1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trans man coaches high school sports

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AtheistWorld, Dec 7, 2013.

1. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Stephen Alexander | Trans man coaches high school sports | gay news : Washington Blade – America's Leading Gay News Source

GLOCESTER, R.I.—A transgender Rhode Island man is believed to be the only out trans person in the country to coach high school sports.

Outsports.com on Nov. 12 reported Stephen Alexander has coached basketball, tennis, volleyball, soccer and baseball at middle and high schools in his hometown outside Providence. Alexander was also a member of Ponaganset High School’s basketball team that won four state championships in the 1990s.

Alexander played basketball at Stonehill College in Easton, Mass., after he graduated high school in 1996.

He later moved to New York City where he transitioned from a woman to a man. His parents traveled to be with him when he underwent sex reassignment surgery.

“If I didn’t transition, I would not be alive today,” Alexander told Outsports.com.

2. Silver Sparrow

That's really interesting.

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    hopefully he can serve as inspiration and as a good example of how transpeople are just normal people, with no reason not to be instructors.