1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Girl fights apple over "Definition of Gay"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lunarchy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Lunarchy

Article source

Firstly, I would like to say "Hiyo Everyone!" ^)^

Now, down to business! I completely DISAGREE with the battle this girl has chosen. In the apple dictionary, one of the definitions for "Gay" is "Foolish, or stupid."

I can see how someone could see this as "gay people are stupid," but I for one see it as a very accurate definition, because that's how many people use it. Why does "gay" have to refer to homosexuals? I mean, how often do people use the term "Well that was gay" or "This is gay," without the context having anything to do with homosexuality?

A more accurate definition for the term "gay" would probably be uncool, and honestly I don't see anything homophobic about that other than the origin. I know plenty of people, some of my close friends who would say "this is my gay friend Anna, she's awesome!" and then later say "Let's not go bowling, it's gay!"

I'm not trying to debate whether or not to use the word "gay," I'm simply saying that it's a fact people use it as a synonym for "uncool." Why does that have to be associated with the gay community? Why can't we just let it be a homonym, and choose more important battles, mostly against the people who want to kill us!!!

Sorry for the rant, I just rather like the idea of the negative usage for the word "gay" not to having anything to do with homosexuality.

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Nope, not here. People mean the homosexual meaning of it, but not all of them are against, which makes no sense. Over here, anyway. I asked why myself, and they said because whatever they're talking about is as uncool or stupid as gay people. But I like the usage not to mean anything to do with homosexuality, as anyone here.

3. Sarcastic Luck

It's a bit amusing since "gay" used to mean "happy" or "jovial".

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Words are important. I can assure you people don't disassociate names.

In the words of a comedian whose name I can't recall; "you should stop being so black about it and Jew off!"

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, I totally agree.

6. Lunarchy

What I'm saying is that people will use the term "Gay" either way, why attack apple for trying to disassociate it?

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People are going to use words the way they want, obviously.

The point is that "gay" as a synonym for stupid IS a homophobic slur, like it or not. Nothing wrong with entering it in a dictionary (since they are updated to reflect current usage of words, or new words) but it should be also noted for what it is.

Would you approve of, for example, a dictionary entry for the word "Bitch" with a definition of "Other word for woman" without a qualifier of "derogatory term used to refer to women" ? Same thing really...

8. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't find that offensive. People that write dictionaries are generally of the understanding that they are making a record of the way that words are used, not how they should be used.

That was Simon Amstell on 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' . I have the urge to repeat it on many occasions.

9. Lunarchy

Words loose their meanings over usage and time, and the usage of the word "gay" as meaning "uncool" has become so wide spread that it hardly even refers to us anymore, and one day may not refer to the homosexual community at all anymore. If we just let it mean "uncool" than eventually that's what it will become, but if we become bothered by it, than it just becomes another derogatory term for the enemies of the gay community to use against us.

I just feel that arguing the meaning of a word is hardly a good use of our time. I don't really like game of thrones that much, but this is one of the best quotes I've ever heard:

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
    -George RR Martin.

I'm gay, I like members of my same gender, that is one of a million words I can use to describe myself, so what if that one word becomes a synonym for uncool?

10. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    By not adding a "derogatory" comment, the Apple dictionary was normalizing, not disassociating its use.

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

11. Lunarchy

It's fine not to agree with me on this one, it's more of a "means" conversation anyway, we all want the same end. I understand where everyone is coming from, and if it's really that offensive, than perhaps the protest is a good idea, I just didn't find it that offensive.

12. All41

I'm fine with the definition. I think deragatory should be added to that definition though

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fact is, lexicographers (the people who are writing the dictionaries) must stay true to the actual usage of the word in reality, even if there are unsavory definitions of the word. It would be wrong in terms of hiding the truth to remove a meaning of a word that is still being widely used in modern society. Also, if you read the real definition, as I just did on my Mac, it specifically says : informal, often offensive foolish, stupid, or unimpressive. Adding the "often offensive" part is important.

Also, I have heard multiple people use "that's gay" for something completely unrelated to homosexuality. Still, it's offensive to me, but they are not always using it in a sexual way.

#13 resu, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Am I the only one who thought she was fighting with a literal apple at first?
    Personally, I agree with Resu here. Hiding the truth is wrong in this case.
    Besides, the word and its current connotation is still going to be used all across most of America. It's futile to try stopping it.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is though, using it in that way is inherently offensive. It's like including an entry for "niggerish" meaning some negative attribute once used for black people now "dissociated" from them and moved into general use. Nuh uh, doesn't work like that. I'm using an imaginary example here, but if it were widely used, it just means everyone who uses it is a class-A dick. No amount of popularity makes a wrong choice into a right one.

16. photoguy93

Why can't they just add "slang" to it, or pull an "urban dictionary" kind of thing. That would save time, money, resources, and the sanity of people who have to keep seeing this stuff.

17. blueberrymuffin

Really now, if people can't find other ways to express themselves without potentially horribly offending a minority group, i don't want anything to do with them. That's all on them.

18. Foxface

yeah I'm going to have to go with this. I'm sorry, popular or not doesn't dissociate just because the user wants it too.

If I said the N-word and then said "no big deal, it just means ____ now. It's ok!"

Not how it works

Foxface

19. Tim

Tim

I vote we all start using apple when describing something stupid.

After all, if enough people use it, it becomes the actual definition of the word, right?

That's not apple at all.

20. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    well, i dont know... i have a lesbian friend and she sometimes says "that is so gay"...but also she says " im gay"...in one case gay means stupid in the other it means homosexual...there is something called 'context'....

is like the difference between "this is shit" vs "this is The shit"...or like when you say "i ate her"" you are not confessing you commited canibalism :lol:

.....buuuuuuuut.... still i think is good idea to never use 'that is so gay' with people you dont know, because even if you are not homophobic, and regardless of how you are using the word gay or how you think people should not get offended...some people are going to be offended so you shouldnt do it... i mean some times people with darker skin tone call me 'f*cking nigg* and because we are friend and i understand the context and know the person i wont get offended...but i would never call a random stranger 'f*ckng nigg*...

... or for example there are words in spanish with might be a perfectly normal word but in another spanish-speaking country the same word have a different meaning ...for example in my country 'coger' means 'to grab' or 'to ride' or 'to answer(the phone)while in argentina it means 'to fuck' so ' i answered the phone' might become 'i banged the phone' :lol:....so as much as 'coger' means to me 'to grab' i wont use it in the wrong place, cause i dont want to offend people/get misinterpratated.

the same happens with the word gay..you can use it, but be careful.