1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Myrtle Grove Christian School wants to ban LGBT Families

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Myrtle Grove Christian School Institutes 'Biblical Morality Policy,' Wants To Ban LGBT Families

SHOCKER lol

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a private school they can have such a crazy policy, but I hope there's a way to prohibit the vouchers. In states with GLBT inclusive non-discrimination laws no organization should be eligible for school vouchers or other public money. Of course they would say we were "forced" to close, if they were to, because of the gays (like Catholic adoption), when in fact they chose to close because they didn't get their way, boohoo.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I assume this school receives no funding whatsoever from the government?

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the point of "School Vouchers." Under the guise of "Freedom of Choice," conservative lawmakers are funneling tax dollars to private Christian schools by giving parents a voucher for the amount of money in taxes per child they have, to their schooling, to be applied to tuition at a private Christian school.

5. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, let me go over this again...

If I was straight but my cousin was a lesbian, I wouldn't be allowed to go to this school?

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Nope, you could be a carrier of the transferable gay virus/gene/curse etc.

7. Erishkigal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So they would bar all of Dick Cheney's grandsons and daughters?

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's like they read up on North Korea and decided that their three generations punishment was a great idea.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've often wondered if there might be a Supreme Court case here, based on separation of church and state, sometime in the future...hopefully when we have a more liberal court.

Because this does for all intents and purposes violate that the the US shall not promote the establishment of a religion. People trying to brainwash kinds into this kind of extreme religious dogma, using public funded 'church' schools as one of their tools seems to me an an egregious abuse of constitutional principle.

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Why would any sensible person want to study at a Christian school?

11. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's like they completely forgot about gay Christians... Oh, wait, they did.
    Homophobes sure love to quote the Bible out of context.

12. blueberrymuffin

Probably every extended family has someone LGBT, whether they know it or not. Just shows the height of supreme ignorance of this so-called school. These haters attempt to kill off any speech in support of homosexuality because they know they are losing.

Supreme Court needs to do its job and enforce separation of church and state by outlawing vouchers, tax free land and income to all religious entities.

13. well extremist religion =/= sensible

these people are like those I grew up with - you have to do it exactly like they say or you are hell bound

they seem pretty extreme

14. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Isn't that the point of religion?

15. Silver Sparrow

I wish the school didn't get any public funding...

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The national backlash comes on the heels of a Bronx Catholic school postponing a talk scheduled to be given by a controversial speaker, referred to as a "pray the gay away" proponent, whose organization allegedly attempts to "cure" gay and lesbian individuals through a 12-step program.

As for Myrtle Grove, I can sort of see it. They are seeing "red." As for The Bronx, I find it hard to believe that a Catholic school within NYC would invite such a speaker. The Protestants have shut down Exodus. The RCC needs to do the same with any similar effort. But NYC, as in blue NYC? If the guy had actually shown up to The Bronx, he could have expected some serious discord, even among the audience. New Yorkers are not easy customers, and he would have gotten an earful.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  18. flymetothemoon

I don't really think this is fair. I spent 13 years of my life at a Catholic school, and when given the choice to stay there or go to public school, I chose to stay there because I felt it was the best place for me at the time. My school didn't have any policies that were anywhere near this crazy, and I might not have chosen to stay had they implemented something like this, but I don't think it's fair at all to say that no sensible person would ever choose to study at a Christian school. Additionally, just because THIS Christian school is the farthest thing from actually Christianity doesn't meant that ALL Christian schools are bad places. Some might actually embrace the teaching of loving and respecting all people.

19. ChloeAllison

I agree. As a survivor of a Private Irish Catholic Girls Boarding School I can fully say that I got the best education I could ask for. Going to a Catholic school allowed me access to classes I wouldn't have in public school, all my teachers were amazing and the facilities for sports were wonderful. Basically, Catholic schools = higher funding. Even if Catholic school = me not being able to be out in Senior school (sort of informal don't ask= don't tell law existed in our school), I would still make the same choice again. I got an amazing education and made some awesome friends :slight_smile:

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Catholic schools tend to be WAY more liberal than Christian schools, and especially in big cities. The whole vibe is DADT. If someone is thought to be GLBT, and harassed, it's because of how they resonate with particular students, which is about chemistry and unfortunate, and not because of anything the school puts forth. Today, I think they'd do something about it. In the past, I don't think people would come forth. At any rate, I'm surprised that Cardinal Spellman HS in The Bronx would invite such an archaic priest to speak. I hope it's just outright cancelled, rather than postponed.