1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Lakewood, CO bakery owners say they'd rather "Go to jail" than sell a gay couple cake

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 10, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The owner of a bakery in Lakewood, Colorado has gotten himself into a pretty big legal fight. Despite being ordered to sell a gay couple a wedding cake, Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, says he'd rather be arrested and thrown in jail than make them a cake. If he refuses to comply, he will be fined, though the judge could find him in contempt of court and impose a jail sentence.

Colorado law states it is illegal to turn a customer away at your place of business because of their race, religion, sex, marital status, or sexual orientation. Phillips said to the couple, "I'll make you birthday cakes, and sell you cookies and brownies, but I don't do wedding cakes for gay couples."

On a personal note, I think that if and when we get married, we need to make a special trip to this guy's bakery to get our wedding cake.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-orders-colorado-bakery-cater-sex-weddings/story?id=21136505

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Lakewood, CO bakery owners say they'd rather "Go to jail" than sell a gay couple

Request Granted. *sound of gavel strike*

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Lakewood, CO bakery owners say they'd rather "Go to jail" than sell a gay couple

Good. Now can we start incarcerating bigots instead of mass imprisonment to fuel the slave labour of prison industries?

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm just glad not all of them are this way. My mom, even as a zealot, her motto as a self-employed chiropractor is that "All who come here will find care." There's several people she treats at no charge. I highly doubt she'd turn away a gay person, though she'd probably be visibly uncomfortable having them in the office based on her past actions.

5. nichison

People need to keep their personal beliefs seperate from their work.

6. Incognito10

I would go back and say, sure, I'll take a three-teir *white* "BIRTHDAY" cake...oh and throw on some flowers, please...

7. Hexagon

I wonder how many hours of jail it would take for him to change his mind...

Why is it so hard for people to accept that whatever they think of us, there are bigger things out there. We're not hurting anyone, we didn't bring down the roman empire, and we aren't going to destroy the world.

8. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I don't get it.. like.. customers bring in money. Who cares if they're gay or straight? They're saying no to more money. Are they really THAT bigoted?

9. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

That's just dumb. What is the point of throwing the guy in jail? Look whilst I'm all for businesses treating customers nicely bla bla bla, there is no need to have a full blown prosecution case for something so trivial. Absolutely dumb.

Prisons are for people who are dangerous to other people/animals/property/whatever. Not for some baker who doesn't want to sell some cake/not complying with a court order.

I hate it when people small issues like this out of proportion. No cake? Go to another business. Your feelings were hurt? Go see a therapist. Don't go to court.

Courts already have far more serious issues to deal with. Don't pursue litigation over something so dumb and trivial.

There are so many other ways of convincing businesses to change their attitudes towards customers.

I have had people/businesses be extremely rude to me for behaving slightly feminine but I would never consider putting them in prison or start issuing civil proceedings.

It may have to do with the American culture...sue sue sue sue sue! :/

#9 MrAllMonday, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

From what I understand and I admit I don't have all the details, although the couple has filed in civil court(and I generally share your sentiment, MrAllMonday, about frivolous lawsuits) the baker in question also violated city and (I think) state law. These are the entities levying the fine against the baker, not the couple. At this point the baker should probably keep his mouth shut, the only thing left for him to say is "I fought the law, and the law won."

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That was just his analogy was that he'd rather sit in jail, disgusting as it is. On the legal side of it, it you defy a direct court order from a judge, the judge can have you held in contempt of court, which is a criminal offense, and usually involves a fine and a short amount of time in jail.

12. Mrtambourineman

This is kinda the opposite to the infamous cake scene from whats love got to do with it.I think this is appalling personally. It is wholly unacceptable. I think he should be made to spend a week doing gay themed things.

13. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Yes but the court order in question is silly and trivial. This baker does not deserve jail.

14. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only

I quite agree. If what they did was, in fact, illegal, then fine them or impose some other sort of penalty that doesn't involve filling up the jails for someone whose only crime is saying "no."

If you don't like what they're doing, then spread the word, start a boycott or something- putting them in jail will just make them feel like martyrs; put them out of business instead.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The baker doesn't deserve anything at all, in my opinion. If he doesn't want to make gay-themed cakes, or Halloween cakes, or purple cakes, that's his business. It's not hard to find gay-friendly bakers in Colorado, even in Lakewood. I ended up ordering a gay-themed cake from a baker who's a born-again Christian. He not only baked it, he delivered it and stayed for the party.

Lex

16. Icebox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I personally think that he should make the cake, AND go to jail for derogatory harassment. Or, the couple could just find another bakery... I wouldn't imagine it's too hard, but that's my opinion.

17. Lipstick Leuger

People seem to forget one thing:

It is a privelidge to be able to own your own business, they are not guaranteed a license, it is not a 'right' to have one, you apply for a business license and the city decides if you qualify and if they want to issue you one. So, you are under their jurisdiction and rules, regulations etc. For instance, you need to be handicapped accessable, even if you don't believe that any handicapped people will come to your business, or if you don't believe that they deserve it, you still have to do it. Or risk losing your license. It does not matter if your religion tells you that handicapped people are evil, you STILL have to follow the rules to retain your license. If you don't want to run a business in the public venue, then create cakes out of your home for friends only. That way you still can make cakes and you can decide whos cakes to do. If you are public, you need to follow the rules. Discrimination is against the law, even if you don't like it. Enough with the "my religion says' shit. It needs to remain seperate and that is that.

18. biggayguy

Putting them in jail just makes them a martyr to many religious people. They should fine them until they comply or go out of business. Then they should use the fine money for gay rights.

19. Caleb93

If the guy doesn't want to sell cakes to gay people, so be it. No reason to get Big Brother involved. As a business owner, he is free to decide how he wants to operate his business and gay people are free to take their business elsewhere.

Honestly, I think things like this look bad on the LGBT rights movement. We demand that our rights be respected, yet we deny others the right to live by their beliefs. Asking for greater acceptance within society is great, but forcing individuals to accept us is wrong and it doesn't accomplish anything.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This isn't just about a bakery, nor is it just about gays.

Court actions are large. It won't be limited. It'll be allowing the refusal of goods and services to people based on religious/personal beliefs. Where food is scarce, LGBT people will have to move in order to find a supplier who will give food. It could well allow white-only restaurants and shops, no-Muslim policies. A court decision would stretch from the tiniest baker to the largest corporation in the state.

#20 Aussie792, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013