1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News controversal billboard in NY

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Dec 4, 2013.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not seeing the issue. I'm not a military man but I doubt there's a rule that says US Army members can't date or marry Muslims.

3. Spitfire71

There really isn't an issue with the relationship, though I'm certain the company is trying to drum up controversy (success) by showing an American soldier together with a Muslim woman by exploiting the whole "OMG SO UNAMERICAN!" aspect of it.

Just another day in advertising. :dry:

4. catboy

I don't know why people like to raise hell about everything. It really upsets me that people find this offensive.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see what the big deal is. In wars throughout history, people sent to distant lands have fallen in love with people of all walks of life.

What's so new and shocking about this?

6. I see the issue

you have the billboard up, and you just have the random people flaming ... look there is a Muslim on it :bang:

people don't care about what is real - they do not care what the real story is :***:

or even about the difference between Persian and Muslim :tears:

they just remember 9/11 or the fact that there is a war and hate anyone who has darker skin than they do. :dry:

I do some online stuff and it really sickens me with some of the racist stuff I see. :bang:

7. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have some german blood in me... why? World War II. My grandad met the love of his life in Germany because of the war. If war's gonna make things shit for so many people, why can't some people get out happy? People are just complaining about nothing. Classic case of "don't judge a book by its cover".

8. apostrophied

Well, how many women do you know who would want their face on an anti-snoring products ad?? :wink:

9. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have a few problems with this:
    1- If they're basing these couples on real people, then I hope they got their consent, first.
    2- This is a sleep aid. This person is talking like she expects it to be able to bring about world peace. Snoring is not a major cause of intolerance.
    3- Naturally, it really bothers me that people would be offended by the fact that some American soldiers might like Muslims.
    4- It bothers me a little that they would capitalise on a controversial relationship like this (one that raises social questions the likes of which are out of the scope of a mere sleep aid), but it's entirely unsurprising.

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also this story on a morning tv news program. The real life couple it was based on approved. I think the news story said it caused so much controversy in NY the billboard company agreed to take down the ad, so as not to offend anybody.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see where they're going with it, but it's an obvious attention-whoring maneuver. Real people, huh? What percentage of "real people" are soldiers with conservative Muslim wives? Probably not too big a number. It is purely to get people talking. Is capitalizing on the expected shock value of the picture morally justified? Maybe.

If it were a billboard about tolerance, I can understand it. We (western society) need to see that fearing/hating all Muslims is an exercise in futility. But if it's to sell a snoring gadget? I wouldn't buy it. I don't even know what it looks like!

#11 Argentwing, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Says something about society that it caused outrage in the first place.

13. method

She's... a model? I guess she must be really good at smizing...?

14. robclem21

1. I don't think they need the consent of every interracial couple to be able to do this. Based on real couples doesn't mean 2 specific people necessarily, and even so, I am sure an advertising agency would have considered this.

2. Does it matter what the product is? Is it a bad time ever to raise social issues. What if a gay/lesbian couple were featured? It is trying to advertise it as something normal and okay, not making it out to be something monstrous. The people in the ad look happy together.

3. Agree, though thats a fault of people and not of the ad itself.

4. How are they capitalizing on anything? They aren't exploiting anyone to gain benefits. Yes it is a social issue, but that doesn't necessarily relate to exploiting. All couples can be affected by snoring. As it turns out it isn't just single-race couples. Again if it was a gay couple, would you pissed that they exploit gays to gain attention or happy that a gay couple is being used in a place where a straight couple would normally be?

I think this type of ad is good because it breaks norms of what people expect to see and gets exposure to a completely normal and okay situation.

15. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't see an issue - although I can see how it's gotten criticism, especially since it's not an ad you frequently see. Also, who's to say the American soldier isn't Muslim himself? or that the woman is not American? There are Muslims serving in the American army, and there are American muslim women who wear the niqab.

16. Tim

Tim

I honestly don't see a problem with the billboard. Am I just dense? :confused:

17. DrkRayne

Um....while I do see the relevance to the product.....and do think it was just to cause a stir.

Lovely couple they put on there. I know they arent real, but I still think its cute. People need to stop lumping all Arabs and Muslims together. There are good and bad in every religion.

18. Hexagon

Guess what. PEOPLE GOT MARRIED!!!!!!!!! So terrible.

19. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. There are many pro american muslims who serve, and risk their lives fighting terrorism. When my former partner was in Iraq, there was some people in her unit who were concerned about security with some muslim american soldiers, but when she was there, the only incident of an american soldier murdering americans was not a Muslim. He killed 5 soldiers inside Camp Liberty.

If I'd been with my partner when she was in Iraq, I would've probably wore a Muslim outfit. Not for religious reasons, but I burn easily. :lol: She said it was like 115 degrees in the daytime.

20. Harve

They're not trying to say that there are abundant numbers of conservative American Muslims and American soldiers getting married: there aren't. They're trying to humanise Muslims.

The whole point is that there is no specific relevance of a veiled Muslim / Muslim-soldier couple to the product. When you're a woman who wears a niqab or a burqa, to many Americans and Britons you're unwillingly the face of terrorism and some people actually forget that these Muslims are human: they have jobs, they share many of our hopes and fears, and they have snoring issues too.

Do you actually know what the definition of an Arab is or....
    Most Arabs are Muslims. It might surprise you to learn that Arabs actually form a minority of the Muslim population: the country with the largest Muslim population is Indonesia. But I don't see what the 'bad' part of those two categories is?

#20 Harve, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013