1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Republican-turned-Independent-turned Democrat Charlie Crist running for governor

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Nov 6, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Charlie Crist running for Florida governor — with Democrats’ blessing - The Washington Post

Former Florida governor Charlie Crist is campaigning to get his old job back. Crist was elected as the second-straight Republican Governor of Florida in 2006 to succeed Jeb Bush. Crist was ultra conservative and was quoted as calling himself, "A typical, anti-tax, pro-gun Republican." Crist publicly supported Florida's Amendment 2, which banned any recognition of same-sex relationships, though he now says, "I look forward to the day (gay marriage) is legal in Florida.

In 2010, after being crucified by Republicans for embracing Barack Obama at an event, and losing the Republican primary for US Senate, Crist abandoned the Republican Party and became the second Independent Governor in America at that time. Crist dropped his anti-abortion stance and vetoed anti-abortion legislation afterwards.

In December of 2012, Charlie Crist announced he was joining the Democratic Party, and on Monday, announced he was seeking a second term as Florida's chief executive, looking to unseat his successor, former health insurance mogul and multi-millionaire, Rick Scott, one of America's most unpopular governors and facing an uphill battle toward reelection. In 2010, one of the worst elections for Democrats, he defeated his Democratic opponent, Alex Sink by 1.15%, while other Democrats in Florida were annihilated at the polls.

Should Crist win in 2014, he would be eligible to run again in 2018, as Florida governors are term-limited to two consecutive terms, meaning they can sit out 4 years after two terms and then run again.

Crist only has one opponent in the Democratic primary so far-former State Senate Minority Leader Nan Rich. Crist's declaration of party affiliation, as well as his campaign announcement, have shaken up the Democratic Party in Florida. Some Democrats see Crist as their saving grace, as Democrats haven't won the Governor's race since Lawton Chiles was reelected in 1994. Others see Crist's conservative record and say that fake Democrats need not apply.

If a Crist vs. Scott race were to happen, it would be a bitter, nasty, and expensive campaign that would be watched all over the country.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to see Crist unseat Rick Scott, whom, as you mention, is about as popular as dandruff.

I've never been one to believe in demons and such, but if they did exist, I think they'd look like Rick Scott.

Also: It seems there was speculation about Crist being gay, at some point, despite his (brief) marriages.

#2 HuskyPup, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandma has always said that Charlie Crist's homosexuality is Tallahassee's worst-kept secret. I was going to mention that in here, but I wrote this at almost 1 AM.