1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Man pushed out of the Salvation Army because he's gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sokk, Dec 11, 2013.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Here is the article: Artister trekker seg i protest fra Frelsesarmé-konsert - VG Nett (sorry, in Norwegian, but you can use Google Translate)

OK.. so this has been a HUGE story here in Norway over the past few days. A man was an unpaid secretary for the Salvation Army. However, when they got the news that he was gay and living with another man, he was pushed out. They didn't want him as a secretary anymore.

This caused a HUGE outrage among the Norwegian population. Many people do NOT like the fact that this man was discriminated for being gay. Norway's biggest football team refused to give them money this year, they gave directly to a charity instead. Also.. the Salvation Army is supposed to have a concert with many known artists to collect money for the poor. Many of these artists have now BACKED out!

I nearly cry when I see all the MASSIVE support LGBT people have gotten in Norway. Especially since it's about gay people being discriminated against. It's an indication that Norwegians are changing too.. Norway has always been a Christian and Conservative nation. This makes me happy. Protests like this rarely ever happen in Norway, so the fact that so many people now stand up because a gay man was discriminated.. it makes me cry. It's beautiful! It's not even just gay people being outraged, it's straight people too!

2. Munyal

That is wonderful! Except for the fact that Salvation Army did something like that. That is too bad.

3. musicgirl18

This is really awesome! (Well, not what SA did, but the other stuff) I'm so glad that LGBTQ is supported over there! :grin:

4. Daydream Harp

Still a very very very long way to go for Transgendered people here it seems sadly though.

But yeah, I have decided to never donate anything to Salvation Army ever again after this. Helping homeless people, awesome. Being homophobic assholes, just no.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And even when I told my parents about shit like this, they continue to give money to them.

6. sysreq

Same for my mum.

Anyways I'm glad to hear that in the land of the damned cold even tragedy can bring SOMEthing good.