1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Truvada Can Reduce Risk of HIV in Gay Men by 99%!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Dec 1, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More here: The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it? | Out Magazine

If this pill can really reduce HIV risk by 99%, a lot more people should be taking it. This would be considered a breakthrough pill if people would use it. But even still if you take the pill, be safe.

2. starfish

Ummm as a doctor he should know there are STDs other than HIV he needs to worry about.

3. LD579

That is an excellent point... and something that people hopefully do not forget.

I just read this article here, which may also be worth a read. Of note, it says:
    So in that light, a combination of caution, and several prevention methods, should be enough to render the risk nearly obsolete if one were vigilant about this.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is indeed an important breakthrough, and should definitely be used by the HIV-negative partner in sero-discordant couples (where the other of the two is HIV-positive) in combination with condoms.

It is not a cheap drug by any means, and its use should be considered in the context of possible long-term side effects, but if it's on the market already, there probably does not appear to be any significant safety signals.

More to the OP's point however, condom use is still strongly recommended.

5. photoguy93

This scares me IF DONE IN THE WRONG MANNER.
    99% is still not 100. I worry that people will see this as an easy ticket out. "Oh, I took the pill. Who cares if I have guys not use condoms? I'm protected!"

I believe I heard of this as being used for partners of positive patients? Could be wrong, but that seems really useful. So, if we still work on safe sex practices and get people to use condoms and use this as an EXTRA precaution, then we will be much better off.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yikes, I was reading that a month's supply, or one pill a day costs US $1,200. That's $40 per pill, per day. Not to mention frequent visits to the Dr.

I guess if you have good insurance, maybe...though so many people in the US don't, and could never afford something like this. All the medical advances on earth are no good to you, unless you can access them.

7. alwayshope11

Some of the people quoted in that article just sound like morons...