1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Obese man attacks boyfriend and his trans girlfriend at Mcdonalds

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AtheistWorld, Dec 2, 2013.

1. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-greenwich-village-mcdonald-article-1.1164580

Man defending his transgender girlfriend slashed by 350-pound man at Greenwich Village McDonald’s

A McDonald’s in Greenwich Village, notorious for previous acts of violence, was the scene of yet another attack when A 350-pound man used gay slurs to berate a 24-year-old then used a razor to slash the victim across the face and neck.

A 350-pound brute hurled slurs at a gay man and his transgender girlfriend and then whipped out a razor and slashed one of them at a crime-plagued McDonald’s in Greenwich Village, police said.

Jamar McLeod, 24, said he and his girlfriend, Jalisa “JoJo” Griffen had just picked up her hormone medicine Wednesday night and were headed back to their apartment in Bushwick when they ducked into the fast food joint on W. Third St. to use the bathroom.

McLeod, who is 5-foot-6 and 170 pounds, was holding hands with Griffen, who was wearing a tight-fitting pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt. The suspect, who was waiting for his cheeseburger around 7 p.m., apparently overheard them talking about gay bashing.

The conversation we were having was already about trouble in the gay community — how many of our friends got jumped just for being gay,” McLeod said.

Their attacker likely wouldn’t have realized Griffen was transgender if they had been discussing a different topic, McLeod said.

The conversation we were having was already about trouble in the gay community — how many of our friends got jumped just for being gay,” McLeod said.

Their attacker likely wouldn’t have realized Griffen was transgender if they had been discussing a different topic, McLeod said.

The first slash cut McLeod in the elbow as he tried to block the blade. The second got him in the neck — the third across the face.

“When I felt the blood I backed off. I started cursing, saying, ‘You’re bigger than me! You should feel embarrassed! You didn’t need to cut me in a regular fight!’” McLeod said.

Griffen convinced McLeod to wait for the ambulance that would take him to Bellevue Hospital, and to talk to the police. Griffen also persuaded her boyfriend to speak out about the bloody crime — in the hopes of catching the cretin and spreading the word against prejudice.

“If this is my way of life I should be able to voice my opinion about it,” McLeod said. “I love her. And it is the right thing to do.”

Last year he completed a four-year sentence in prison for armed robbery. After his release, he came out to some of his relatives. Though his mother’s family is accepting of his homosexuality, he said his father knows nothing about it.

“He’s Jamaican. When the news gets out he will know — that’s kind of scary,” McLeod said.

The wild brawl, which is being investigated as a hate crime, is only the latest incident at the troubled McDonald’s.

In March, a YouTube video captured a five-man donnybrook outside the same location. In October, a McDonald’s employee used a pipe to beat two women who ran around the cashier’s counter and attacked him. The worker was arrested but later cleared by a grand jury. The women pleaded guilty last week.

In March 2011, 26-year-old Damian Furtch was attacked and badly beaten at the fast-food joint by a man who didn’t like that he was wearing pink shoelaces.

Managers have increased security at the restaurant, but that generally begins around 10 p.m.

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm assuming the attacker paid with cash, or he'd already be in custody (would be easy to catch him if he paid with a card).

This is disgusting.

3. Tim

Tim

Is there a reason the article references the man's weight so many times?

4. actually - look, it is only in the article once, yes it is in each caption, but that is probably needed because each picture needed top have a title due to being transmitted everywhere so it had to have it, the weight of the other man is also mentioned, the reason is for comparison for the unfairness of the fight

this is a real bad example of intolerance isn't it.

why stick your nose in this? what business was it of his anyway?

5. Ticklish Fish

the comments on transgender people, though...

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh they can't be that ba...Oh dear God!

7. Tim

Tim

#1 Rule of the Internet: Avoid Comment Sections on News Articles Related to anything LGBT.

8. DrkRayne

Why are the homophobes coming out like crazy now. Can't they just leave us alone?

9. photoguy93

I'm sorry, but I can't help but facepalm at the way the article is written. What the heck does an obese man have do to with anything? Sure, it's fact, but why not "man wearing a black shirt with size 7 feet" ....)

Just focus on the bad. It sucks these crazies are coming out like zombies on The Walking Dead.

10. normally I ignore comments section just because I know how heineis and hateful they are, (I get trolled all the time) - it is why I don't have IM or a lot of other stuff and much of my social media is locked up tight.

but because of your comment I looked, they are blank on my computer :shrug:

11. Ticklish Fish

yeah, i know i should have avoided comments, too, but i can't resist >_>

well, nobody questions the journalist using the word "obese man"... _>

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good God, that is painfully horrible journalism.

They need a copy of The New York Times Style Guide...this reads like some cheesy tabloid, which distracts from the story at hand.

All that aside, it does seem that as the LGBT community has made advances in terms of rights, there's also been a backlash that's taken the form of violence and hate groups. The same is true of other hate groups; since Obama has been in office, the number of racist hate groups has also grown. It's sad that people in this day and age still have such anger towards others...one wonders, will it always be there?

13. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

The laughably written article and brain-meltingly ignorant comments are all worth it for the top comment:

14. Hexagon

Man with large fists punches minority group.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just can't make these things up.

16. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    As far as his weight goes, I think the reason it gets mentioned is because it gives him a major advantage (same reason professional fighters have weight classes, no?).

Perhaps the writer was using the generally negative connotations associated with obesity to paint the attacker as a physically, not just morally, disgusting individual.

17. if this story was not so sad in itself all of your guys comments would be great - you are great comedy writers