis, voters lose all sanity.

California voters widely blamed incumbent Democratic governor Gray Davis for the Enron Energy Crisis, and a recall effort started. It was really the perfect storm. A year earlier in 2002, in a nasty and bitter campaign, a record low voter turnout narrowly re-elected Gray Davis. California law states that in order to recall a statewide official, you have to have petition signatures equal to 8% of the votes cast in the last gubernatorial election.

Republican Congressman Darrel Issa, who's one of the looniest members of Congress, poured millions of dollars in his own money for the petition drive to get the recall on the ballot, and then once Schwarzenegger, a millionaire actor got into the race, he had all the money he needed.

In the end, 55.4% voted yes on recall, 44.6% voted no, and Schwarzenegger won the replacement vote in a plurality, taking 48.6% of the vote, Democratic Lieutenant Governor Cruz Bustamante winning 31.5%, and Republican Tom McClintock winning 13.41%.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was supposed to be the savior of the California GOP, but as his administration ended, the California Republican Party had been decimated on a wide scale.

5. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm more happy that the Cuch lost than McAuliffe winning, but I'm even more happy that Northam won. The reason why he was trailng in the beginning was because they were just counting votes from southwest va, which is super red. )When I went to vote, there were only Cuch signs out front and a guy who calls himself "Republican Dave" was there begging people to vote for Cuch >_> I hate where I live) Once they started counting the votes from Northern Va is when McAuliffe pulled ahead.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ken Cuccinelli just officially conceded, and he sounded pretty bitter over his defeat. He also repeated the same crap about how freedoms and rights somehoe don't come from the government and come from a god that doesn't exist.

Terry McAuliffe is now giving his victory speech in Tysons Corner, Virginia, and his voice is quite raspy. He's been doing a lot of campaigning in the last several hours. The final total was 47.6% for McAuliffe and 45.8% for Cuccinelli.

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That isn't always the case, but money certainly gives a candidate a massive advantage.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to see that Bill de Blasio won in NYC. I think he can do some real good, getting rid of stop and frisk and etc.

9. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If Chris Christie runs for President, I don't want to hear a word about America's obesity problem. You're exhibit A. Go get em Hillary

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Christie has actually lost weight and probably will continue to do so after having surgery.

Besides, Chris Christie's weight won't exactly be near the top of the list of the electorate's concerns. It'll be a non-factor, and rightfully so.

11. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Gastric Bypass and Lipo is cheating.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cuccinelli's concession speech was hardly gracious. He just talked about how the Democrats are supposedly destroying everybody's freedoms. None of the usual,

"I just called (insert opponent's name) to congratulate him. He ran a great campaign and I pray that he'll do a good job Thanks to everybody who voted for me, worked for our campaign, blah blah blah. Let's put the partisanship aside and stop the fighting and start the healing."

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing how northern VA swings elections, due to the population density there. Viewed from DC, across the Potomac, it's like a super-sized version of DC. And growing, and diverse. I think Virginia will become reliably blue as this area expands; the unpopulated rural areas will be unable to compete in statewide elections.

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That may happen in the future, but I don't think any time soon.

I am by no means a Cuccinelli supporter, but he was outspent by a huge margin and still came within just a couple points of winning. If a more "establishment" Republican who spent more money than Cuccinelli ran against McAuliffe, Republicans probably would have won Virginia.

It's still a real toss-up state, and will probably stay that way through 2016.

15. DrkRayne

I really can't believe Cuccinelli any votes at all. Honestly he supported and pushed for a law that made oral sex illegal...for gay and straight people.
    Really...did he not realize how many heterosexual men he would piss off with that law? Making blow jobs illegal?
    Hmm I believe straight people engage in sodomy just as much as us gays and lesbians :slight_smile:

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'll happen soon enough, though. The area has shown explosive growth. DC has height limitations, such that buildings can't be taller than the Washington monument...Virginia doesn't, and it really shows, looking across the Potomac to the glittering skyscrapers. Makes an odd contrast.

The density and area of suburban DC will keep expanding, like the blob, and gobble up Republicans like a horror movie!

Also, the Democratic candidate was similarly weak; had they a stronger candidate, I think they could have won by an even bigger margin.

