1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News It Gets Better/ White House

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by biggayguy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. biggayguy

Have you seen the It Gets Better video messages at The White House They feel a bit phony to me and self serving. What do you think?

2. Incognito10

I saw it a while back and I really like it. The fact that they took the time to do it and considering something of this nature would have never come from the WH under the previous administration is simply amazing.

3. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whilst I disagree with his policies it was a nice video.

4. blueberrymuffin

If it helps some kid, they can be as phony as they want.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The whole project was cheesy and does not do our community any good. The main line that always got to me was when you leave high school you will go to college in a big city and life will be great. The gay community in general is not doing enough to combat homophobia in rural or poor communities. Not every kid can afford college or is smart enough for it so therefore they may not get to have a better life and end up killing themselves. I had that happened to a friend of mine.

6. emkorora

emkorora Guest

I think it speaks to the character of our Commander-in-Chief to do this.

Although the current cabinet, legislation or other government entities might be less than favorable, I am proud to have a president who so openly speaks against the advocates for traditional marriages and relationships.

After all, in comparison to other executives, he has made remarkable advances for our cause. Naturally, just like on the topic of race, he has made understandable concessions and his power is (obviously) limited a great deal. And I am thankful for that-- that is why we developed the legislative, executive, and judicial branches to keep one another in check.

But no, I do not feel it was greedy. I believe it is our president doing what he was reasonably capable of to help troubled youths who feel afflicted because they are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.

7. Silver Sparrow

I really don't like It Gets Better, so I don't think it was great that he did it. I think the core idea is good, but I don't like Dan Savage, or some things the campaign does. It's a little hard to explain.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nicely stated.

And why would it be 'greedy'? It's not like he's running for office again, or making any money from it.

I think a lot of people don't realize what it was like to have anti-gay presidents like Ronald Reagan, who surrounded themselves with people like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and more or less brought the religious right into political power. That was an ugly era, lead by an evil man.

9. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Pat Roberston is such a ugly freak.

Feel like an idiot saying this is a nice video. It is a pointless video. It serves f*ck all. I wonder how much money was wasted making such a stupid video.

Bla bla bla it gets better *destroys civil rights* bla bla bla it gets better *unemployment reaches 80%* bla bla bla it gets better *declares world war 3*

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably less money than the Koch Brothers make in a single hour ($10 million), and less than .00001 % of what we've spent bombing the middle east. (countless billions)

And I think it's a good video. For kids growing up in Baltimore, it's a very positive thing. It can be especially hard to grow up being both gay and black, a point I think many people overlook. So when Obama gives this his approval, I do think it sets an example.

People seem so bent on bashing this, my God, you'd think he outlawed anal sex, or something.

#10 HuskyPup, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  11. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah but the video doesn't do anything other than give hope. It is just bullocks.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It helps in that it promotes the idea of being gay as something you don't have to be ashamed about, and moves it towards a position of cultural centrality. It's clearly better than having those in authority yammering on about how evil gays are.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This

He's the only president that ever did anything for the lgbt community

14. Incognito10

How do you know it hasn't helped?. The videos helped me and I enjoyed hearing the stories and perspectives and I wasn't even a teen by the time the project launched.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2013 at 12:46 PM ----------

And giving hope is a bad? Sure, everyone is not going to have the same experiences, but can't the attempt at giving at, the very minimum, hope, be ok?

#14 Incognito10, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The videos only help those who will be lucky enough to go to college or even afford to leave their homophobic situation behind. The suicide rate is still high and as much as I am glad those videos helped you there is still alot of work to be done.

You have a guy who has a severe learning disabiity and maybe unable to go to college or even leave his homphobic town because he cannot find a job. He feels alone unable to express his feelings to his so called family and friends. He can't drive and there is no glbt nearby. There maybe one or two guys like him in town but they are too depressed themselves to be his friend. Therefore leading to his isolation and suicide. There needs to be more outreach for those in rural communities who maybe isolated and that project is just words not action.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, here's your chance to reach out, and act! Sounds like maybe you're in an area you may be able to help people in.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I no longer live in a small town I live in a large city with my bf. But I'll still find ways to reach out.

18. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually I should correct myself. It is false hope. The video will do f*ck all. He should do something about it. Target individuals who are spreading hatred against homosexuals and so on. He needs to produce results.

Even I can create a video and go bla bla bla change bla bla bla hope bla bla bala moo bla bla bla

With all the power at his disposal he really can't do much other than create fancy videos, vomit out rhetoric, start huge pointless wars and bla bla bla. He's useless I'm afraid.

BTW I'm not having a go at you or anything. This is how I normally talk lol. Nothing personal.

#18 MrAllMonday, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  19. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And what is it you suggest he does about it, other than what he's already doing? In the U.S. we have this thing called the First Amendment, where people are free to say almost whatever they want, even hate speech. Where I grew up they still have the Klu Klux Klan. As long as they don't break the law, or advocate breaking the law, you can't legally do anything to them. If President Obama can't stop the KKK, how is he going to stop Pat Robertson or the like?

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much I respect the first admendment I think all homophobes should be arrested and jailed for life. Educate them until they listen or just let them did I prison. It's 2023 time to exterminate them.