1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Queer Marriage--a good thing, or a subversive distraction?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DesertTortoise, Dec 10, 2013.

1. DesertTortoise

Marriage insures that certain benefits are distributed unequally. Why should a married couple have hospital visiting rights, and not an unmarried lover? Why should insurance and tax benefits, available to married couples, not be equally available to others?

That's what galls me about so much effort going into promoting queer marriage--it's like poison bait: come on in to the Big House, look like everyone else, keep your difference invisible. Why not fight for equality for ALL queers, for all people? Marriage, by definition, is an institution that perpetuates inequality.

Gay marriage = Queer in the sack, straight on the street and in the office. Classic tactic of the oppressor class. That was the deal for recognizing French citizenship for Jews. A Jew in the synagogue, a Frenchman on the street.

Any system that perpetuates the privileges of those who submit to its conditions at the expense of those who don't, is counter-revolutionary and should be challenged and opposed.

My personal feeling is, that if you're queer, and not a revolutionary, you're working against your own best interests, and definitely against the interest of the global queer community.

#1 DesertTortoise, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not getting married so this doesn't really bother me. So meh. If you wanna get married get married then. None of ma business.

3. sysreq

COUGHthis'll get moved. probably.COUGH

interesting though.

I still want to be able to marry, but I see your point.

4. Hexagon

A good thing. I agree with you about the nature of marriage, but I also don't want to deny people rights in the interest of furthering my own political aims. Some people just want to live a happy life with a loving relationship and some kids, and be legally recognised by the state in doing so, and I can't honestly blame them.

5. musicgirl18

Frankly, while I do understand what you are saying, and where you are coming from, I do not agree with it on a personal level. Although, I'll be honest, this might simply be because I DO want to get married and live a wonderful, if a bit stereotypical life, with a lady. Therefore, I will do everything I can to fight for gay marriage rights, mainly because I want them for myself. Sorry if that sounds a bit selfish. Also, I don't agree with you saying that people who are married have more rights than people who aren't married. Maybe I'm just not understanding it, in which case, could you explain it to me? Sorry, if I came off rude, I did not mean to be rude. :slight_smile:

6. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    where will it get moved to?????

7. jargon

Hmm, if gay people were to achieve legal and cultural equality with straight people sans revolution, then in what way is the revolutionary stance more important for gays versus straight people? It seems like if revolution is beneficial it should be beneficial for all social groups, not just particular ones. Or do you think that legal and cultural equality is impossible without revolutionary social change?

And I know I left out other parts of the queer community. I focused on gay people because I think its very possible that in the not-too-distant future homosexuality will become more or less culturally accepted in the West while polyamory, some forms of gender-variance, etc. remain taboo. Those are the parts of the queer community that I think really need radical and pervasive social change. Homosexuals seem to be able to assimilate into the dominant culture in the West comparitively easily at this point.

8. DesertTortoise

Musicgirl... nothing rude in your reply. And I certainly don't want to deny anyone the right to marry. It's not just gay marriage, but marriage itself that is an institution of an essentially unjust economic, political and cultural system.

Main thing that bothers me, is why so much money and effort is going into so-called marriage equality (ah, the irony, when everything about marriage is about INequality), when people are still being murdered for being queer, when trans people (especially POC) at rates higher than if they were fighting in a war.

Doesn't this say all you need to know about buying into the oppressor's culture? Becoming part of their homophobic, misogynist exploitative racist oligarchy?

Ya know, there'd be no Empty Closets, no safe places to come out if it weren't for those who put selfish interests aside and fought for all of us. Fought and suffered for it. Imprisoned. Murdered.

That's how it was not that damn long ago. We have a history. Maybe there should be FAQ posts for sources and thumbnail accounts of where we come from--of the multi-gendered heroes who made what we have possible.

And don't think for a second that it can't or won't go right back to what it was if we don't stand in solidarity. Equal marriage won't slow that down one bit, precisely because it is about dividing and insulating us in our private, selfish interests, one by one, two by two.
    Why would this thread be moved? It's about a central political, news heavy LGBTQ issue.

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2013 at 04:27 PM ----------

Blame got nothing to do with it. It's about pointing out the consequences of our private actions. We don't live as isolated units. Everything we do, or don't do, has an impact on those around us. Living a 'merely private life' is not possible. It's an illusion, and one of the most powerful in perpetuating the power of the oppressors. Nothing wrong with wanting that... somewhere over the rainbow. But other people live and die by the choices we make.

#8 DesertTortoise, Dec 10, 2013
  9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, this thread will probably get moved to Chit-chat because that's where LGBT topics go. It's not an actual recent news story with a linked article or video.

And as far as I know, or from what I've been told, marriage has the benefits it does because of kids. What I mean by this is that time and time again, the US has taken surveys from the beginning til recent, seeing how well kids do in later life. Each time, the kids with 2 parents have done the best. So in order to help those families out, the US gives those things like tax benefits. That's the foundation of why the right-wing is against same-sex marriage. They think that because it's not 1 man and 1 woman, that all hell will break loose and everybody will go into chaos. Because, you know, if we open it up, who's going to say it's not going to 3 or more parents? Then the kids won't have 2 parents, they'll have MORE! See where this is going? It's not a completely made-up thing out of irrationality, it's a pure strawman.

Nevertheless, I'm all for marriage. The word is basically unanimous with the idea that those 2 people are there with each other until death do them part. True, there have been divorces. But the idea of 2 people being with each other, 2 people who truly say that they will stick to the end is something that nobody can dislike.

10. DesertTortoise

Ryuichi--not a day goes by that there isn't something in the news about this or that State legislature about to support it, or this or that homophobic politician or religious nut slamming it.

