1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UK immigration policy condemned by the UN

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Harve, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Harve

UK immigration bill could create 'climate of ethnic profiling'

Bad sentence structure /// my own personal opinion incoming:

So for those that aren't in the know, the UK government has been bowing down to pressure from a misinformed, xenophobic public misdirecting their anger caused mostly by underfunding and underdevelopment of local infrastructure (shortages of affordable housing, reduction of investment in health and education) towards the many migrants who have arrived here in the last 10+ years (and beyond), who are in fact not 'taking all our jobs and benefits!!!1!' but pay taxes, spend their income, increase the UK's GDP and make a positive contribution to the state of our public finances, especially compared to UK-born citizens.

The UK government are trying to reduce net migration to an impossibly low level, given that emigration is falling and freedom of movement within the EU cannot be restricted. Nevertheless, they have proposed trying to treat EU citizens differently to British citizens and restrict how much access they have to public services, knowing full well that the EU Commission will correctly point out that their proposal is unlawful. Scapegoating the EU for a non-existent, or at the very least highly exaggerated problem is very much the aim here, given that an EU referendum is on the Tories' 2015 election manifesto, and not on their rivals, and that inciting public anger towards the EU will create a (false) mandate for one.

Particular to the UN's criticism, we have an attempt to institutionalise what I'd call racism, and basically make life difficult for refugees and asylum seekers, groups whose life is already pretty difficult.

We are a trading nation in a globalised world, and self-imposed isolation and hysterical nationalism are not routes that we should go down. They won't benefit anyone, least of all us.

Apologies if I sound like an arsehole. x

2. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:frowning2: I wanted to maybe go live in the Mother Country.

3. Beware Of You

Sorry but it isn't "xenophobic" to look out for your own country first, especially when similar policies exist in Canada, Australia and other EU countries.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If UKIP weren't enjoying the popularity they have right now this bill wouldn't exist. So if you're looking for someone to blame, blame Farage and his cronies.

5. Beware Of You

Since the Bill has Lib Dem and Labour Support I doubt that

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it's still xenophobic. Just because other white-dominated societies are also racist, that doesn't justify the racism of another. And Westminster can hardly be said to be looking out for a lot of their citizens.

Those immigration laws are really mild compared to Australia's, but still terrible. Of course, Britain could actually do something about the conditions that necessitate emigration from poor areas, some of which are caused by British actions, and many more from the colonial history of it. If they're so worried about immigration, they should do something about emigration.

I don't see the British government restricting the hundreds of thousands of French immigrants or Australians in Britain. But of course only the white and already well-off deserve to be treated as humans.

7. Sitri

As far as my knowledge of the EU goes, citizens of a country in the EU are citizens of the EU and are free to move and live anywhere in the EU (or the EEA). The schegen area covers covers all of EU (and Switzerland) except for the UK and Ireland, whose argument consists of "Islands are different*". These strict immigration laws seem violate the rights of every EU (and EEA) citizen unless they are from these island nations. Maybe I don't understand European Union law as much as I need to, but it looks pretty clear.

*Iceland (part of the EEA) makes no such claims.

8. Beware Of You

Actually Australians since they are non-EU require points and to be on the list of in demand professions before they can get a work permit, and are held to the same income requirements as any other immigrant.

9. Harve

Sitri - there's still complete freedom of movement between the UK, Ireland and the rest of the EU, it's just that us not being in the Schengen area means we need to show our passport when we enter and exit.

Many would argue that overly-harsh migration policies are detrimental to the UK economy for numerous reasons and as such, it doesn't benefit the even the 'natives'. The tightening on migration laws is based on the sentiments of a poorly-informed public rather than, yanno, fact.

It's not that the law itself is xenophobic, it's that it's badly thought-out, and the UN are criticising it for it being divisive and encouraging a culture of xenophobia, ethnic profiling and stigmatisation. I also see it as just another way of saying 'please don't come here' or 'look how much we don't want you' to those to whom the foreign office can't tell 'you're not allowed to come here'. This is as opposed to it serving a practical purpose or saving public services more time and money than the extra administration costs that would result.

(btw, I'm not trying to argue that every immigrant we receive will make a 'positive contribution' to UK society, but there has been a net economic benefit, even under so-called 'uncontrolled mass migration'. Plus it's not as if every UK-born citizen makes a positive contribution, eh? (God I hate that phrase))

10. Avi123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    After living a year in Edinburgh, UK, I found that much of British culture is defined by immigrants this policy is also harmful to culture. For example, the only food stuffs that wont give you a instant heart attack, is the indian, and indian and west asian food and culture is everywhere. Britain is defined in part by immigrants, much like the US.

11. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think there is a genuine fear amongst British people that their culture is being swept away under the carpet. Will restricting immigration do anything to address this fear? :confused:

12. Beware Of You

The reason the UK and Ireland are not in the Schengen zone is due to the common travel area which pre-dates the EU. There are no border controls for UK or Irish citizens due to the succession of Ireland, Irish and UK citizens enjoy greater rights in each other country beyond what the EU offers (including the right to vote in each other's parliament)