1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News gay marriage equality hits wall.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Stridenttube, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Skyline

The comments hurt my eyes.
    I think they gave me cancer.

2. Ticklish Fish

Since when having a God make humans less animal?

So just because we don't have the science yet, it's a choice? Am I reading this argument right?
    So just because there's no definite science for God or not, religion is a choice?

(Im sorry to anyone who's religious on EC, but like, the comments on that site, I just.)

shake my fucking head. I bet "love the sinner hate the sin" don't apply to other kinds of sin. Aren't you surprised that it's only used for anti-queer arguments? Not for like, divorce or drunk?

Okay, I'll stop quoting comments.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I thought there was absolute separation of church and state in the States? If so why are people advocating for a conservative interpretation of the Bible to be enforced by the state?

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tbf at least the homophobes are challenged in these comments.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's absolutely disgusting that mainstream Christianity has nothing but hate for us and tons of other groups of people, such as atheists, Muslims, at one time Jews, and then have the audacity to run around screaming that they're the ones being persecuted.

6. This is why I'll never move to the US.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They sound like my mom who yells it doesn't hurt heterosexual marriage and i think in my head so you don't want marriage to be about love but about the types of swimsuits you wear .

8. DMark69

"That leaves Wyoming as the only state that doesn’t permit same-sex marriage, doesn’t outlaw it by a voter-passed constitutional amendment and isn’t embroiled in a lawsuit over the issue."

Hmmm, wonder if we are slaking...

In all fairness thought there has been a lawsuit in Wyoming. A couple of lesbians who married in Canada sued to get a divorce in Wyoming. Our state defines marriage as between a man and a woman, but also says it will recognize ALL marriages performed in ALL other Jurisdictions. Case was Christiansen v Christiansen, and we won. The Wyoming Supreme Court ruled that the state must recognize their marriage for the purpose of granting a divorce.

Maybe someone should file a lawsuit here, it might win...

9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks a lot, homophobes.

10. blueberrymuffin

The massive persecution complex by a group of religious zealots that has not been deprived of any rights, and never will be, is pathetic indeed. It hasn't really hit a wall anyway, more like the calm before the storm. Just because the government in 35 states is too useless to do anything, the courts and ballots will take care of it from here.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to believe this paper is still around, as it's always been a huge joke, fronted by a cult, The Moonies, or The Moon Unification Church. Even conservatives here don't take this rag seriously.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The states that have some sort of recognition not called marriage are ripe for court cases since they won't get federal equality and NM and OR seem to be good targets so we're not at a wall yet. The pro-discrimination comments are the typical nonsense without any substance that will stand up in court just like the cases we've won. They're mad and getting crazier by the week. They can put blinders on or put their head in the sand, but marriage equality will prevail. :thumbsup:

13. bdman

one more state to go for 2013 - New Mexico through the courts expected to rule before the end of the year.

The next handful of states are targeting 2016 some through ballot initiative.

14. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update on Indiana and the Constitutional Amendment.

For those who are unaware how changes are made to the state constitution gets amended here, we have one of the most difficult amendment processes in the country.

1. Both houses of the legislature must vote the amendment through by simple majority.
    2. The politicians must wait for a general election to occur to give the public the chance to vote out anyone they are upset with for voting for/against the amendment.
    3. The amendment must then be voted through in that next session after the election with the EXACT SAME WORDING.
    4. The amendment then must be ratified by a majority vote of the citizens of the state in the next general election.

This means the earliest the amendment could be put on the ballot is November 2014.

It was just announced yesterday that the Republicans are strongly considering rewriting the amendment because almost 2/3 of the state electorate find the proposed amendment too draconian. The amendment bans all forms of government recognition of same sex relationships including marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships. Hoosiers are currently equally divided on whether Indiana should legalize same sex marriage though.

The Republican leaders in the House want to try to tweak the wording so it only bans gay marriage and still try to get it on the ballot for 2014.

The Republican leaders in the Senate say they have researched their options with their legislative lawyers, and believe there is almost no chance the "tweak and put on the ballot in 2014" strategy will hold up in the state court system. It clearly violates the state constitution's amendment rules. Therefore, it is unconstitutional.

The tweak option is the Republicans trying to find a middle road between their social conservative base and not losing the independents in the state that have given them their current supermajority.

I think they will tweak out of fear of a backlash and the soonest it will be on the ballot is 2016. Public opinion on same sex marriage in the state will have shifted even further towards acceptance by then as the old guard dies off.

We will also hopefully have a US Supreme Court ruling that declares all discriminatory amendments in state constitutions unconstitutional.

I REALLY like our odds of keeping discrimination out of the state constitution in 2016. I worry that the Republicans might be able to rally their base enough to get out and vote in the non-presidential general election in 2014 to get it passed. Pushing the public vote back to 2016 when we will have a more truly representative voter turnout is hands down the better option.

15. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If only the the federal politicians honored the constitution and listened to the people. Oh how wonderful life would be

16. blueberrymuffin

I actually want it on the ballot in Indiana so they get a humiliating defeat in a decidedly red state.

17. chrisV

i just died laughing when i saw this comment:

"If God didn't want you playing with your prostate, it wouldn't feel so good."

best argument ever.

18. Mzansi

Such a wall is only natural,
    Since the US held back for so many years(Even in the very liberal states),
    Such a flood of recognition and allowing of same-sex marriage is to be expected,
    And the subsequent drying up of support too,
    Now that the more liberal states have passed the laws,
    The most conservative ones are the only ones left behind,
    And with their backwards mentality,
    It's going to take time for the demographics to change to usher in any sort of nationwide change in marriage policy!

Best of luck to the Americans fighting for the right to marry!