1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Salvation Army: “Gays Need to Be Put to Death”

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Adi, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    [​IMG]

Christmas, it is the time of the year for holiday shopping, and also hearing the bell ringers for the Salvation Army collection donations. Those donations provide Christmas dinners, clothing, and Christmas toys for children in need. The charity collects millions of dollars in donations every year, and they distribute it to needy families, seniors, and the homeless in keeping with the spirit of the holiday season.

The Salvation Army has expressed their Christian beliefs in the past, stating that they do not accept the LGBTQ lifestyle, nor do they stand up for gay marriage. Salvation Army went on record recently, stating that LGBTQ parents should be put to death as the bible instructs. Major Andrew Craibe, a Salvation Army Media Relations Director, went on public radio hosted by journalist Serena Ryan, to discuss a recent call by LGBTQ parents for a boycott of the nonprofit for its anti-gay policies and beliefs.

Ryan questioned Craibe about Salvation Story: Salvationist Handbook of Doctrine, the manual used to train Salvation sa1Army “soldiers” and members. Several chapters refer to the sin of homosexuality, including a section that cites Romans 1:18-32, which includes a admonition that homosexuals “deserved to die”;

More at source: Salvation Army says “Gays Need to Be Put to Death” – TGV News

2. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is simply not true. The Salvation Army has nothing but love and compassion towards all people regardless of any race, creed, language, or sexuality. It's true they don't, like many churches, don't support the lifestyle they don't hate gays or wish that they be, "put to death". Having one person say something and believe it for the whole organization is the same as saying that all Muslims are terriorists, which we know isn't true.

Please see this link : The Salvation Army Massachusetts Division: Debunking the LGBT Discrimination Myth

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Question: Why include in your handbook the Romans text from The Bible, which indicates that God insists that homosexuals deserve to die?

This is a misunderstanding of the text referred to. The Scripture in question, viewed in its broader context, is not referring to physical death, nor is it specifically targeted at homosexual behaviour. The author is arguing that no human being is without sin, all sin leads to spiritual death (separation from God), and all people therefore need a Saviour.

Read more at snopes.com: Salvation Army Says 'Gays Need to Be Put to Death'?

Yeah, sure. Not persecuting gays at all.

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2013 at 02:18 PM ----------

Did you just say that being gay is a "lifestyle???"

4. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's just...wrong.

5. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like I said that was one person's comments and not the view supported by the whole organization. I only used "lifestyle" because that is what they see it as. Not my personal view

6. Beware Of You

My Grandparents were salvationists and they wouldn't say such a thing, although maybe in the UK things are different.

So I don't mind giving them money at least they do some good with it, okay they are not perfect but they do help really poor people.

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've worked with the SA before. As tommyj says, quotes, and links, their purpose is helping those in need, and don't really care about much else. I've interfaced with their disaster services branch, which primarily exists to feed those affected by major disasters. I've also seen some of the work of their Harbor Light program, where they provide shelter, and help rehabilitate and provide some job skills to criminals who have served their time.

8. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand that a lot of great and wonderful people, nondiscriminatory people who work and do a lot of good at the salvation army. But it really is the leadership that matters. As long as the leadership of the organization touts such things they will foster and give a comfortable home to those willing to discriminate. I believe a boycott is appropriate. There other organizations that do a lot of good as well and deserve my money. And if the good folks who work for the salvation army learn the issues they may decide to stay and fight for change or move onto a more inclusive group. The salvation army has a good hand. I would like to openly protest the salvation army at a busy store entrance but they are such a sign of holiday giving I think the point would be lost on many.

9. Amerigo

salvation army needs to be put to bed, quite frankly

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. Skyline

In regards to that picture. If I saw a sign like that, I'd probably take my quarter, show it to them, then throw it across the parking lot.

12. justjade

I would pull out a big bill, like a $50, and start to put it in the bucket and then withdraw it and say, "Oh, wait, I just read your sign. Never mind," and walk away.

13. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That sign is not a Salvation Army sign... It's something that somebody else made up.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say boycott them, and support another group.

They're not the only ones out there, helping the poor; it's easy enough to donate to other organizations, or engage in your own form of charitable activity.

15. Skyline

Good one! :lol:

I figured that out. I couldn't resist commenting on it though :grin:

16. GirlWhoWaited

Romans 1:18-32 is a widely disputed passage, and one that is often taken out of context by many churches. In regards to Salvation Army, they aren't my charity of choice (I prefer to donate directly to food banks and homeless shelters), but so long as they help everybody equally, I'm not going to condemn them too much. I might disagree with their interpretation of scripture, but I agree with helping the needy.

17. Hexagon

See, this is why they don't get my clothes. I have some clothes I need to give away, so I'll find somewhere more deserving.

18. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why give my money to a group that hates or "disagrees" with anyones "lifestyle"? I would rather give it to a charity that doesn't judge.

19. J Snow

Whenever I see a Salvation Army group asking for money I want to hold my own sign advertising that they are basically a hate group.

20. yeah, they may have changed their policies a bit in the past couple of years, but I saw with my own eyes a page on the salvation army's site citing biblical passages and talking about how human sexuality is for heterosexual married couples. the page no longer exists and there is now an LGBT statement page saying that I'm wrong to believe this. but the page about heterosexual marriage only was there.

EDIT: if you look in the web archives here, you can see that the position statements used to be there, but apparently the archive doesn't contain the material that used to be in the box next to the sections. which is a shame because it would have proved that they have been homophobic, transphobic bigots for longer than they've been touting their new view about serving everyone no matter what.

the suspicion is enough. I won't risk giving money to somewhere that would turn people I love or people like me away in times of need. I can't do it.
    regardless of what their website says now, I'm not ready to give a damn nickel to them or anyone else with stories like that circulating. there are plenty of places to give that are not in the least bit problematic in their dealings with the queer community. So those places are where my money is going this holiday season and any other time I can spare it.

#20 thedreamwatch, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013