1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Utah legalizes polyamorous cohabitation

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 18, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'Sister Wives' case: Judge strikes down part of Utah polygamy law - CNN.com

In a case began by the cast of the TLC show "Sister Wives," a Utah judge declared the provision of Utah's anti-polygamy law banning cohabitation unconstitutional because of "Religious Freedom." The law does not specifically require the State of Utah to allow people to marry more than one person. In fact, US District Court Judge Clark Waddoups specifically stated in his ruling that "there is no fundamental right to polygamy."

Conservatives are now screaming that their worst fears are coming true: gay marriage has led to polygamy, despite the fact that 66% of Utahans voted to ban gay marriage and civil unions back in 2004.

Republican Governor Gary Herbert stated that he'd "much rather see decisions on social issues made by the Legislature," and that he still needs time "to understand the arguments and logic" that went into the decision.

A poll taken on the matter shows that 86% of Mormons believe that polygamy is wrong, and that 61% of Utah residents are against polygamy.

2. Lipstick Leuger

Gay marriage has NOTHING to do with Polygamy. If anything, the Bible does! It is actually outlined in the Bible as something that is approved of, a so called 'traditional' marriage. Not only that, but straight people are usually the ones in this type of marriage. Being in a polygamous realtionship is a choice, beign gay is not, and besides, gay is an orientation polygamous is not.

It's compairing apples to oranges.

3. AlamoCity

If I'm not mistaken, the only reason polygamy was so strictly written in the state constitution was because the early LDS church had strong polygamous inclinations and the US Government wanted to make sure that when Utah joined the Union, it would not bring its polygamous ways into the fold; that's why the federal government forced Utah to be strict in writing it's constitution that way.

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like good news to me. To each their own, as long as it's consensual of course so it looks like a win for freedom here. :slight_smile:

And yes, it has nothing to do with gay marriage, but is related to things in the Bible ironically enough.
    Still, sounds like a good thing here.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any conservatives saying that... (don't see a specific quote but I'm sure some are) ... hello, always been a question in Utah. Strictly one of their things, has nothing to do with same-sex marriage legislation.

I agree with Escapist though. With consent and no coercion, I see no issue.

6. Aldrick

Going to have to echo what's already been said. This has nothing to do with gay marriage, no matter how much social authoritarians and Republicans scream otherwise. If anything, this is actually closer to a "biblical marriage" than "one man and one woman". I see this as a positive development for freedom, people should have the right to define their own families without social authoritarians attempting to dictate what a family looks like. So long as it's a consensual marriage with no coercion involved, I don't think it's the business of anyone else, and most especially not the governments.

7. Grimm

Good for Utah. It's not my thing, but I don't have a problem with it.

And I'm sick of the fear-mongering. It seems like the only thing conservatives contribute anymore.

8. this is pretty silly actually - sort of non-news

how many states are there where it is still illegal to "shack-up" as they called it when I was a kid.

this is all that this is doing, they have not made multiple marriage legal or anything, they can still only marry one person,

9. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    See what mormonism leads to? Slippery slope!

10. Hexagon

For fucks sake, there is nothing wrong with polyamory.

11. starfish

That is my only concern here. There are quite a few young women pressured or forced in polygamous marriage, I would like to make sure we protect those girls.

Though just because some people are creeps and force girls into marriage, that is no reason to stop consenting adults from being in what ever kind of relationship they want.

12. jargon

I feel like a good rule of thumb is that groups that call their marriages "polygamous" tend to be more likely to involve coercion, while people who consider themselves "polyamorous" tend to have much more consensual relationships. (For the record I have no polyamorous inclinations myself; don't want to feed any stereotypes about bi folks.)

We certainly shouldn't be prohibiting polyamory because there are some exploitative polygamous marriage systems, but if you can find a good way to increase protections against the latter without interfering with the former, then I'm all for it.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of things. One, marriage equality is not like polyamory. Two, polyamory can be a good thing, provided it works for the participants. I know people who are able to negotiate its ethical nuances just fine.

While polygamy can be problematic, and it doesn't work for many people, I think we should resist bashing this as a bad thing and pretending like monogamy is the only ethical way for people to be romantically partnered.

14. Spitfire71

I think there's a relation to gay marriage, but not in the way conservatives think.

What consenting adults do in their private lives is nobody's :***: business.

That's the only relation I can make. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: