1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News "Stop gay marriage or lose your seat"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GeeLee, Dec 16, 2013.

1. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    MSPs warned 'amend gay marriage laws or lose your seats' - Telegraph

[YOUTUBE]9Heybq1s79Y[/YOUTUBE]

I'm staggered, literally staggered. They can't win the debate on the right to have bigotry enshrined in law so they're resorting to threats and intimidation instead.

And here was me thinking the debate over here was more civilised than it is in some other countries. :eusa_doh:

2. Beware Of You

Parts of Scotland are deeply religious. Especially the Highlands and Islands. Some of my Scottish relatives have disowned me for being a homosexual. Parts of Glasgow are not safe for a LGBT person either.

The ruling SNP party are funded by a virulent homophobe called Soulter who owns Stagecoach. While Salmond tried to act all progressive the grass roots of the SNP isn't that progressive they nearly kept Section 28 up there.

If Scotland gets independence I won't miss them even though I am of Scottish decent (I grew up on the English side and I identify as English)

The most accepting part of the UK is England, although fiscally we may be more right wing, I believe socially England is the most Left Liberal part of the UK, we were first to decriminalise, first for same gender marriage, adoption. You have cities like Brighton and Manchester which ranks among the top places in the world for LGBT people.

#2 Beware Of You, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It was repealed by a majority of 72 (99-17, 2 abstentions). Heck even Souter's campaign only attracted a response from a third of the voting population. That's not nearly by any stretch.

4. Beware Of You

But I meant there are elements in Scotland that are well funded that can capitalise on the religious sections.

5. Harve

Unfortunately I can't really disagree with you, but thank god the sectarian, dogmatic sections of the Scottish population are moribund.

GeeLee: the thread title is a bit misleading because it's not as if the group are threatening to kick the MSPs out their seats (obviously they can't).
    It's just that they're claiming that voting for gay marriage will make anger the public and cost them a constituency victory.

It's not a very credible claim given that they'll surely anger more by voting against gay marriage, and voters are swayed more by national party manifestos rather than the quality of individual, local candidates when it comes to general elections. And most voters are unlikely to know whether their MSP voted for or against a bill, let alone remember that choice until the next election. So either way, it's not going to have much of an effect.

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It can be read as a threat though. Why else would they draw comparisons between the majorities and the numbers of supporters in that area?