1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News HIV virus is still evolving

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aquilo, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Aquilo

Scientists find aggressive new strain of HIV

Of course everything that's alive evolves, but it might be useful to know that as long HIV exists it can mutate and combine with other HIV strains into more dangerous variations. (Another reason to still have safe sex if you have HIV, you can be responsible for creating more dangerous combinations of HIV and be infected with another more dangerous type of HIV apart from the reason that it's immoral to infect other people).

2. Tim

Tim

Erm... this isn't really new.

One of the reasons a way to stop infection, etc. hasn't been found is because of how fast it evolves.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's also why we get tests done about every year.

4. YOLO4me

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On another note about a week ago I was talking to a colleague about how many subsidized housing programs are available for people who are HIV pos. I had commented how bad affordable housing was in NY and since that HIV programs were still heavily funded, I could see desperate people infecting themselves with the virus. Sure enough I saw a news segment on cnn saying just that was happening in different areas in the world.

A lot of money started flowing since the mass outbreaks in the 80's, scary to think people may be intentionally putting themselves through this.

5. Mzansi

Given many peoples situations,
    And the rise in good care for such viruses(Such as the discovery that people with HIV and on proper care can live to the same life span as a person who is uninfected),
    It's sadly not a shock

6. Hexagon

The main risk is that a strain will evolve that is resistant to the anti-retroviral drugs. This particular strain, since it is still treatable by said drugs, isn't a massive problem (except in terms of access to treatment).

7. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Viruses aren't really considered "alive." They lack some of the mandatory characteristics necessary to be qualify as "living beings."

8. Hexagon

Well, its a grey area. They still reproduce inside host cells. But no one is denying that they do evolve. Its just not really a new idea that HIV is mutating.