1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Bisexuality seen as illegitimate, study finds...grrr

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SemiCharmedLife, Nov 7, 2013.

1. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. GirlWhoWaited

I think we've all seen this in action here on EC and beyond. It's disheartening, isn't it? On the bright side, we don't exist. We're like unicorns. :wink:

Also, how does knowing why bisexuals are viewed as unacceptable prevent the spread of HIV? Seems like a bit of a leap to me...

3. Aquilo

A better title for that article would be '85% of people doesn't think that bisexuality doesn't exists'. It only mentions that only 15% of all people don't believe in bisexuality. Nothing to worry much about, probably more people believe that the moon landings were fake etc.

4. GirlWhoWaited

I like your optimism. :slight_smile:

5. yidnah87

You scared me a bit with this thread title, lol. 15% isn't exactly a commanding percentage, and that minority will only shrink as time goes on. I personally am proud to be living proof that we do indeed exist, as I am now out :slight_smile:

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've know I was bi since I was eight I know it's really judging from my own experience

7. Tarquin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've come across that opinion in real life numerous times. From being ostracized by straight people to disbelief from gay/lesbian persons. It seems most people want you to make a choice one way or the other. Appreciating both makes you odd. :rolle:
    Also, not to be a downer, but that study is a little misleading. 15% of 1500 people is not a lot considering the population of the U.S. alone is 314 million. That leaves a very large number of people on both sides that disagree with bisexual orientation. I'd be interested in seeing a map of localities that support or disagree with the lifestyle.

p.s. Here is a place that lets you answer that question: why can't you pick a side
    http://bisexual.org/qna/why-cant-you-bisexuals-just-make-up-your-mind-and-pick-a-side/
    Woefully under-answered

#7 Tarquin, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Wow. My father is like this. He thinks bisexuals are just females and males who don't want to come out all the way. It's sick.

"Do you like pie?"
    "yeah"
    "Do you like cake?"
    "yeah"
    "WHAT!? How can you like both!? You're just to afraid to admit the truth."

9. DoriaN

Ironically the most prejudice towards bisexuals comes from the LGBT community itself.

10. Hexagon

Yeah, the title freaked me out a little. 85% of people thinking I exist isn't that bad, really.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've also ran into straight guys who can't believe that men could be bisexual and says only women can but the one I've hate the most is when i had dated a straight guy they always wanted me to be bisexual in the bed room like i'm putting on a performance and act straight for everything else(i'm still a virgin and never did 3somes nor do i want to ) . I also shocked this other straight guy when i told i don't consider myself straight since i am bisexual .

12. Ridiculous

Only 15%? That's actually a lot better than I thought it would be!

13. Hexagon

Yeah, (unfortunately) there are plenty of people who would say homosexuality is invalid as well.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't take a study to inform most bisexuals of what we already know; call it cowardly, but I don't often use the term "bisexual" specifically when describing my orientation in person, if at all, for this very reason.

15. jessisgurl1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Forum, just wanted to post that The Advocate wants you to take pictures and post them on Nov. 11 as the subject is lgbt day and they want to show that lgbt people are nothing to be scared of. Their words. So take pictures and show the world who you are that day.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't tell many people orientation for the same reason

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not surprised by this. Multisexual denialism and hatred is strong in both heterosexual and gay communities.

Ziester Adrian

18. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Isn't it funny that they think sexuality is a choice but they don't believe in a sexuality where you could be attracted to either a guy or a girl. Truly amazing, and I've never known of any LGT people who were against Bisexual people.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which is sad, really, from a group that's used to being ostracized, ostracizing one of their own subgroups? It doesn't make sense to me. Do some think there's a pecking order of importance in the LGBT community or something?

20. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "against", (no one told me I would go to hell, denied my civil rights, or forced me to go to conversion therapy or tried to rape me) but I've encountered it in real life. In fact, that's part of the reason I found EC, because when I went to my lesbian friends for advice to help me figure out what the hell happened, it wasn't helpful at all, and kinda weird.

One friend said, "Ewww" when I told her I'd slept with a guy. (I wasn't graphic about it either) and also said, "How could you?" like I'd betrayed my label or something. This was the EXACT same words my hetro sister said 5 yrs eariler when I came out as a lesbian. I actually shrugged my shoulders and said, "Sorry," like I had something to be sorry about.

Another friend who was trying to be funny said to her, "You don't know? It's like when I assembled that hutch. First you unwrap the packaging, then you put tab A into slot B,..." The other 2 started laughing, and the first one glared at her and said "I know HOW, I meant why!" I wanted to know why too, but I didn't want any crap over it.

Some of the 'helpful' advice I did get was

"Your biological clock is ticking. You just wanted him to screw you so you could a baby."
    While it's true that neither of us used protection, it was because it was totally unplanned, and I'd never had to think about birth control before. So why did I still want him AFTER being on the pill?"

He's your friend, going through rough time, it was just sympathy sex. It didn't mean anything."
    The first part of the sentence was true, but I've had sympathy for guys before, didn't cause me to sleep with them, or enjoy it afterwards.

And the real kicker: "It's just a phase," like I hadn't heard THAT one before. I mean, WTF? I wanted to bang my head against the table with that one. Maybe it is though, we've only been having sex for 7 months now, but he still rocks my world.