1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Senate passes ENDA

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Nov 7, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The US Senate today passed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, the first time it had been voted on since 1996, when it failed by one vote.

The Senate voted 64-32 to pass SB 815, with ten Republicans (Lisa Murkowski-AK, John McCain-AZ, Jeff Flake-AZ, Mark Kirk-IL, Susan Collins-ME, Kelly Ayotte-NH, Dean Heller-NV, Pat Toomey-PA, Orrin Hatch-UT, and Rob Portman-OH), 52 Democrats and 2 Independents voting Yea, with 3 Republicans and 1 Democrat not voting.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) said the bill is not scheduled for a vote in the House.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said that ENDA would hurt small businesses and "create frivolous litigation."

President Obama had this to say on the bill:

“Just as no one in the United States can lose their job simply because of their race, gender, religion or a disability, no one should ever lose their job simply because of who they are or who they love.”

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s815

2. yidnah87

Regardless of what happens with John Bonehead and the NutHouse, the Senate made a statement today.

3. justjade

4. Foxface

yeah frivolous lawsuits. I can't think of anything more pointless than suing because you were fired for being trans

[/sarcasm]

Foxface

5. yidnah87

My view:

We have two options when it comes to ENDA:

1. Pass it. This is what I would recommend.

2. Don't pass it AND repeal all non-discrimination laws regarding race, gender, religion, disability, etc etc to ensure consistency with the belief that we should not have these laws prohibiting discrimination.

The status quo is inconsistent, and we need to make it consistent. Which option above shall we choose?

6. blueberrymuffin

^You're exactly right. Anyone in favor of keeping workplace protections for race and religion and even pregnancy status (some are things we clearly choose) but not sexuality is a bigot period. The current law is discriminatory and unconstitutional. It's great to see it pass in the senate, but history will condemn Boehner, as i do now.

7. Silver Sparrow

8. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Good for the Senate, but what of the House?

If sexual orientation isn't protected, then you can't even go on a date without risking your career.
    If sexual identity isn't protected, you could be fired just for going outside, unless you stay undercover.
    Both of these would create unfair pressure on LGBT people.

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very unlikely to pass in the House, but hey you need one before the other. Better than nothing.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Needs moar Republicans voting for it- the GOP really was grand before religious nuts took over.
    ENDA doesn't hurt small businesses in any way. What would the connection be? I never liked corporations, and ENDA will help put an end to shady CEOs who are only trying to keep a public image.

11. Frivolous lawsuits? Oh bitch PLEASE! Boner is just a bigot.

I wish it was like 2008, House and Senate was both Democrat. However, it wouldn't really be fair for the GOP (sarcasm).

#11 anthonythegamer, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013