1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Police Raid ‘Gay Addiction’ Torture Clinic In Ecuador, Free 17 “Barely Alive” Captive

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Nov 9, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

More here

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Re: Police Raid ‘Gay Addiction’ Torture Clinic In Ecuador, Free 17 “Barely Alive” Cap

...I have no words... :frowning2:

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: Police Raid ‘Gay Addiction’ Torture Clinic In Ecuador, Free 17 “Barely Alive” Cap

:icon_sad: I don't even know what to say. This is just so horrible it makes me feel depressed

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's sad, how far certain people will go with cruelty. It makes me wonder what goes on in places like China, and other repressive regimes. And even here, among the pray-away-the-gay movement, I'll bet there's some abuse going on.

It's bizarre to me how certain people want to 'control' the sexual expression of others; I just don't get it.

I wonder: Does this site make it past the 'great firewall of China'?

5. justjade

When I was still going to church, a girl told me that electroshock therapy was used on homosexuals by groups like Love In Action. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I'm fairly willing to bet it is. People can be really cruel, especially about things like sexual orientation and gender. That's just fucking terrible. :frowning2:

6. Bright Eyes

:frowning2:
    This is really sad.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Equally appalling, a number of these so-called "clinics" are operated by a US-based company that owns a large network of "wilderness schools" and other "training programs" for "problematic youth."

There are thousands of kids sent to these facilities each year, outside of US jurisdiction, where governmental controls and oversight are all but nonexistent. An acquaintance of mine in his mid-20s, who was stuck in one of those facilities for three years, from age 15 to 18, just killed himself a couple months ago. He'd had PTSD symptoms, depression, and other mental problems ever since he came back from the facility (he was fine, other than being gay, before being placed there.)

It's important that we keep the awareness of these sorts of places in our consciousness, because the only way they'll get shut down for good is constant pressure on elected officials, both in the countries like Ecuador, Costa Rica, and Jamaica, where they operate, as well as here in the US.

8. silkfrog1292

Yes it does. I accessed this website last year in Beijing, nonetheless.

You'd be surprised to find that a remarkable number and variety of sites make it past the Great Firewall, it's not as powerful as many think.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Launch me into space and bring me back when the bigoted ass generation finally dies.

10. Squabla

Out Status:
    Some people

It's things like this that just make me want to dig a hole and jump right in. Great job humanity. Great job.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

That is the FIRST thing that came to mind when I began to read this. There have been some outrageous practices in religious conversion movements that have permanently damaged people or sent them over the brink. It's sad that it happens anywhere. So if it can happen in the U.S., it can happen anywhere.

12. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people

If you're referring to cruelty against gays on this level, it's unlikely to be found there. East Asian countries have typically been not very violent at all against gay people (gays have no cultural visibility and are expected to marry others of the opposite sex, however people don't care what you do in your bedroom - for real, not like homophobes in the West who say that, but then arrest you for having sex in your own house). Any radical homophobia present in these countries is likely an import from the West along with the spreading of Abrahamic religions (the main culprit of the extreme and violent forms of homophobia that exist today). In China religious groups are kept on a very tight leash by the government, and the limiting of religious freedom (especially that of Christians, who have a bad reputation in China after causing one of the country's biggest bloodbaths) does have the advantage of keeping gays safe.

13. Silver Sparrow

SPeechless

14. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

In 2002 I knew a girl (she was my first lesbian experience but we broke up and she hooked up with someone else) who was making out with her new girlfriend in school, in public, and the school called the parents in. My former girlfriends parents paid money to sent her to a conversion therapy thing that was in the US, in Georgia I think. Her parents and mine were in the same church. When I told my mom what they did, she said she knew, and thought it was a good idea. I wish I could remember what group it was that put this therapy on.

She was there for about a month, but could've been there longer, except they "cured" her. Basically she pretended to be receptive to the brainwashing because things got progressively worse and she was smart enough to realize that was the only way she was getting out of there.

When she got back home, I talked to her about what happened there. That particular place didn't actually do electroshock therapy on her, but she heard rumors from other kids about that happening to the hard cases. It might been real or it might've been something the so called therapists wanted kids to think, I don't know. This place was way out in the country, and she didn't even no where exactly. They had limited communication with the outside world, and that was to her parents. What they could watch on TV was religious in nature. What she did say happened to her was round the clock prayer sessions, sleep deprivation, classes for girls on how to be more feminine, and for guys to be more masculine acting. Not everything revolved around the bible though, as the girls had plenty of steamy hetro romance novels to read. There was even sex ed, sort of, with R rated nude hetro images shown to her, of guys by themselves or with a woman. They never physically harmed her, it was psychological in nature, but then it was in the US. If she'd had gone to a foreign one, who knows what might've happened.

The most frustrating thing she saw there was this "therapist" badgering this one shy girl who came in with low self esteem issues before she even had the "therapy", and telling her that God hated homesexuality so much that it's better to die a heterosexual, than live as Gay or lesbian, because the hetro soul will go to heaven, and the gay one will burn in hell for all eternity. What happened to my friend was one of the factors which kept me in the closet about my same sex relationships when I was growing up.

15. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

This is disgusting, and horrible! Why would people do this?