1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Same-sex marriage bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by confeshhhions, Nov 18, 2013.

1. confeshhhions

Scotland's MSPs/MPs vote on Stage 1 of the Equal Marriage bill on Wednesday! Let's hope they all make the right decision.

2. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope this all goes well! If it does go through, then I guess the UK will be a little less... *puts on shades* off-KILTer.

3. confeshhhions

Hahaha, nice!

4. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    :lol:

Stage one's an improvement. I hope it goes well!

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Majority of MSPs publicly back it, village idiot Keith O'Brian is disgraced, Brian Souter hasn't tried to organise a private referendum about it and various traditional marriage advocates from the States can't find Scotland on the map or are barred from entering the country (please stop trying Westboro Baptist)

It's in the bag.

EDIT: If anyone fancies a look at the text - http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/parliamentarybusiness/Bills/64983.aspx

The only stumbling block is what protections will be given to those that don't want to conduct the ceremonies. The plan supposedly is going to be an opt in system which I believe a lot of people on the pro side are perfectly happy with.

#5 GeeLee, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    #6 GeeLee, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. confeshhhions

Thankfully they've provided a fair strike to everyone! Should never be a debate, but thankfully the majority voted right.

8. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sat and watched the debate and the majority of the speeches were good and positive, with a few notable exceptions (John Mason, Margaret whatever-her-name-is). Don't think there's any doubt that it'll go through but I also worry about what protections will be given and it always annoys me when people claim they can't be called homophobic for being, erm, homophobic!

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can someone explain how a bill becomes a law in Scotland? I could tell you all the steps in the American system, but I don't know a thing about Scottish politics.

10. Hexagon

If its anything like it was in england, slowly.

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Parliament has you covered - Legislative process - Visit & Learn :  Scottish Parliament

There's also stuff in there about devolved and reserved matters.

12. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a great link to explain it in a simple way.

The main issues that'll be discussed more around this Bill are likely to be the removal of the spousal veto for gender reassignment (where a husband/wife can basically say no - this was kept in the England and Wales Act) and 'protections' which some want to see so a church / minister's right not to opt in to same sex marriages can't be challenged legally.

If it's agreed at the third reading then there's a four week period where certain people can make legal challenges before it becomes law. This is more for people claiming that the Scottish Parliament doesn't have the power to decide on a matter (something like if we go to war is still decided by UK Parliament at Westminster for example) so it's not that those against can challenge it on principle.

Think at the moment we're expecting all this to finish late January / early Feb. There's some reports at the moment that the England and Wales Bill that was voted through in July hasn't been implemented yet because they're waiting for Scotland to catch up - and hope to have all the first weddings happening together summer next year. Think that's a bit optimistic for Scotland. Unlikely they'll start happening before 2015. Which could be an issue if the Independence Referendum (from the rest of the UK) is won next year. Whole other issue though!