It's an ongoing event. The media would have it that only stuff like explosions or fires or tsunamis are 'events,' cause they don't want anyone to think too much about continuity, how events tie into each other. I would be offended if this were moved to 'chit chat.' I mean, really offended.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I find that frankly rude and offensive. I plan to get married to my partner of 21 years next spring, and in a non-traditional ceremony in front of a statue of Thurgood Marshall, in Annapolis, one of our heroes.

All my life I've worked to support equality of race, income, gender and sexual preference, and getting married isn't going to change that one bit. I'll still be fighting. I'll still be a member of the SPLC, work with developing community gardens in the inner city, voting, supporting the ACLU. We're not just 'pairing off'.

Don't assume I'm 'buying into' anything. I find this really, really beyond the pale to be reading, here, as if you have some crystal ball that can see us all suddenly becoming 'oppressors', just because we're married. Of all the things I've read here, this may be among the most insensitive, offensive and rude. And perhaps the most outlandish and unsubstantiated by fact or reason.

#11 HuskyPup, Dec 10, 2013
  12. DesertTortoise

Good questions!
    Short answer, no, I don't think legal and cultural equality is possible without revolutionary change, social, political, economic.

Long answer: Queers are a minority. Assimilation into the oppressive culture has never worked in the long run--except at the cost of eliminating all distinction and difference. Clearly, queers will always be different as long as they are... well, queer. You can't ever change a self-perpetuating system from within, without significant outside pressure that forces adaptation. We lose our real political power by assimilation, become important only because queers (just enough of us) have disposable income that the capitalist crooks want to get their hands on. But the changes that can help create won't alter the basic oppressive patriarchal, male power structures. It will only make it a little more comfortable for those who give up the fight for those comforts.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you'd have the majority of threads going into this subforum, as most of them are LGBT threads. The things that you refer to, yes, would go into here. But the actual topic itself is a topic nonetheless. There's no actual article referring to a specific event, because that's what news is. It's specific things about broad topics. If, say, Brian Fischer said something offensive, or even better, something pro-gay, then that would constitute as something that goes into the News subforum because it's something specific. If you had all the LGBT threads in the past 24 hours in here, you'd also have the biphobia one, the religion one and the one Hexagon just made.

At least that's my understanding of how this forum works. I'm not a mod, so I can't say. My guess is that it'll end up going into chit-chat because that's where LGBT topics go. Take it up with them if you desire. But to my understanding, since there's no article to cite a specific event and discuss it, it wouldn't belong in the news subforum.

14. DesertTortoise

A culture that values difference, rather than handing out bribes to join it (which is what marriage benefits are, bribes to assimilate), that will be revolutionary change.

Chit Chat... means, stuff that doesn't matter. Trivia. That would be insulting.

#14 DesertTortoise, Dec 10, 2013
  15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually just rethought this over. I'm half-right, here.

What I'm trying to say is that the News subforum refers to events instead of topics. So, taking that Brian Fischer example, it refers to an event: Something that Brian Fischer said. If we just talked about people's opinions on marriage, that's people's opinions on a topic, not an event. See the difference?

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll have to say, that made me laugh. Everyone at work knows I'm gay, and getting married. They've known it for the 7 years I've worked there, and I'm not acting any differently. I dress on the bright/child-like side, and people think I'm quirky. And it's fine.

And everyone at the local dive bar (not gay, but diverse) that we have gone to for years has known us to be a couple and gay for even longer.

Getting married isn't making us straight on the street, or in the office.

Your assumptions truly baffle me, and it makes me sad to see so many judgements being passed.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you seen the stuff in chit chat? A lot of it is interesting stuff, a good half of it dealing with religion, another good third dealing with death. Both of which are extremely interesting topics to talk about. Frankly, this would make a very interesting chit-chat thread, as it's an interesting thread already.

But again, there's a difference, and there's a reason why chit-chat and news is separated.

News is events.
    Chit-chat is topics.

Doesn't matter if it's trivial or not. If it's not an event, it probably shouldn't belong in News.

Again, I'm not a mod though. But knowing the way things have been around here for the past few years, my bet is that it'll be put into chit-chat for the reasons I've stated.

18. DesertTortoise

"You know, I find that frankly rude and offensive. I plan to get married to my partner of 21 years next spring, and in a non-traditional ceremony in front of a statue of Thurgood Marshall, in Annapolis, one of our heroes."

I wish you a happy life together, HuskyPup

Not about personal stuff--it's the structure, where there are consequences to what we do that have nothing whatsoever to do with our good intentions.

Pointing that out is not rude. Else speaking the truth is rude. Marriage is a legal institution--a creation of the State. As such, it's a part of larger system. You do it, you're part of that system. Even if your intentions are as pure as snow.

You are very lucky to live where you can be open and out. Most people in the world don't. Like MLK said, injustice anywhere, is injustice everywhere.
    Our personal good fortune is opportunity to work all the harder for those who don't share those privileges, don't you think? Including, getting rid of special benefits for some, just because they're married--and working to make them available to all.

#18 DesertTortoise, Dec 10, 2013
  19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think our getting married is going to have anything like the doom-and -gloom 'consequences' you speak of. I think you're reading way, way too much into this.

What do you advocate, instead? I don't see why you see gay marriage as such a threat. Just makes no sense to me, why you paint it as so evil seeming, like all the sudden, we're in the sack with Satan, Karl Rove and The Koch Brothers.

I mean, we can all think as we please, but I did find it a bit off-putting, some of those assumptions, without even knowing me, or so many others.

20. DesertTortoise

Might be so. But just cause some have power to do something don't make it right. Never has, never will.
    Question authority! ALL authority. Guess that's what makes me a Radical Faerie.