1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Colorado State coach suspended for calling opposing player a gay slur

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 23, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    During Colorado State's 48-45 win over Washington State in the New Mexico Bowl yesterday, defensive coordinator Greg Lupfer got into a heated exchange with Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday, which ended with Lupfer calling Halliday homophobic slur. There's no mention of Halliday's sexuality on any page, so it's unknown if those words were meant as a personal attack or just a childish insult.

In a viral GIF of the incident, Halliday has his back turned to the camera, while Lupfer yells something at him which ended with, "Fuck you, you fucking faggot."

After the game, Lupfer said in the post-game press conference, "I am truly sorry for what I said. It was wrong and those words to not represent who I am and what I believe in. I apologize for the embarrassment I caused Colorado State University, this team & my family."

Colorado State's athletic director, Jack Graham, had this to say: "I'm fully aware of what happened; I've seen footage of what happened. We're going to take a deep dive on this. It appears as if it was a very inappropriate event. We will take a deep and thorough dive around it. If it is what it appears to have been, that's not who we are, it's not who Colorado State University is. It's unacceptable behavior, and we'll deal with it appropriately."

Lupfer was then suspended for two weeks without pay by the University, and later said he's both grateful and lucky to still have his job. The incident is reminiscent to Kobe Bryant's tirade in 2011, when after being called for a technical foul, he called referee Bennie Adams the same slur which was captured by TNT's cameras in front of a live TV audience. That performance got Kobe fined $100,000.

2. pansy

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another reason for me to be mad CSU won... I picked Wazzu to win. He should be fired.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had 1 point on Washington State to beat CSU. I don't know which is a worse loss for Washington State: Ryan Leaf's spike on the last play of the Rose Bowl against my Wolverines or yesterday's debacle. That was so bad it almost seemed scripted. But I digress.

[youtube]UZMqS83n_vw[/youtube]

Skip forward to 1:55 to start.

#4 AwesomGaytheist, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  5. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can not fricken believe we lost that game. 3. Fumbles. In. A. Row... WOW...

As far as the slur goes, I am glad they are having a firm stance on that kind of language. Those coaches don't realize when they use those words they are also denigrating members of their own team who are in the closet.

6. blueberrymuffin

Yeah and on the play before that, the WSU receiver blatantly pushed woodson aside, and the ref started to reach for the flag and changed his mind. So it shouldn't have even been close.

I think he should be suspended only. That duck dynasty redneck launched into a full blown, unprovoked tirade and gets to keep his job. Meanwhile ron english got fired for less than this. Consequences for homophobia is so inconsistent it's laughable. Waiting with baited breath for when nick saban does something like this. Deep south + $8 million/year + 11 wins/year = ?

#6 blueberrymuffin, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. Silver Sparrow

At least the University seems to be taking a stand.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fired over saying something in a heated moment? Unless there's a history of inappropriate language I wouldn't be fond of that outcome...

Sizable suspension and loss of pay seems enough of me.

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sizable fine and suspension would sit well with me too. First offender and he apologised for what he said at the post game presser so I think sacking him is too far.

#9 GeeLee, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  10. what you say at those times really tells what you think, it is who you are - you open up. Can the homophobe

11. girlonfire

It's funny how people think they can say anything and then once there are consequences, they're "deeply and truly sorry."

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm of the opinion that things you say when you're overly emotional are merely things you're apt say when you're overly emotional.

Agree to disagree I guess. I'd personally just hate to see anyone's career ruined over a single mistake.

.... I am totally waiting for Nick Saban to say something like this though, as was mentioned, so I can hate him even more. :lol:

#12 Browncoat, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  13. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish more of the anti-gay slurs by people on TV were aired. What's it going to take to get people to realize that using gay, fag, queer, etc as an insult is not right? On the other hand even some people on EC think it's ok to say those things so I shouldn't expect better from straight people. The fines people pay should be given to homeless youth shelters and other services to help GLBT people.

On an unrelated tangent, is this a Colorado way to use the word dive? "We're going to take a deep dive on this. It appears as if it was a very inappropriate event. We will take a deep and thorough dive around it." I found it unusual. I'm familiar with "diving into" something, as in getting started on a job/project/etc. Just curious.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with her.

It's insane to be saying "oh well, he was pissed off." It's in the truly candid moments that we reveal our monstrosity, and he has done so here.

There'd be no debate if it were a racist slur...

Why are we so politically limp-wristed and biased against imposing strong social sanctions?