Well, now I feel like I can go there again, as a tourist. Many people, myself included, have refused to spend any money in the state, so as to not give a dime to their government's tax-coffers, and the evil Cucinelli & Co. His brand of far right politics made the state seem backwards and unappealing to many people in this region, what with his vaginal probes and wanting to ban oral sex, anal sex, and other silly thing. My God, did he really think he could win an election with such zany positions? Even in Virginia with Obama's popularity below 40%, he still lost.

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, Cuccinelli should have been cruising toward an easy victory. It's been an established norm for over 30 years that Virginia elects governors that are opposite to the president's party. Terry McAuliffe was an incredibly weak, flawed candidate, with a sleazy corrupt reputation.

Sure, a well-funded moderate Republican could have beaten McAuliffe.

But "establishment" Republican? Cuccinelli and his Tea Party far-right brand of extremism ARE the establishment of today's Republican Party. They control who the party nominates to run in general elections. And the national GOP brand is now set in stone at this point- far-right extremism on economic and especially social issues- and that stone will hang around the neck and weigh down any politician affiliated with the Republican brand, even if they are personally more moderate themselves.

Virginia is already blue state at this point, and is only getting bluer and bluer by the day. The DC burbs/NoVA are exploding in population and pushing further and further to the left as the Republican Party digs its heals in deeper and deeper with the anti-government, religious fundamentalist bullshit. Obama carried the state comfortably twice. In 2012, Virginia was more Democratic than the national average for the first time since 1948.

Ultimately the same forces that broke Virginia away from the super-Democratic Solid South and made it a Republican state in the 1952-2004 period, are what are now returning the state to its Democratic roots. Those moderate Northern Virginia suburbanites who don't identify all too strongly with Dixie culture and Dixie conservatism. Fairfax County, Loudon County, Prince William County.

[​IMG]

Look at the election results from the 1976 election between Jimmah Carter, a true Southunah, a peanut farmer from rural Georgia and devout Evangelical Christian, versus Gerald Ford, a moderate Northern Republican from Michigan. Carter was clearly the more Southern, and arguably even the more conservative candidate in the race, at least in terms of religious conservatism. Carter swept the South, carrying every single Confederate state- except one: Virginia.

[​IMG]

While Carter won most of the rural counties in Virginia, Ford narrowly carried Virginia overall. How? His narrow statewide margin of victory was provided by his victories in NoVA. Fairfax County, Loudon County, and Prince William County all voted for Gerald Ford. The same three NoVA counties you can see going blue for Barack Obama on the 2008 map below delivering him his victory there, even as McCain won much of the rest of the state:

1976 presidential election county map:
    [​IMG]

2008 presidential election county map:
    [​IMG]

18. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really.

McAuliffe was definitely a shitty candidate, but Cuccinelli was so extreme that he was an even more shitty candidate. In addition, Cuccinelli was just hammered with television ads and had very little money. So, to say Cuccinelli should have "cruised" to a win is a major stretch, even with Virginia's past of electing governors that are the opposite party of the president. As I said, Virginia may begin to start turning blue, but they aren't a "blue" state now. A candidate like Chris Christie would do well in Virginia.

As for the Republican establishment, it's still a majority of traditional conservatives and neoconservatives, though the Tea Party has still done a lot of damage to the party.

#18 Mike92, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'll turn blue. I'm goin' down there and see it does! Then, onto North Carolina, which has become really an ugly place, politically, and has gone downhill fast, in terms of social ills.

But there's really no stopping Virginia from changing, unless the Republicans give up their tacit racism, fear of 'foreigners', gays and any number of other ugly undercurrents running though it. They're pretty much the party of old, Christian, straight white men.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such a shame. North Carolina used to be a shining beacon of sanity among typical religious right racism. And I hate how all the Republicans today say, "Well the Democrat Party (We're called the Democratic Party, dumbass.) supported slavery and opposed civil rights. We're not the racists, YOU are!"

Really? Considering when the Republicans used their Southern Strategy, all the old Dixiecrats fled to the GOP and the Democratic Party moved further to the left. In fact, most Southern Republican politicians were Democrats at one point. Current Georgia Governor Nathan Deal was a Democrat until 1995. Newly elected Representative from Alabama Bradley Byrne switched in 1997, and the list goes on and on.

And it's not my party that's deliberately trying to prevent Black people from voting and to make sure only White landowners get to vote.

#20 AwesomGaytheist, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013