1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Heteronormative marriage referendum in Croatia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dalmatian, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dalmatian

Today (1st of December) a referendum is being held in Croatia, the newest member of the European Union, on the question "Are you for the motion that marriage be constitutionally defined as a life partnership between a woman and a man?".

The referendum initiators are the citizens themselves. This means that over 10% of people (almost 20% actually) signed an official petition to organize the referendum. The petition itself was organized by a Catholic-backed conservative movement named "U ime obitelji" (en. "In the name of family").

"U ime obitelji" initially reasoned that the need to define marriage in the Constitution is purely traditional and that it promotes positive cultural heritage while it doesn't deny any rights to anyone or promotes any kind of discrimination. Towards the end of the pre-voting campaign they became more open and have additionally openly explained that their cause is to "for a substantial time prevent any irresponsible government to jeopardize the sanctity of marriage by giving the rights to gay couples". One of the slogans was also "Marriage = woman + man; all the rest is something else".

"U ime obitelji" are backed by the Catholic, Orthodox, several Protestant, Muslim and Jewish churches. They are also backed by many far-right political parties, but also by the largest oppositional party, HDZ. The Catholic church bishops have issued calls to all their members (officially almost 80% of the population) to vote for the motion.
    Many intellectuals, artists, human rights organizations and all the left wing parties oppose the motion. The president of the republic, as well as the prime minister (all from the left) and the whole government openly oppose it as well.

The motion is expected to pass by some 65:35 margin (not a margin really).
    The definition, once entered into the Constitution in this way (by direct decision by the people), can only be changed in another referendum.

2. Dalmatian

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, just wow...It seems that ignorance and prejudice has found a niche in Croatia. I sense there may be some political risk here as well for the party in power.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Listening to the churches you'd think all families would immediately fall apart if equal marriage was brought in.

5. Formality

This makes me furious!:tantrum: How can they leave this up to the people to decide? What some catholic god-:***:ers thinks about homosexuals has nothing to do with our rights as human beings! It's ridiculousness is comparable to for example "having a public election to decide wether it should be legal or not for old people to wear green sweaters". It's personal matters that none other than WE as humans should get to decide for OURSELVES! It's none of "their" business!
    Stoopidstoopidstoopid! :bang:

An even better example is like saying someone can't marry because they have blue eyes and their partner brown. We were born gay and "you" were born straight. Not any different from being born with a certain eye-colour.

#5 Formality, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As I've said before some people whole heartedly believe that they have a God given right to be bigoted and to have that bigotry enshrined in law.

7. Dalmatian

The votes have been cast and mostly counted.

The official results with almost all the votes counted (99.88%) are:
    65.83% for the motion
    33.55% against

After a short period for technicalities, the marriage definition will be officially a part of the Constitution. The Republic of Croatia now constitutionally states: "Marriage is a life partnership of a woman and a man".

BBC Yahoo Reuters

And for the first time in my life, I can't even pretend that at least the look and feel of the highest values of my country recognize me for who I am :frowning2:

#7 Dalmatian, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  8. Spitfire71

I don't have any knowledge on Croatia's system, but I found it interesting (and confusing) that the president and prime minister, and 'the whole government' are "left"... yet the majority of the people seem to hold more religious "right" ideals? :confused: How did that happen?

It's a sucky outcome in my opinion. Even more so since it was a vote put to the people (so you can't even blame "crappy congressmen"). That's how democracies work though. :frowning2: One can only hope the next generations can swing a 65:35 in this amendment's removal.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry for you Dalmatian, what was a difficult way to live in your country has become even tougher. Not all battles can be won, only time will tell if this "victory" will last or be seen as a huge mistake...it could take decades to change things.

It's up to all of us to live as openly as possible in our own countries where being able to marry whom we please is a right. The more of us there are, the more it will be obvious that the sky hasn't fallen. And the more that this is seen, the more archaic and stupid this amendment will look.

My thoughts are with you, Dalmatian, all the best.

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Prejudice and ignorance are the standard in Eastern Europe.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2013 at 09:10 PM ----------

This is just another case that proves that the Catholic Church is evil and the Pope is full of it.