1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Wisconsin senator wants conversion therapy ban for minors

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Dec 2, 2013.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Risser wants to ban gay conversion therapy

Personally I can't understand why there isn't a nationwide ban on parents forcing minors to have conversion therapy. I find it hard to believe with all that's known about the practice and the APA position that it's still legal in most states. The religious argument is nonsense, as the courts have generally upheld laws designed to protect minors from harm trump religious concerns. Freedom of religion shouldn't be a legal excuse to harm a child.

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because religion has money and influence. That's why there's no ban and probably never will be.

3. biggayguy

Until more people see it as being as barbaric as shock therapy and lobotomies it will not be banned. Plus there are a lot of red state congress members elected with religious money.

4. so thankful to live in a blue state (!)

been through that and it is awful - it needs banning everywhere

5. yidnah87

Unfortunately Wisconsin currently isn't conducive to this type of legislation. Too many republicans.

6. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*) I agree completely. My first girlfriend went through that and it was awful for her too. I felt so bad for her, like it was my fault she went through that, but there wasn't anything I could do. I just hope no one else has to be forced to go through that crap.

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

With all due respect, shock therapy is neither barbaric nor immoral. It is quite effective against depression, is painless, and is about as dangerous as being put under anesthesia. It is a perfectly valid medical treatment, and it doesn't deserve to be used as an example of why something else is bad. To do so is incorrect, and puts a hole in your argument for your opponent to exploit.

#7 Necromancer, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013

8. shock therapy was used often to stop people from being homosexual often in the 40' & 50's

even into the 60's - I believe this is the reference, there are still places where we have forced sterilizations all the way up to I think past 2000

so we can speak to barbarism in this way

9. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Like sldanlm mentioned, Freedom of Religion is not a legally accepted justification for child abuse or neglect. Some people believe that prayer works, but that medicine doesn't, but when this leads to children's deaths, the parents are charged with child abuse (or neglect, or something similar). Forcing a minor to go to conversion therapy is quite the same.

One does not have the legal right to fuck up one's child(ren), not even on religious grounds, so I think it is likely that we'll see this sort of ban approved in nearly all states, if not from the Federal level. Of course, they won't be banned quickly enough, and it will still go on under the radar, but I'm certain that it will be banned.

The problem is, because conversion therapy has strong and wealthy religious backers, it will go slowly; apparently preventing them from doing serious and possibly irreversible harm to their children is an assault on religious freedom.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Past wrongs in applying the treatment don't make it stop being an effective treatment. Calling it barbaric suggests it is, when the problem was not the treatment itself.

11. catboy

So right. :soapbox: Preach it! I think that conversion therapy shouldn't be outlawed but minors should have to give consent not just their parents.