1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News US and UK struck secret deal to allow NSA to 'unmask' Britons' personal data

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So it turns out the US have had access to mine and every other Briton's personal data since 2007 even when we haven't done a thing wrong

US and UK struck secret deal to allow NSA to 'unmask' Britons' personal data | World news | The Guardian

2. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So now the military knows I'm trans. Do you think they'd come out to all my friends for me? It'd remove a lot of hassle for me.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What creeps me out is that the NSA compound is about 20 minutes from here...

*shivers*

4. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Do they actually look through EVERYONE'S files? I mean, there are so many people living just in the UK, and they all probably generate hundreds of millions of communication material (phone calls, e-mails etc.) DAILY, that it would likely take years to go through it all.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With supercomputers programmed to recognize certain patterns...well it's faster than Google...as for Google, any company that has as its motto: "Don't be Evil" makes me nervous...

6. Minamimoto_Fan

I just don't understand the NSA's motive. The UK is our ally, Germany is our ally, France is our ally, WHY do we need to have information on them? WHo else are we listening to? There's just no reason...

I just do not understand the NSA's motives >:/

7. Harve

Could you go for a walk over there and tell me what I was doing on 11th January 2006 please? Ta x

The spying doesn't really bother me; I've got nothing to hide and whilst others may say the 'nothing to hide' excuse has fallacies in it, I've yet to buy one. I'd rather they be transparent about exactly what they're spying on, yanno, just to prove they've got nothing to hide too. It's only fair.

The US covertly spying on EU institutions, when the EU are their own allies was fucked up though.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly agree, but if the "nothing to hide" thing were true, the government of the US wouldn't be so frightened of leaks.

9. Erishkigal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Nixon was impeached for wiretapping a hotel and now Bush and Obama has wiretapped us all?

One can only speculate what they can do with all our personal information with their various super-computers.

10. Hexagon

That depends on the government being 100% trustworthy with the data, and only using it to apprehend terrorists. There are many, many ways they could use the data for other purposes. I've never had much faith in the integrity of government, for reasons I don't think I need to explain. Furthermore, the issues aren't to do with having nothing to hide, but to do with the right to privacy. Government has no right to decide that just because citizens are law-abiding, that their privacy doesn't matter.