1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Vatican sends "modern family" survey for Catholics, includes gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by resu, Nov 9, 2013.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pope Francis' latest surprise: a survey on the modern family - World News

Yes, it may not be satisfying for some gay activists or those who are just anti-religion, but as a gay Catholic, I think it's very positive that Pope Francis is not shying away from hot-button issues.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Francis already said "Who am I to judge ... " in a statement around the time he went to Brazil. I think he is more open minded than most other top brass types in the Catholic church, but there are still many, albeit younger, who are in the mold of Ratzinger.

American parishes are all over the map, as you know - from uber-conservative to uber-liberal, with most being somewhere in between. Frankly, I don't know how the Catholic church will reconcile the 21st Century with its archaic beliefs on many topics.

3. English Frenchman

As a Catholic, this makes me very happy

4. Ridiculous

I would fall into both of those groups :lol:.

It's great that things appear to at least be moving in the right direction. "No longer being completely awful" isn't praiseworthy though.
    Whether it is satisfying... eehh. I know things can't change instantly but I'm still not going to be satisfied until they have changed.

5. biggayguy

Change takes a long time in the Catholic church my friends. It took men going to the moon before the Vatican would admit that the earth is round. The Church may not fully accept gay people in our lifetimes.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I was thinking of members like you when I wrote that. Honestly, I don't think you will ever be satisfied with their changes, but that's in part because they are not trying to satisfy you. Even in the sample questions from the link, their primary concern is the faith itself and how it can remain true to it's core values. I am reminded of Jonathan Haidt's TED talk about the "moral roots of liberals and conservatives", where to you as a more liberal person, such attachment to core values is moot.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bgg:

I think that some congregations or parishes will accept GLBTQs as part of their flocks; however, I don't ever think the RCC headquarters will change its tune that anything other than heterosexual living, or celibacy and abstention, are the only acceptable ways to go. So, they'll welcome you to church, because it's a "hospital for sinners," but, at the same time, GLBTQs will always be sinners of the more egregious variety, as you say, in our lifetimes.

Within the Ratzinger era, I believe the RCC said homosexuality is "intrinsically disordered." It could have been said prior to Ratzinger. Either way, those are powerful and pungent words. Then, they have other write-ups which say that GLBTs should be treated with compassion and sensitivity, and thus be accepted. Isn't that nice ... and condescending at the very same time?

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After centuries of Popes I haven't liked, I am finally starting to warm up to this one. He may not be officially saying "gays go get married" but he's still saying more than any other has.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finally a Pope who has started to enter the 21st century. It is refreshing to see that Francis is trying to change course.

10. GirlWhoWaited

This was a nice thing to see this morning. I think changing the thinking of such a large denomination will take a lot of time and careful maneuvering. I think Francis is moving as quickly as possible with the way things are today. A lot of predominately Catholic countries are less tolerant than the US is, and he has to be cautious about that. I do think he's taking major strides, though. :slight_smile:

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a misconception ... to some extent. Same sex marriage arrived in Spain in 2005, and Spain has a very Catholic history. It made it to Portugal and France, too. It's even in Argentina, the Pope's home country. Most Catholic countries, for some reason those in warm weather climates, are more tolerant than the US when it comes to sexuality. Their approach: they just shrug and don't care. Some people in these countries are upset at the same sex marriage situation because it defies tradition, hence the protests in Paris, but these countries have typically never been difficult from homosexuals to live in, and I'm talking Italy, Brazil, and Greece, among others. They just don't care, and the Greek Orthodox are similar to Catholics, but even more conservative. In fact, look at all the nude beaches in Greece that cater to tourists, and are far from tame. Practically every Greek island with any kind of tourism has one, or two, or three. And Brazil is just an insane party, with 14% of the population of Rio being GLBT. Yeah, the conservative Catholic Brazilians in the city probably don't like it, but they know it's not going away and they don't do anything about it. The crime problem there is a much bigger fish to fry than the sexuality issue.

Now, if you're talking the Philippines, or Bolivia, or Iraq (which has a minor Christian segment), then your statement makes sense. However, it's the Protestant belts in the Midwest and the South that would be harder for GLBTs to live without hassles than modern, predominately Catholic countries in Europe or South America.

12. GirlWhoWaited

I was referring to the less tolerant ones. Of course, progress is happening everywhere, but places like the ones you mentioned and some African countries that have large Catholic populations still have laws forbidding homosexuality.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True. I forgot Catholic African countries, and the emergence of by-the-book Catholicism there.

14. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    And what are the choices you can tick?

"What pastoral attention can be given to people who live in these types of [same-sex] union?"

A. Recite the Bible to convince them that their unions are an abomination.

B. Give them brochures for ex-gay "clinics."

C. Kill 'em!

???

15. GirlWhoWaited

:rolle: