1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Death of Nelson Mandela

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by gayphdstudent, Dec 7, 2013.

1. gayphdstudent

Hi guys, i was just chatting to another South African member here about the death of the first president of democratic South Africa - Nelson Mandela. I am not sure if anybody has posted on it yet but the news worldwide seems to have covered it to some extent or other. He passed away after being unwell for a very long time and is one of the major freedom fighters who have eventually led us to where we are with a constitution that prohibits discrimination including on the basis of sexual orientation. How well is he known outside of South Africa?

2. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people i know over here in NZ know who he is. I'd guess he's pretty well known, but I guess the rest of ec can tell you for sure maybe?

3. lukeluvznicki13

Nelson Mandela was an international icon! He was and still is a symbol of peace from what I have heard. Like on tumblr thousands of Americans knew him and posted gifs and quotes for him and many newspapers and tabloids across the world had his picture on their front covers.
    A very said time. I am sure nationally (south africa wise) there will be a public holiday for him.

4. gayphdstudent

I agree he is well known, often being discussed ihn history and politices etc..i am just wondering since he was SA president almost 20 years ago, believe it or not. Its good if there is still international awareness of his contributions and sacrifices.

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

He is well known in the UK. There was a minutes applause at most football matches across the country for him today. There is also a park in my home city of Leicester named after him (even though the city has no relevance to him), a memorial has just been placed there. I know he did wonders for South Africa.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NO! He must never be remembered as a symbol of peace. He was violent. And that's a good thing. We must not forget that he used violence to overthrow oppression. He believed in peace and love and forgiveness, but never forget that that peace sometimes has to be achieved with violence. Mandela's legacy must be of firm and violent resistance to evil, and forgiveness and peace once the old laws were ousted.

Please don't call him peaceful. That's the last thing he would have wanted. He was lambasted as a terrorist, and now he's falsely labelled as peaceful. He fought his oppressors; we can't let the white media destroy his reality so that they can call violence unnecessary.

7. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just never understood why people are so in love with him. They act as though they know the guy in person or something ridiculous along those lines.

I read a bit about him. The media are painting this guy as some sort of holy figure. I do acknowledge he has done good but please...don't go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HE IS GAWD or whatever. Chill out and relax. Wouldn't be surprised if people respect this guy more than their parents hahaha.

#7 MrAllMonday, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. WindSong

WindSong Guest

Mandela touched many lives all over the world. He opened our hearts and filled it with so much love and compassion. Our world is a better place because of him.

I will love him always. And I hope his life's work continues to inspire generations to come.

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always felt honoured to be alive on this planet at the same time as Nelson Mandela.

A true statesman, achieving massive transition in South Africa with dignity and via a path of reconciliation, rather than violence.

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You show a lack of maturity and compassion for others. When a well known leader dies a world mourns and the media talks about it all week or month. It is the way it goes get over it and don't watch the news if you cannot deal with it.

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2013 at 07:31 PM ----------

A great human being has died and now a nation mourns. If you don't like it don't watch it don't go spreading lies and spit on a dead mans grave.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go read one of his speeches. Listen to something he actually said. He was not for peaceful protest.

Remembering his reality and what he actually stood for is not spitting on his grave. I approve of Mandela's resistance to Apartheid. But the idea that he was peaceful is the opposite of what Mandela stood for.

If you think Mandela believed in peaceful resistance, go educate yourself now.

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care if he had violent or peaceful protests that's not the point.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then what is the point? I said nothing disrespectful. I was approving of Mandela. He's one of my heroes. How was I "spitting on a dead man's grave" in any way?

14. gayphdstudent

Hi guys, its cool he is remembered in different ways...lets not take the opinions of others as offensive. Its cool her is fairly well known around the world.

In terms of using violence, yes, i agree. It wasn't passive resistance which overthrew the racist South African government and the means used by freedom fighters is probably why they were labelled as terrorists.

In terms of why people respect him so much, possibly even as a religious symbol etc, i can understand why some would be confused. My understanding is that through his trial and tribulations which included spending a large part of his life in prison and watching other freedom fighters being killed etc, he was always prepared to forgive the oppressors. When he became president the existing government structure feared he would avenge himself and the others who had been oppressed but he forgave instead. Forgiveness for such atrocities is certainly a divine quality worthy of respect and adoration.

15. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No. I'm pointing out the obvious. A leader died. And? Yes he did some good things (so have other human beings). I have said nothing bad about the leader itself. I just find it so odd people are so sad about the death of a man who they do not know very well. All they aware of his achievements. They don't know the man personally.

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok sorry nevermind

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2013 at 05:32 AM ----------

Because if someone is famous or well known a nation mourns or the world mourns. It is the way it has been for a long time. It does not matter if they met them in person. It's common sense really.

17. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It does not mean it makes sense. You just don't know the person. Who knows what they are like behind closed doors. It sounds to me people are easily swayed/manipulated by the mainstream media. It is absolutely silly for people who mourn for a man who they don't even know lol. Its my opinion anyway. Feel free to mourn away.

#17 MrAllMonday, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  18. gayphdstudent

Maybe, but often even if not always, a persons achievements and sacrifices etc do reflect their personality...as do the powerful things they write which inspire people and in this cae, people around the globe. Based on many, many accounts of the people who did know him very well, he was a person worthy of admiration even by those who never met him personally. Much like other heroic figures in history even by those who never met them.

19. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Fair enough. I can appreciate that.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol I'm far from mourning. I Just saying this happens every time a leader or even a famous person dies its not unusual. if you don't like it don't listen to it.